Congratulations to the 2011 Diamondbacks

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Before we get into all the playoff talk I just wanted to give credit where it is due. I dont even consider myself the biggest DBacks fan on this forum so an additional shout out goes out to Dbacks fans as well. From DbackJon to Lefty to BC and Deval, BIM, Crisper, Kate, 82, Krep, Coyo, Matt, Tyler, Brian and anyone I forgot! To ALL the rest of you Dbacks fans all the way out to the fans in the stadium; The crazy flag waving lady in the upper deck, the cool hair dudes behind the home dugout, and all the other season tix holders who hang in there year after year. This one is for you DBacks fans!

Baseball isn't like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, and it isn't like the NFL where 12 teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs in the MLB is an accomplishment in and of itself. Only 4 teams in the NL and 8 teams total in the MLB qualified for the playoffs. Be proud of that fact!

Nobody gave us a chance this year. Even local sports figures looked at our roster and shook their heads in defeat. Who could blame them? We didn't have an ace, our relievers were either young unprovens or washed up vets.

Now the season is over and the Diamondbacks have unseated the World Champion San Francisco Giants as NL West Champs. We are headed to Millewaukay (Alice Cooper pronunciation) to take on the Brewers in the playoffs. Who knows what will happen but regardless of the outcome, this season has been a treat, even a gift from the team full of nobodies who were all heart, straight to all us fans. Lets just enjoy the ride and see where else it will take us!

SO Congrats to the Dbacks, their staff, their manager, their GM and their fans. Way to go boys and girls. Baseball is an old game and there are a lot of experts out there who think they know it all. Well you guys just proved them all wrong and so here we come October! I tip my hat to this team and it's fans. What a year man, what a friggin year. Thanks for making Summer fun again from a sportsfan standpoint. I love this team and no matter what I'm proud.

GO DBACKS!
#Playoffs #neverleaveearly

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Nice post Bert. It has been amazing watching all the come back wins this year. It has been a really fun team to be a fan of.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Awesome post!

Didn't want to create a new post for this, but I was on CBSSports.com and looked at their end-of-year power rankings. I can't stop laughing at the last two sentences.

What went right: They won 90+ games with 78-win talent, which stands as the season's greatest, most unexpected source of mirth and wonder ... Even the post-clinch celebration was a delight, with the D-Backs taking a group dip in the outfield pool ... As much as J.J Putz and secret-unsung-heroweapon David Hernandez restored bullpen sanity following the 2010 disaster, don't forget to throw some love in the general direction of the Kennedy/Hudson/Collmenter/Saunders quartet.

What went wrong: There remain individuals within the organization who believe that Willie Bloomquist is a capable everyday player. Whoever disavows them of that foolish notion before Saturday should get a full share of the playoff loot.

Regular-season epilogue: My wife asked me about playoff matchups just now. When I got to the Diamondbacks, she cut me off: "The Diamondbacks? I thought they sucked." So there's your no-respect card -- go ahead and play it.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/...tting-last-word-amid-good-newsbad-news-ending

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
When I got to the Diamondbacks, she cut me off: "The Diamondbacks? I thought they sucked."
Going from worst-to-first, of course we did. But, for many reasons which all came together, not any more.

If Reggie Jackson was "Mr. October", Ryan Roberts has been "Mr. You-can-count-on-me-from-the-seventh-inning-on".

With Hernandez and Putz being the "You-can-count-on-us-from-the-eighth-inning-on".

Three out of twenty-five can make a helluva difference game after game.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to go to the Game 3 of the series, but do you know when they're going to announce times for the road games? I'm skipping class for it regardless with the season we've had, but it would be good to know.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going from worst-to-first, of course we did. But, for many reasons which all came together, not any more.

If Reggie Jackson was "Mr. October", Ryan Roberts has been "Mr. You-can-count-on-me-from-the-seventh-inning-on".

With Hernandez and Putz being the "You-can-count-on-us-from-the-eighth-inning-on".

Three out of twenty-five can make a helluva difference game after game.

The Diamondbacks would not be in the playoffs if Kirk Gibson wasn't the manager. He has taken control of the locker room and has the players respect. Also, they don't have the cancer players like Snyder any more.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I hate the starting time of the Sunday game. I got tickets to the Cardinals game, but at this point, I would rather watch the D-Backs.

I don't think there is any way to DVR the baseball game for later without learning the result of the baseball game before I get home.

Is this the text book definition of "a good problem to have"?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baseball isn't like the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs, and it isn't like the NFL where 12 teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs in the MLB is an accomplishment in and of itself. Only 4 teams in the NL and 8 teams total in the MLB qualified for the playoffs. Be proud of that fact!

This is one of the things I LOVE about baseball.

I'm not a big baseball fan in the regular season...however I love pennant races and the playoffs. Every game has so much meaning then. It is incredibly exciting and fun.

It sounds like MLB wants to make more of a Wild Card week though, which will take away some of that amazing chase aspect - the playoffs being exclusive is what makes getting there so awesome.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave