Impact from the Manning Rumors

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If he is cut and appears healthy, how could we not be interested in Manning? However, this is still a couple months away. However, it is worth following and will make the next few months interesting.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No.

Brought to you by the same people that brought you the hits like:

1. Derek Anderson
2. Travis LaBoy
3. Buster Davis
4. Levi Brown
5. Etc., etc., etc.

There's a reason why Kolb was reinserted to the starting lineup everytime he was healthy. It's because he was paid to be the starter.

FTFY

But, you go on to argue it.

So, I can't judge talent, but you can ? PLFFFFFFFTTTTT!

Bull-pucky.

Actually, I should put it like this.....

So, we can't judge talent, and Rod Graves can ? PLFFFFFFFTTTTT!

Bull-pucky.

I mean Calais Campbell is so good in Graves eyes, he is not even going to pay him. He is that good.

Is there an echo in here? :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
There is definitely legs to the story. I don't know tampering rules but if Urban is considered a Cards employee, he's probably not allowed to comment on Manning.

DING

Shane is just being argumentative.

DING :)

If there is nothing to it, why are the Cards and Miami being the two teams as the most likely destination? Who knows if it will happen and I perosnally think it won't unless Mike B steps in and handles the negotiations like he did with Fitz, but there are plenty of signs, therefore smoke, of the Cards being a player if he gets released.

DING!

My biggets concern is Mr B ponying up the money. I have no clue what it would take as Manning cant expect full price with his injury issues. I am thinking like 3 years 40 million? The difference between that and Kolb isnt that much, is it?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
First off, if the team pursued a healthy Manning I really don't think it can be taken as too much of an insult to Kolb. This is Peyton Manning we're talking about, and though I think he is much better than he's given credit for here, Kolb is a serious health risk. With that said, So is Peyton. Still, he's the best QB of all time and he would have a very short list of potential suitors and we would likely be at the top or nearby. Ownership would not pass up the PR value IMO. Looking at teams who are a good quarterback away from being serious contenders, we have to be at the very least, in the top three. Add on that Peyton has a house here, we have fabulous weather, a dome, Larry Fitzgerald and a better defense than he's ever had, it's not hard to see why there would be interest from his side. The reason all of this is pointless though IMO is that Manning is most likely going to retire. The guy has been out of the game for like a year and a half and still isn't near ready to be hit again.

If healthy, I still think Kolb will be our QB in '12. Why, do you ask? Because only the morons on this board can watch the two of them play and think that Skelton brings more to the team lol.

Damn MD and Cbus bringing it STRONG today. MD dont be sucha stranger.

Anyone know where JoeSchmo is?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definitely legs to the story. I don't know tampering rules but if Urban is considered a Cards employee, he's probably not allowed to comment on Manning. Shane is just being argumentative. There are plenty of teams with QB needs. If there is nothing to it, why are the Cards and Miami being the two teams as the most likely destination? Who knows if it will happen and I perosnally think it won't unless Mike B steps in and handles the negotiations like he did with Fitz, but there are plenty of signs, therefore smoke, of the Cards being a player if he gets released.

:biglaugh:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Listen Casserly outright said he got it from no inside info and based it just off of our QB situation. If you are seriously trying to tell me that you dont think that Schefter puts things out there to spark conversation and to "make news" I really dont know what to tell you. been done for years by folks at ESPN and in the BIG name market in the NFL. Speculation is rampant and people WILL report on it just to get a rise. INCLUDING Schefter. It doesnt matter if he says its the cards Peyton freaking Manning is involved in the rumor and thats all that matters to get you and people like you in a freaking tizzy. Just because you so wish that it doesnt come out of thin air doesnt make it so. No matter how much you or Chris try and say otherwise.

Wow you got Urban to Admit that if healthy you "have to kick the tires" Wow that is some revelation right there let me tell ya. That is a far cry from Urban reporting that the Cards have interest in Manning which is absolutely nowhere to be found or even implied.

You got me. you convinced me. We may as well start buying Manning jersey's right now. Im headed over to NFLshop.com right now.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/01/22/on-championship-sunday-a-little-cardinals/

Listen man you know I got love for you but you are WAY off. Its not about printing Manning jerseys. Its about if the Cards are interested. And you have yet to explain why they WOULDN'T be. Not only that but actual guys who are paid to talk about this stuff are saying the same thing.

You cant look to Urban for stuff on this. How is Darren, a team employee going to come out and say definitively the Cards are pursuing Manning, when they have a fragile QB already on the roster who will get butt hurt about that fact? If we don't get Manning you might have screwed 2012 before it even started. That would be screwing over the Cardinals and he is a team employee. You won't have Urban report it until Peyton's actually visiting AZ guaranteed. So dont wait on Urban to tell you, cause it ain happening.

The fact that he is even discussing it makes you take notice as a sign.

But guys like Jurecki, Schefter, and Mortenson? They have no dog in the race so to speak. And all of those guys are chattering about Cards/Peyton.

So just quit being a contrarian to argue a single point and buy in. The Cards ARE considering Manning and they would be stupid not too.

No whether he comes here or not is a different story.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Rugby and his man crush on John Skelton. Lol.

Reminds me of Matty and I back in the day....:)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen man you know I got love for you but you are WAY off. Its not about printing Manning jerseys. Its about if the Cards are interested. And you have yet to explain why they WOULDN'T be. Not only that but actual guys who are paid to talk about this stuff are saying the same thing.

You cant look to Urban for stuff on this. How is Darren, a team employee going to come out and say definitively the Cards are pursuing Manning, when they have a fragile QB already on the roster who will get butt hurt about that fact? If we don't get Manning you might have screwed 2012 before it even started. That would be screwing over the Cardinals and he is a team employee. You won't have Urban report it until Peyton's actually visiting AZ guaranteed. So dont wait on Urban to tell you, cause it ain happening.

The fact that he is even discussing it makes you take notice as a sign.

But guys like Jurecki, Schefter, and Mortenson? They have no dog in the race so to speak. And all of those guys are chattering about Cards/Peyton.

So just quit being a contrarian to argue a single point and buy in. The Cards ARE considering Manning and they would be stupid not too.

No whether he comes here or not is a different story.

First off If and when Manning become available I think the cards will have some interest. That is just simple common sense. But to think there is anything other than very mild interest or actual smoke or legs or whatever you wanna call it is just you guys getting your hopes up. Its national sports writers/columnists etc.. trying to get fans in a tizzy and guess what IT WORKS! IE ratings and hits go up.

As far as Urban goes? I never said I was looking for any thing from him. Chris stated that Urban had said the cards now have interest. I called him on it plain and simple.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as Urban goes? I never said I was looking for any thing from him. Chris stated that Urban had said the cards now have interest. I called him on it plain and simple.

Not that you need to be told but we are here to debate are we not? I dont agree there is smoke. you dont appreciate that I dont agree. More power to you.

Not lazy at all I read what Urban wrote and I am reading what you quoted. But that says nothing of the sort that the Cards have interest or even implies it. Just his opinion that if Manning is healthy you have to look into it. Nothing more or less FYI. Thanks for the chat!

:shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggets concern is Mr B ponying up the money. I have no clue what it would take as Manning cant expect full price with his injury issues. I am thinking like 3 years 40 million? The difference between that and Kolb isnt that much, is it?

3 years, 40 million? LOL... if he hits the market and is healthy, you can probably add another 20 million to that.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
I think the Cards should release Kolb weither we get Peyton or not. Skelton is just as good as Kolb and I personally think he has more upside.

Note: Skelton sucks too, so we kindof need a Peyton Manning to rescue us from terrible QBs.

The biggest benefit of Skelton > Kolb right now is the staffs complete lack of faith in Skelton that they actually run the ball.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elaborate?

I read through Urbans stuff and found nothing of the claim Chris was making? Clear enough?

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2580213&postcount=4

You were just saying that you weren't asking for him to say that there was an interest. Now you apparently are.

Nevermind the fact that he can't publicly comment on Manning and the team's interest due to tampering rules. All that we can do is speculate, which is something that you don't want the rest of us to do.....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FWIW:

If Chris is still lurking about on this thread, I don't think that Kolb getting somewhere in the ballpark of $11 million in salary and bonus in 2012 is that big a deal if Skelton wins the starting job in camp or takes the starting job during the year. Why? Because $10 million a year is about the going rate for a starting quarterback in the NFL these days. We'll know whether John Skelton is Tavaris Jackson or Matt Hasselback by the time his contract comes around.

No one associated with the team would ever say it, but the Cards have to be disappointed with Kevin Kolb's performance this season. They paid a lot to get him (what both teams considered more than a 1st and 3rd round draft pick at the time), and they got 8 totally forgettable starts and very few recognizable strengths to build from, plus a long-term concern the next time he gets bumped on the noggin. On the other side is a Hall of Fame QB in Peyton Manning who has some health questions surrounding him. Sounds a lot like Kurt Warner, and that narrative is going to drive the story.

There are 8 or 10 days between when the Colts have to make a decision on Manning and when the Cards have to make a decision on Kolb. There'll be a lot of strum and drang before that date in early March. TJ has been wrong about Kevin Kolb from jump street, but he is right about this: if Kolb is going to get rattled because the Cards have interest in Peyton Manning, he really is the disaster that some predicted him to be.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were just saying that you weren't asking for him to say that there was an interest. Now you apparently are.

Nevermind the fact that he can't publicly comment on Manning and the team's interest due to tampering rules. All that we can do is speculate, which is something that you don't want the rest of us to do.....

I'm not asking for him to say anything. Nor HAVE I EVER. All I have said is that I haven't seen it. Not looking for it other than the fact to back up Chris' claim that he said it. If thats not clear enough for you I dont know what to to tell you. A poster stated that he said it and I called him on it and cant find it anywhere. I certainly dont expect him to either being employed by the team.

You are all free to speculate all you want and I never said otherwise please quote me where i did since your claiming that??? Im also free to laugh at you if you think there is "Legs" or "smoke" to the rumors. :D :D :D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
FWIW:

If Chris is still lurking about on this thread, I don't think that Kolb getting somewhere in the ballpark of $11 million in salary and bonus in 2012 is that big a deal if Skelton wins the starting job in camp or takes the starting job during the year. Why? Because $10 million a year is about the going rate for a starting quarterback in the NFL these days. We'll know whether John Skelton is Tavaris Jackson or Matt Hasselback by the time his contract comes around.

No one associated with the team would ever say it, but the Cards have to be disappointed with Kevin Kolb's performance this season. They paid a lot to get him (what both teams considered more than a 1st and 3rd round draft pick at the time), and they got 8 totally forgettable starts and very few recognizable strengths to build from, plus a long-term concern the next time he gets bumped on the noggin. On the other side is a Hall of Fame QB in Peyton Manning who has some health questions surrounding him. Sounds a lot like Kurt Warner, and that narrative is going to drive the story.

There are 8 or 10 days between when the Colts have to make a decision on Manning and when the Cards have to make a decision on Kolb. There'll be a lot of strum and drang before that date in early March. TJ has been wrong about Kevin Kolb from jump street, but he is right about this: if Kolb is going to get rattled because the Cards have interest in Peyton Manning, he really is the disaster that some predicted him to be.
Amen!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking for him to say anything. Nor HAVE I EVER. All I have said is that I haven't seen it. Not looking for it other than the fact to back up Chris' claim that he said it. If thats not clear enough for you I dont know what to to tell you. A poster stated that he said it and I called him on it and cant find it anywhere. I certainly dont expect him to either being employed by the team.

You are all free to speculate all you want and I never said otherwise please quote me where i did since your claiming that??? Im also free to laugh at you if you think there is "Legs" or "smoke" to the rumors. :D :D :D

Not sure why you would laugh if there are legs to this rumor. About 28 teams in the league would be interested in signing Manning. Why is Arizona having interest funny?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you would laugh if there are legs to this rumor. About 28 teams in the league would be interested in signing Manning. Why is Arizona having interest funny?

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2580567&postcount=83

I said clearly that if that time comes and Manning is released Im sure they will have SOME interest. But to say there are any extra legs to the story or some mighty smoke in the wind between the Cards and manning a this point IMO is laughable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
3 years, 40 million? LOL... if he hits the market and is healthy, you can probably add another 20 million to that.

The only benefit that a team would have in regards to Manning's price tag is that the teams probably won't know if he is heathly or not, which is what makes it such a big risk. I have to think that Manning will command about 12 million a year in the form of a 3 year deal with some sort of injury provision included.

What is poetic is that Skelton is the reason that the Cardinals would take this risk in my opinion, and would be the reason that Kolb would lose his job. Skelton provides a capable Qb behind Manning that is also cheap. While Skelton might not beat out Kolb for the starting spot in an open competition, the gap is small enough that the Cards have to feel that they could afford the risk of cutting Kolb to take a shot at Manning if he becomes available.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
FWIW:

Agree completely.

Mark this day down in history :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Not so sure about that. There is some risk associated with this on whomever signs him. Hes also 36. Keep in mind Warner got what, 10 or 11 million when he was a FA and went to visit SF?

I think a 3 year 40 million dollar deal makes sense on both sides. Guess well find out if/when he signs.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
What is poetic is that Skelton is the reason that the Cardinals would take this risk in my opinion, and would be the reason that Kolb would lose his job. Skelton provides a capable Qb behind Manning that is also cheap. While Skelton might not beat out Kolb for the starting spot in an open competition, the gap is small enough that the Cards have to feel that they could afford the risk of cutting Kolb to take a shot at Manning if he becomes available.

Yet another reason this all makes too much sense. Perfectly said.

Sucky thing is I am likely going to be back into talking myself into Kolb come April lol.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have to look more than just today. Again it isn't my responsibility to tally all this crap for one guy who is basically just disrupting conversations about anything on this topic for whatever reason.

If you don't want to talk about it, then don't go on the thread where people are talking about it. Pretty simple.

I agree. True or not, and I think there is something to this, this is a incredibly exciting topic. Fun to discuss.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave