Whiz has improved a little but Horton is reason why we have improved.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now before you blast me...hear me out and then comment...nicely.

First off....We are only 6-7 because of 1 thing(well maybe 2) the Defense! They have dominated teams lately. Without our defense we are 3-10, 4-9. Our offense still turns the ball over way to often and has been really bad. Except this time our defense holds them to FG's instead of TD's. But lets look at some of the the winning streak games.

The Rams first time...we get a 90+ punt return to win in OT against a bad Rams team. We beat the Cowboys because their coach makes a typical Cardinal mistake and the Boys lose a game that incredibly we have never done before. The 49ers dominate us and get 4 tries inside the 20...if they score 2 TD's instead of fg's they beat us and probably easy to. The Eagles bumbled their way through that game...in fact so much so that a fan blew a gasket on the internet.

Anyway..our offense has played alot like last year at times...it just happens our defense bails them out and keeps them in the game where they have shined in the 4th quarter. But if our defense had folded most of our games would have been out of reach.

I still think we make alot of bone head plays on offense but our defense gives us alot of hope...And I do agree..alot of hope. They are awesome. And our special teams is impressive(punt returning)

I hope we win out and if we did make the playoffs...we would be a tough out because of our defense and Fitz. But I am not completely sold that Whiz's system is what turned us around. Horton has turned us around. In fact let Horton be the coach and fire up our offense like he does our defense.

Am I wrong?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sure, come back and bash the coach after a great turn around some good wins.... that' so Cards Campos. I aint going to post how the offense has also changed, and how it is part of the reason why we are winning, regardless of who is at QB. I like your disappearing act the best.

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, the offense is still the exact same. Last season we finished with 2,921 passing yards, 10 TDs, and 19 INTs. This year we have 2,764 passing yards, 17 TDs, and 18 INTs. Rushing is exactly the same too. 1,388 to 1,361. I guess 16 games is the same as 13.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am confused, didn't Whiz hire Horton? Wouldn't that be a direct reflection of Whiz? Hasn't Whiz been trying to install a Pittsburgh style defense since he got here and has finally been able to? Help me out here, what am I missing?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot this.

You must be registered for see images

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We all wanted Horton's head a month and a half ago and now he's the reason we've made it back? No, we as a fanbase are too impulsive. People are saying this guy could bolt to be a head coach somewhere based on a month and a half of good defense. Whiz made the hire and we all blasted him for it at 1-6.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Horton is definitely the reason why the Cardinals are improved. The offense is also better simply by not having Dwreck on the field. They may not put up tons of points, but I don't think the TOP isn't nearly as horrendous as it was last year. When the Defense spends less time on the field and they typically do better.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nope, I have to give credit where credit is due. As much as KW sucked in coaching the offense early in the season, he has made excellent adjustments and has indeed turned it around in the coaching department.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We all wanted Horton's head a month and a half ago and now he's the reason we've made it back? No, we as a fanbase are too impulsive. People are saying this guy could bolt to be a head coach somewhere based on a month and a half of good defense. Whiz made the hire and we all blasted him for it at 1-6.

Agree 100% and it's not just limited to this subject, unfortunately.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agree 100% and it's not just limited to this subject, unfortunately.

It gets rough Mcgruff in here sometimes, but it aint like other sites that be shutting down when the drama hits the fan. I dig this place, there's always the kool aiders, darksiders, "voices of reasoners", flip floppers, crow eaters, calmer downers, die hards, die easies, couch fans, tail gaters, tail gaters that bring couches, front runners, the "I just got banned at the other site for calling them ""Beaches"", professional writers, hack jobbers with a keyboard (me), dudes that are really in the know, gloom addicts, never wrongers, crowd favotites, the most hated, a few spammers, bad spelllers, THESMEL, the only post every now and theners, "I still follow them because they used to play here"rs (they get the most respect from this hippie), alchaholics ( a close second), the folks from different places and still making it to games (3rd), all rooting for the same squad...our Arizona Cardinals.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
, there's always the kool aiders, darksiders, "voices of reasoners", flip floppers, crow eaters, calmer downers, die hards, die easies, couch fans, tail gaters, tail gaters that bring couches, front runners, the "I just got banned at the other site for calling them ""Beaches"", professional writers, hack jobbers with a keyboard, dudes that are really in the know, gloom addicts, never wrongers, crowd favotites, the most hated, a few spammers, bad spelllers, the only post every now and theners, "I still follow them because they used to play here", alchaholics, the folks from different places and still making it to games, all rooting for the same squad...our Arizona Cardinals.
And that's just Duckjake :D.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Now before you blast me...hear me out and then comment...nicely.

First off....We are only 6-7 because of 1 thing(well maybe 2) the Defense! They have dominated teams lately. Without our defense we are 3-10, 4-9. Our offense still turns the ball over way to often and has been really bad. Except this time our defense holds them to FG's instead of TD's. But lets look at some of the the winning streak games.

The Rams first time...we get a 90+ punt return to win in OT against a bad Rams team. We beat the Cowboys because their coach makes a typical Cardinal mistake and the Boys lose a game that incredibly we have never done before. The 49ers dominate us and get 4 tries inside the 20...if they score 2 TD's instead of fg's they beat us and probably easy to. The Eagles bumbled their way through that game...in fact so much so that a fan blew a gasket on the internet.

Anyway..our offense has played alot like last year at times...it just happens our defense bails them out and keeps them in the game where they have shined in the 4th quarter. But if our defense had folded most of our games would have been out of reach.

I still think we make alot of bone head plays on offense but our defense gives us alot of hope...And I do agree..alot of hope. They are awesome. And our special teams is impressive(punt returning)

I hope we win out and if we did make the playoffs...we would be a tough out because of our defense and Fitz. But I am not completely sold that Whiz's system is what turned us around. Horton has turned us around. In fact let Horton be the coach and fire up our offense like he does our defense.

Am I wrong?

Its not just defense:

1) The Cards are 2nd in the NFL with 40+ yd offensive plays

2) Appears to be less TO's by the offense lately except for the 2 Niners games

3) 2nd Half adjustments have been made offensively no doubt

4) Players on offense are actually excecuting better IMO

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And that's just Duckjake :D.

Especially this part:

dudes that are really in the know

The reasons the Cards are winning recently is that they listened to me and put a certain former Texas Longhorn in to fix the awful 4-2-5 and I put the Duckjake reverse jinx on Kolb at halftime of the Cowboys game. Without me the Cards would be on their way to...you guessed it, 5-11.

:D

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Yes-----the offense has improved a little. Just not nearly so much as the defense has. You can chalk up the defensive improvement to Whiz if you want, but it was clearly Horton who has his stamp on that unit. Whiz was still trying to play Joey Porter. It was Horton who introduced Acho and Schofield into the mix. It was Horton who singled PP up against the best WR the opponent could field against us. It was Horton who brought Adub back up into the box, AND who later got him into the proper position to play the pass. It was Horton who got Rashad Johnson playing the proper position to take over for an injured Kerry Rhodes. Whiz did not teach the defensive scheme to this team, Horton did. Give Whiz credit if you will, but it was Horton who made the changes that allowed us to win games when scoring less than 25 points.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes-----the offense has improved a little. Just not nearly so much as the defense has. You can chalk up the defensive improvement to Whiz if you want, but it was clearly Horton who has his stamp on that unit. Whiz was still trying to play Joey Porter. It was Horton who introduced Acho and Schofield into the mix. It was Horton who singled PP up against the best WR the opponent could field against us. It was Horton who brought Adub back up into the box, AND who later got him into the proper position to play the pass. It was Horton who got Rashad Johnson playing the proper position to take over for an injured Kerry Rhodes. Whiz did not teach the defensive scheme to this team, Horton did. Give Whiz credit if you will, but it was Horton who made the changes that allowed us to win games when scoring less than 25 points.

No one know how the changes were decided. So, we're all talking out of our bottom holes. Even if Whisenhunt hasn't said a word about the defense all year, he still gets the ultimate credit for the team improving because he HIRED HORTON.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do you know that? How is it that so many people here know which decisions are KW's and which are someone else's. For years, we've read post after post crediting just about everybody but Whiz for the good things and blaming him for all the bad things and for the life of me I can't figure out where you guys are getting all this inside info.

Also, are we the only team in the NFL with assistant coaches, defensive coordinators etc.? I don't see people taking the credit from Belichick and laying it solely at the feet of the DC or the OC. Why do we do this to Whiz? I think he's to blame for the bad things and responsible for the good things. That's what being the Head Coach is all about.

Steve

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would assume that using Porter was Horton's idea seeing as he has a relationship with him from the Pittsburgh days. It only makes sense. Porter did have a sack in the first game of the season against Carolina and was getting pressure on Cam Newton, but has since regressed and eventually suffered a significant knee injury. Blessing in disguise seeing as Sam Acho has emerged, who came out of no where to be our best OLB. I still think Schofield is going to be good as well.

As for Whiz, you cannot discount the head coach for making the decision to hire a coordinator in Horton who is passionate about his job and has the respect of his players. The previous DC, Billy Davis, was incapable of accomplishing those feats.

Holy cow, some of you go to great lengths to discredit Whiz. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've heard that it was Haley and Warner who carried the team for years. Now, we have to deal with Ray Horton carrying the team? When are people going to figure out that the successes of these individuals are due large in part because Whiz made the conscious decision to hire these assistants or promote certain players? The only constant in these decisions is Ken Whisenhunt. If you cannot come to that realization, then you really need to take your blinders off.

Look, I was becoming disappointed in Whiz early in the season like many, but give the man credit for learning how to make in game adjustments and becoming a better clock manager. I just hope this becomes habitual in 2012 and we become a complete football team.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes I believe you are wrong. The way we have won these games is how we lost the same type of game early on. The coaches have made adjustments and you don't win 5 of 6 games in the NFL by fluke.

I was wrong about CC and Adub as I complained about both in preseason. I am thrilled I was wrong, a fool or whatever I was. Try admitting this yourself sometime. It isn't that bad.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
well Horton has achieved what Clancy and Bill D could not, Our base 3-4 does not sell out for turnovers! The priority of our previous 3-4 were schemes that took risk to get more turnovers- and we got more. But our defense is not a one trick pony now.
Turnovers occur as a result of the opposing offenses taking risks against our solid defense.

Whiz is still stupid, allergic to the run addicted to the pass game. yea we got the talent to produce the big plays to beat the Niners. but in and out Beanie , impatient with the run games. We faked to Beanie over and over and over but never established the run.

We can run the ball- We choose not too run and that pisses me off at whisenhunt- perpetually. It would make things so much easier on the rest of the team, pass game, defense, special teams. Our Horrible field position- time of possesion- fundememtal football stupidity.

Just like winning 9-7 and going to the SB behind Edges Rushing, it govers up a lot of crap in the corner, but it still stinks. Our Rush to pass ratio has not changed overall, about 2-1 forcing the pass down opponents throat keeping the pressure on their defense- does not marry well with Hortons defense.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head coach's most important job is hiring coordinators to implement what he wants. He hired Horton. Nuff said.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
How do you know that? How is it that so many people here know which decisions are KW's and which are someone else's. For years, we've read post after post crediting just about everybody but Whiz for the good things and blaming him for all the bad things and for the life of me I can't figure out where you guys are getting all this inside info.

Also, are we the only team in the NFL with assistant coaches, defensive coordinators etc.? I don't see people taking the credit from Belichick and laying it solely at the feet of the DC or the OC. Why do we do this to Whiz? I think he's to blame for the bad things and responsible for the good things. That's what being the Head Coach is all about.

Steve

Logic dictates that-----Whiz hired all the other DC's before Horton too, and look where that got us. Up till now, we couldn't hold a lead late in a game to save our soul. This hire was his too, but it was Horton, (not Whiz), who spent every spare moment questioning and watching film on each of his defensive players, so that he would know who could do what for him in his scheme. Then Horton, (not Whiz) set about creating a scheme that would work for the players, (instead of trying to force the players to do something they couldn't do), a Whiz characteristic. Whiz has only recently relenquished his pension for pounding square pegs into round holes. This is no big mystery. Prior to Horton's hire, Whiz's big contribution to the defense was Joey Porter.

Yes, it took Horton a long time to learn what each player could do. Yes, it took even longer to come up with a scheme that would work, and yes it took more time to get the players believing in it. The bottom line, is that once that time was used, (doing those things), it worked------(unlike Whiz's offense, that is still trying to recover from the loss of Warner and Haley). Without Horton, our defense would have surrendered the usual 35-40 points against San Fran when the offense couldn't do anything but 3 and out for an entire half. We would have been beaten soundly, and we were in many, many games under Whiz before we got Horton. Whiz is just now taking some cues from Horton, and is finding how to put his offensive players into a position to succeed, (like running the ball). Until now Whiz has been strictly a pass first coach.

Sheesh------this is football, not rocket science.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We are in top 5 in 50+ pass plays (5) and lead the league in overall long plays (9) if four punt returns are included... the QB play is inconsistent but offense has definitely turned it around. No question defense is keeping us in the game and limiting the impact of turnovers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose