OT: Tim Tebow, ProBowl QB?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On Sirius this morning I heard a comment at first I laughed at and ridiculed continuously, until I actually started thinking about it and did some research.

There is a legit case to be made that Tim Tebow will be the 3rd QB representative for the AFC..

Let me say that again, because I know I lost some by the previous statement.. Tim Tebow may very well be named a ProBowler this season..

In the past to represent the AFC at QB, you needed typically to be named Tom, Peyton, Ben, or Phillip..

This year there are two spots locked up, Brady and Big Ben, after that there is not much to write home about.. Currently these QBs would be in the discussion

Joe Flacco- 241 YPG, 13 TDs 8 INTs... Passer Rating 78.6
Ryan Fitzpatrick- 240 YPG, 20 TDs, 14 INTs... Passer Rating 85.8
Phillip Rivers- 291 YPG, 16 TDs, 17 INTs.... Passer Rating 80.8
Mark Sanchez- 223 YPG, 19 TDs, 11 INTs... Passer Rating 81.1

Not exactly an overwhelming group, not really any deserving of the nod, IMO..

Then you have Tebow's Stats

Tim Tebow 151 YPG, 10 TDs, 1 INT... Passer Rating 87.8
Rushing-- 67 YPG 3 TDs

Add that to a 6-1 record, and an argument can not only be made, but SHOULD be made for Tebow to represent the AFC in the Probowl in 2012, the only question is..

Are you ready for some Tebow-mania?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm all about results, but his passer rating is almost meaningless.

You'd have to develop a new rating system to do him justice, cause he's not just a passer.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vince Young made the probowl in 2007. His stats that previous season?

Pass: 2,199yds 12TDs 13INTs

Rush: 552yds, 7TDs

It wouldn't be out of the question to see him there.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
He already had my vote. He just wills wins. He makes others better and step up their game with his playing and attitude. What I find funny is people that say he cant throw. He was putting up 40-50 yard bombs in the rain against florida state I believe his senior year. it wasnt a light rain either. A pretty nice down pour. All I can say is never bet against him..

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DC's will come up with a scheme that all but shuts him down.

Remember when the Wildcat was revolutionary? It took a few months, but now you mostly see it as a gadget play.

His not a good enough passer to stay in the NFL, after a few too many vicious LB's hits quell his running.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC's will come up with a scheme that all but shuts him down.

Remember when the Wildcat was revolutionary? It took a few months, but now you mostly see it as a gadget play.

His not a good enough passer to stay in the NFL, after a few too many vicious LB's hits quell his running.

That's great and all, but there are only a couple of games left in the season. I say he's a probowler this year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with fans voting, but on MERIT.. Who would you take over Tebow as the 3rd QB?

Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, or Matt Hasselbeck

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
next year Tebow might have some major problems after the defenses have a full amount of tape on him. What is Elway going to do in Denver in the draft and the off-season? This will be interesting to watch, as much as the entertaining play Timmy boy has provided

Last edited:
OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I am not sure about Matt Moore, while he has played better as of late, his start to the season was no not exactly memorable...

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the anti- Matt Moore, started the season like gang busters and if this question was after week 5 I would have completelyt agreed with you, but his play the last 6-7 weeks has been below par at best...

There is a case to be made for Dalton I will agree with that,,

Not sure Matty has a case here 220 YPG, 15 TDs 10 INTs, and a 82 passer rating.. He like Dalton scores points for bringing a below average team to be competetive, but considering Tebow has played half the time and has almost as many TDs as Matty with 1/10th the INTs...

In the end the biggest argument at this moment is Dalton, but even then not sure he holds up to Tebow overall..

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If Dalton doesn't make it as the third QB over Tebow there is no justice in this world. Dalton has done so much more than Tebow there is no comparison. Cincy wouldn't be where they are if Dalton wasn't playing well. Tebow doesn't even deserve it playing in only 7 games compared to 12 for Dalton.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
next year Tebow might have some major problems after the defenses have a full amount of tape on him. What is Elway going to do in Denver in the draft and the off-season? This will be interesting to watch, as much as the entertaining play Timmy boy has provided

You keep talking about NEXT YEAR he won't be any good. Since when are players voted into this year's probowl based on what MIGHT happen to them next year?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tebow deserves it. So does Dalton.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The idea is to sell tickets and generate TV ratings right? So Tebow would be a perfect choice to play in the Pro Bowl.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm all about results, but his passer rating is almost meaningless.

You'd have to develop a new rating system to do him justice, cause he's not just a passer.

FootballOutsiders has his passing DYAR at 5 (basically how many passing yards you'd expect him to have in a season over a replacement-level QB) and his DVOA -10.06%. He's basically a replacement-level passer (but still better than Kolb, Cassell, Bradford, Ponder, Skelton, and Gabbert).

Interestingly, as a rushing QB he's still behind Vick, Newton, and Freeman.

Since the Pro Bowl is a meaningless exhibition game, I really have no problem sending Tebow there if he can muster enough of the coaches' and players' vote to qualify him.

Matt Moore? 8 TDs and 5 INTs? He's a guy who's getting propped up by a great D and running game, but you'd rather have him in the Pro Bowl than Tebow? Because he's not as into Jesus?

Andy Dalton, who may get 3200 passing yards by the end of the year? Who got F-A-T on awful opponents early in the season? 16 TDs and 12 INTs? A rookie version of Derek Anderson in 2006?

Shane's just throwing names out there to be contrary.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Tebow will be in the Pro Bowl. Half the other QBs will decline the invite. It's been happening for a couple of years now. Remember when Levi Brown was a Pro Bowler?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I seriously haven't watched a Pro Bowl game for at least 15 years, maybe longer.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dansby sees God working through Tebow

:eek:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bcj7t

Dansby sees God working through Tebow
Posted by Mike Florio on December 6, 2011, 4:59 PM EST
Tim Tebow, Karlos Dansby, Yeremiah Bell AP

Many athletes who believe in God believe that God has a hand in their on-field exploits. Many athletes and non-athletes who believe in God believe that’s a lot of bunk, because it implies that God for whatever reason wants to make the opponents lose and/or look foolish.

As I said in the very first item I ever wrote about football for an Internet-based publication, God has far bigger things to worry about than who wins and loses sporting events.

But I respect the opinions of those who believe otherwise. And Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby believes that God is working through Tim Tebow.

Dansby, whose Dolphins were the first victims of Tebowmania, told Jim Rome today that he and other members of the team saw Godliness in Tebow’s stunning comeback from a 15-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

“Us losing to Tim Tebow the way we did, we seen it first hand,” Dansby said on Rome’s radio show. “Young man is blessed. Young man has a special anointing on him. And for God to show himself in that game the way He did, through the guy He did it through, it opened a lot of guys’ eyes on our team. And it brought a lot of guys closer to God, so like I said, everything happens for a reason. . . . My hat goes off to Tim. And God working through him like that, it opened up a lot of eyes. He’s a blessed young man and I wish him much success the rest of his career.”

If guys truly believe that, Tebow will be a magnet for certain free agents. If they believe God is working through Tebow and if that means God will be helping his team win games, why wouldn’t they want to play with Tebow?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Merited or not, he will certainly get the fan vote, which is 1/3 of the process. The guy is arguably the most polarizing figure in the NFL and is mentioned everyday on the radio and national television; mostly in the category of, "how does he do it?" Exposure, positive or otherwise, helps, especially when it is excessive.

Personally, I'd put Fitzpatrick in over Tebow, but wouldn't be offended if Tebow is selected as long as he continues to improve on his mechanics and continues his fourth quarter heroics. If anything, more TVs will be tuned in to watch the Pro Bowl than ever.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
wow, some people are just batty

And people wonder why I shy away from personal religion. Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs!

Merited or not, he will certainly get the fan vote, which is 1/3 of the process. The guy is arguably the most polarizing figure in the NFL and is mentioned everyday on the radio and national television; mostly in the category of, "how does he do it?" Exposure, positive or otherwise, helps, especially when it is excessive.

I'm not a fan of Tebow, religious-wise, football-wise, or otherwise (someone PLEASE get that reference!). That said, this season, sure, he deserves some Pro Bowl consideration.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose