The Chris Young thread

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How do you not know that he's had an injured thumb since July that is obviously taking away from his power?
That is an interesting point. CY is still our best option in CF with his fielding and speed, despite an ongoing injury.

But then, why has he not adjusted? The last I heard he was leading the league in pop-ups.

Why not, in all this time, stop hitting the bottom of the ball, with the thumb injury taking away from his power? He would have been more successful and it would have helped the team more.

That is why I criticize some aspects of Upton's showboat fielding and Young and Johnson's stubbornness at the plate. It is not about skill, it is about attitude.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is an interesting point. CY is still our best option in CF with his fielding and speed, despite an ongoing injury.

But then, why has he not adjusted? The last I heard he was leading the league in pop-ups.

Why not, in all this time, stop hitting the bottom of the ball, with the thumb injury taking away from his power? He would have been more successful and it would have helped the team more.

That is why I criticize some aspects of Upton's showboat fielding and Young and Johnson's stubbornness at the plate. It is not about skill, it is about attitude.

:bang:

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wonder what kind of record the Dbacks "should" have if they lived up to people's "expectations".

And see, I thought it was just a sign we were growing up as a sports town. Not "throw batteries and boo Santa" mature, not "beat up the Easter Bunny in front of 1st graders" mature, but we're getting there. We'll be a real sports town someday, just as miserable and bitter as those fans in other real sports towns.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And see, I thought it was just a sign we were growing up as a sports town. Not "throw batteries and boo Santa" mature, not "beat up the Easter Bunny in front of 1st graders" mature, but we're getting there. We'll be a real sports town someday, just as miserable and bitter as those fans in other real sports towns.
Like in Boston, where, according to Adrian Gonzales, you are either the MVP or you aren't any good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oh, you feel that, too, every time they pop up into a non-productive out. :):)

Hey DWKB, I'm a fan (short for fanatic) and I root to see my teams and our players maximize their talents.

Swinging for homeruns with a sore thumb to hit one every five weeks isn't very smart.

Do you really not agree with that?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, you feel that, too, every time they pop up into a non-productive out. :):)

Hey DWKB, I'm a fan (short for fanatic) and I root to see my teams and our players maximize their talents.

Swinging for homeruns with a sore thumb to hit one every five weeks isn't very smart.

Do you really not agree with that?

I agree that you think you actually know what you're talking about.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree that you think you actually know what you're talking about.
I'm posting to the Chris Young thread and you are apparently posting to an imaginary BC867 thread.

It's not about me, pal. It's about the guy earning millions of dollars to play a children's game and seems to act as stubborn as one.

But if you are posting just to win a debate, go for it. It doesn't change how CY has let his team down most of the season whether batting leadoff or cleanup, trying to reach the seats on every at-bat instead of adjusting to, as you said, playing with a sore thumb.

One-hundred and thirteen at-bats between homeruns, but still swinging for the seats every at-bat. That's the fact, Jack. :)

Think of how we'd be dominating the West if Young and Johnson were more flexible at bat and if our best player weren't such a hot dog in RF.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about the guy earning millions of dollars to play a children's game and seems to act as stubborn as one.

Sorry. It's at least the second time I've seen you write this and it cracks me up. If it's silly to earn that much money to play a children's game, how silly are we to PAY to watch him play it and spend so much time here writing about it.

It's not a children's game. It's a grown up game with grown up consequences. That children play it -- usually poorly and sometimes comically -- shouldn't detract from the gravity of winners and losers at the MLB level.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. It's at least the second time I've seen you write this and it cracks me up. If it's silly to earn that much money to play a children's game, how silly are we to PAY to watch him play it and spend so much time here writing about it.

It's not a children's game. It's a grown up game with grown up consequences. That children play it -- usually poorly and sometimes comically -- shouldn't detract from the gravity of winners and losers at the MLB level.
Yep. And if it was just as simple as "making adjustments" every one would make them and people would start hitting .400 or more.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I must say, it sounded somewhat assuring to hear the Guv'nor use the expression in the top of the 5th, "Coming up is the bottom third of the batting order, Chris Young . . ." :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I swear CY isn't even looking he's just hacking away up there. His head is up and his swing is all over the place...

He's taking some good pitches and has been getting some walks, but man when he swings right now, it's ugly. You can just tell he has no confidence. IDK what they can do for him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I swear CY isn't even looking he's just hacking away up there. His head is up and his swing is all over the place...

He's taking some good pitches and has been getting some walks, but man when he swings right now, it's ugly. You can just tell he has no confidence. IDK what they can do for him.

word

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

LoL never fails, as soon as I rag on the guy he gets big hits and proves me wrong. Maybe he can get it going with his bat too. He's still doing a great job of getting walked and running bases tho.

I think that's whats always so frustrating about CY, if he can just get it all going at once, he could be a scary player.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Just hit a 2 run homerun to give he DBacks a 2-0 lead. Hopefully that gets him going.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
2 run bomb tonight. 4 game hitting streak.

One HR and one SB away from the 20-20 club. It'd be the
3rd time since 2007 for him

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There is an article in today's AzCentral.com/Republic entitled, "Playing through pain."

It raised some interesting quotes.

Gibson loves that players want to be tough, 'suck it up'.
Gibson likes that Young and many of his other players are willing to play through pain.
Gibson said he'll (Bloomquist) do it to where he's not smart sometimes, but I'd rather deal with that than have a guy dive and say my elbow hurts.
We want to play through that stuff.
Gibson noted the saying, "There's a difference between pain and injury."

It was all inspirational, until the very last paragraph.
Young is hitting .151 with three home runs since the All-Start break.

It sounds like there is as much injury as pain. Or maybe in this case they blend together.

It raises the question . . . should CY have been placed on the disabled list earlier in the season, with Parra moved to CF to have him ready for the playoffs?

If it is affecting his holding the bat and making contact, and the use of his glove hand in the field, perhaps the answer is yes.

Maybe it's not too late to do it now. Would a few weeks of resting his thumb help us through the playoffs? It just might.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...ona-diamondbacks-notes-play-through-pain.html

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
CY not in the line-up again tonight... His #'s are now down to:

.227 average
.314 OBP
.409 Slg %
.723 OPS

A webster definition of pathetic...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Yeah, what a terrible player.

He always seems to rediscover his talent in the playoffs, at least from what I choose to remember from the 2007 season. It's really good to see. Young really kept the offense going last night.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He started picking it up last couple weeks of the season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah, what a terrible player.

He always seems to rediscover his talent in the playoffs, at least from what I choose to remember from the 2007 season. It's really good to see. Young really kept the offense going last night.

He started picking it up last couple weeks of the season.

He's doing exactly what we need him to do............. in order to increase his trade value! :D Keep it up CY! Maybe we can grab a solid #3 starter next year?? ;)