Reaction score
Bridesmaids

Release Date: May 13, 2011
Studio: Relativity Media
Director: Paul Feig
Screenwriter: Kristen Wigg, Annie Mumolo
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: R

Starring: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy, Chris O'Dowd, Rebel Wilson, Matt Lucas, Andy Buckley

Plot Summary: Lillian (Maya Rudolph) and Annie (Kristen Wiig) are best friends. When Annie finds out about Lillian's engagement, she is asked to be the maid of honor. She accepts and is happy until she finds out about all the things the maid of honor has to do. Trouble occurs when they go to Vegas for the party that none of them are said to forget, or remember.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie has been getting a lot of good reviews and I thought it might be the comedy that I've been longing for since "The Hangover". Obviously I went in knowing that this would probably be a female-joke driven comedy but I was willing to give it a try. Plus the wife wanted to see it.

Well I can report that the majority of the people in the audience were laughing hard throughout most of the movie. Unfortunetly I wasn't one of those entertained people. I did get a few laughes out of it so it wasn't a total bust for me but I was expecting much more.

To me, most of the jokes fall flat or have been done to death already. Take for example the Grooms sister who is an odd ball that does totally unexpected things. Basically the female clone of the character Alan from "The Hangover". Been there done that already.

The chicks in the theater really seemed to get a kick out of this movie but I found it to be slow and really not that funny. I have no idea what all of the critics are all raving about?

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Kristen Wiig was on The Daily Show last night and it was just one of those undefinably hilarious "interviews" that happens every once in awhile on that show. There was no sense to make of the interview, but Wiig and Stewart being two comedians really provided some high entertainment somehow....

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to see this tonight. Was sold out. Am gonna go tomorrow.

MCD, not having seen the movie yet, I would guess that maybe a lot of the women in the audience were laughing because they have been in similar situations that are portrayed in the movie. Can't know for sure though. Will let you know once I see it.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking LOVED this movie! I laughed practically the entire time.

I will definitely be buying this when it comes out on blu-ray or dvd.

LOVED IT!

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it also. I was worried it was going to be a chick flick, but I was so wrong about that. There were so many funny scenes, I left thinking, "I'd watch that again".

I did see the parallel with The Hangover though that MadCardDisease mentioned. I got over it pretty easy though when they were trying on dresses. I love crude humor so this was right up my alley.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chicks in the theater really seemed to get a kick out of this movie but I found it to be slow and really not that funny. I have no idea what all of the critics are all raving about?

Finally saw it last night. I can see why some guys won't get the humor. (I saw it with my guy and he thought it was really good, but, he admitted he didn't get all the jokes. No wonder. He's not the target audience.)

I thought it was hysterical. And, part of the reason a lot of chicks will think it's hysterical is cause we've all been someone, somewhere in that movie. Hell, I was the title character from about 1998 to 2005, lol. (I kid you not ... one year on my birthday I went to a bridal shower. The next year on my birthday I went to a baby shower. All the while being single for the good part of 10 years.)

I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it with girlfriends sometime in the near future.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"You're no longer my number 3!"

:p

Seriously, when Mia crouched down in the street and was like; "this is happening, it's really happening." I almost choked I was laughing so hard.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good funny movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I thought it was great! I thought it was going to become a female version of Hangover, until they got kicked off the Las Vegas flight.

My favorite part was when kept driving back and forth trying to get the cop's attention, lol.

I did have some sad moments and I felt really badly for poor Kristen but in the end it all worked out well for her character.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Much funnier then I thought it would be but about 30 minutes longer then it should have been IMHO. Or at least the ending kinda dragged for me personally.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much funnier then I thought it would be but about 30 minutes longer then it should have been IMHO. Or at least the ending kinda dragged for me personally.

Shave out that 30 and u miss her driving back and forth past cop. Freaking one of funniest parts of movie! :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't get what all the hype was about this movie. had a couple funny moments, but overall... meh.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it this past weekend. Loved it. Cannot wait to see it with my older 2 daughters!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
My wife dragged me to this movie, got laid afterwards, great movie!:D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your name? Stove? Are you an appliance?

This should be open. Civil Rights.

Saw this on a airplane. Good movie.

Scenes back and forth in front of the cop were funny too.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very funny movie.

I heart the living crap out of Kristen Wiig...she's incredibly funny and sometimes super adorable. Her penis imitation with the squint eye cracked me up. Also when they were "rollin'" past the cop...and then ran into him. She's just a fantastic comedian.

Biggest surprise from the movie was that Maya Rudolph could actually act...she's ok on SNL, but I assumed she'd be really bad in this movie...I actually totally bought her in this.

Yes, Megan and Alan should totally hook up, same type of character. However, they had enough differences and both were funny, so really who cares? Megan was more crass, and that from a female was good. She had some great parts.

The uncredited Jon Hamm was freaking awesome...what a dick...so funny. Lap Nap indeed.

We watched Hangover and Bridesmaids on back to back nights. Hangover was more funny, but there was more story to Bridesmaids.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife picked this up from Red Box last weekend and we rewatched it. Nope, still not that funny. Even my wife agreed that the movie was overrated and drawn out at times. Was it horrible, no. However it was far from great.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Funny moments but I found myself feeling sorry for Kristen Wiig. What a crappy life. It was kind of sad/ pathetic. The speeches at the engagement dinner were great.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't get what all the hype was about this movie. had a couple funny moments, but overall... meh.

100% agree. Everyone was hyping this movie saying it was the female version of Hangover. Even my wife sister raved about this movie. My wife and I finally watched this and like you though it had a couple really funny moments...but overall???? It was alright.

One of the most overrated movies of the year IMO.