Enough with the Max Hall love fest, this game was all on our defense

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rhodes, Dockett, LSH, Toler ftw!

I'll add DRC to the list as well, for getting the pick, but i was screaming "GTF DOWN!!" when he was taking it back to the house.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Agreed.

Our secondary flexed there amazing skill today. Toler and DRC are just a scary duo.

Washington stepped it up this week as well, and of course Dockett had a huge game.

If we could just get some OLB'ers and some consistency from our NT and DE #2 spot in the pass rush we would be dominant.

Props to Alan Branch who outplayed Campbell yesterday as well.

Agreed.

Max Hall has to have better composure, cause some bad bounces could have made the day a lot different.

As for Beanie "I want the ball more" Wells - 20 carries for 35 yards, plus getting stopped multiple times in __ & less than 3 yards is unacceptable for a 239lbs HB.

Offense still has a ways to go.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll add DRC to the list as well, for getting the pick, but i was screaming "GTF DOWN!!" when he was taking it back to the house.

Not me. I wanted him to take it to the house. It's not the first time he's put a game away at UOP with a pick-six. More power to him.

:newcards:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense was awesome but if you think they were not inspired by Hall and the offense actually not sucking the big one like they did with DA running it your crazy. While Hall did not have huge stats his leadership and presense energized this team to play their best game of the season! Max played a huge role in this game even if it was indirectly!

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him get fired up after completions and making ballsy, instinct decisions when the line collapsed. Its a lot more pleasing to watch than Derek Anderson throwing ducks or getting sacked and showing no emotion whatsoever.

Like Rugby said though, had the Saints recovered possession instead of the Levi touchdown, it would be an entirely different story. Good for Max, he was fiery, made some nice passes and didn't lose us the game, while the defense won it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gambo and ash were just giving max no credit saying it was the D but who was the quarterback who finally sustained drives so the D could rest and not be gassed in the fourth quarter? Max Hall. Who completed 3rd downs for the first time all year? Max Hall. Do you think the D would have played that well if we had 15 mins TOP again?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not me. I wanted him to take it to the house. It's not the first time he's put a game away at UOP with a pick-six. More power to him.

:newcards:

And if he fumbled the ball and the saints picked it ip and went 80 yards for the score and win. Would you be pleased he went for the "pick 6" then?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if he fumbled the ball and the saints picked it ip and went 80 yards for the score and win. Would you be pleased he went for the "pick 6" then?
That is the thing, as long as he doesn't fumble, he needs to take it to the HOUSE!!! He should high step next time.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the thing, as long as he doesn't fumble, he needs to take it to the HOUSE!!! He should high step next time.

Answer the question :mulli:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.

Our secondary flexed there amazing skill today. Toler and DRC are just a scary duo.

Washington stepped it up this week as well, and of course Dockett had a huge game.

If we could just get some OLB'ers and some consistency from our NT and DE #2 spot in the pass rush we would be dominant.

Props to Alan Branch who outplayed Campbell yesterday as well.

Agreed.

Max Hall has to have better composure, cause some bad bounces could have made the day a lot different.

As for Beanie "I want the ball more" Wells - 20 carries for 35 yards, plus getting stopped multiple times in __ & less than 3 yards is unacceptable for a 239lbs HB.

Offense still has a ways to go.

Rogers-Cromartie & Toler came up with some huge INT's but Brees threw for almost 300 yards, granted we only got 1 sack so the pass rush didn't really help.

As far as Hall, the offense kept Brees on the sideline but 17-27 161 0 1 is not going to get the job done. The D won this game plain and simple.

Remember Beanie is running behind our OL which needs to open some holes for him to run through. Keep feeding him the rock, we drafted him in the 1st round to be the starter not share time with Hightower.

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
Rhodes, Dockett, LSH, Toler ftw!

I was having the same argument with a Pack fan who saw the stats and wondered why I was so pro-Hall. The difference is CLEARLY how he came in and motivated his teammates around him. If anything, Cardinals fans should be beyond excited for the potential of this guy. The team has his back after only one start, and he seems so excited to just be a Cardinal and have a chance. I will be rooting hard for him.

By the way, this is my first post on this particular forum in FIVE YEARS. Good to be back.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course not. Dumb question. But since he didn't fumble! I am all for him taking back!

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing too much Max Mania. I believe most of us are excited for the TEAM. The TEAM won the game, Max was just one player on the team. I never believe one player wins or loses a game.

I don't just give credit to the Defense either. We clearly won the Special Teams battle and had only 3 penalties for 20 yds.

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score

Believe me, that thought went through my mind, it would be so Cardinalesque. I thought he should have took a knee. I saw a replay today on one of the sports shows and one of the talking heads said DRC was stat-padding.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing too much Max Mania. I believe most of us are excited for the TEAM. The TEAM won the game, Max was just one player on the team. I never believe one player wins or loses a game.

I don't just give credit to the Defense either. We clearly won the Special Teams battle and had only 3 penalties for 20 yds.

Correct. From what I'm hearing it was the Cardinal fans that motivated the defense Sunday not Max Hall and the anemic offense. :koolaid:

As for the D playing poorly because they are gassed how do people explain the San Diego game? The Cards have the ball for over 5 minutes to open the game and the D promptly allows SD to go 89 yards in 7 plays for a TD on the Chargers first possession. The Cards have only allowed 20 of the 138 points in the 4th.

They haven't lost a game yet because the D was on the field too long so I don't understand why people keep saying this. The two losses are a result of stinking it up early and often.

If the defense was quitting because they didn't have any faith in the offense or because of offensive mistakes then they need to be very glad that Ray Lewis doesn't play for Arizona.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Believe me, that thought went through my mind, it would be so Cardinalesque. I thought he should have took a knee. I saw a replay today on one of the sports shows and one of the talking heads said DRC was stat-padding.

Come on this is the Whisenhunt era. The odds of DRC fumbling and the Saints running it in to win were less than zero.

I loved it. Put a nice punctuation mark on the victory. Lord knows we've seen enough Cardinal last ditch passes taken the other way for 6 before Whiz arrived.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Come on this is the Whisenhunt era. The odds of DRC fumbling and the Saints running it in to win were less than zero.

I loved it. Put a nice punctuation mark on the victory. Lord knows we've seen enough Cardinal last ditch passes taken the other way for 6 before Whiz arrived.

True, I suppose we could have also fumbled the snap on the ensuing kneel-downs while running the clock out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
True, I suppose we could have also fumbled the snap on the ensuing kneel-downs while running the clock out.

Or that pass to Patrick could have backfired or we could have fumbled on one of the two runs prior to the Pass to Ben. Or instead of DRC intercepting the ball it could have gone to a wide open TE for a TD.

But that doesn't happen to us now. The other teams are the ones missing the last second FGs and throwing INTs at the end. I mean in our last two OT games we've lost the toss, never touched the ball on offense, and WON THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!!!

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I loved the result but the proper thing to do for the TEAM was to take a knee instead of extending the live play and taking a chance of something bad happening. That's Football 101.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I loved the result but the proper thing to do for the TEAM was to take a knee instead of extending the live play and taking a chance of something bad happening. That's Football 101.

Well so is not throwing the football on third down in that situation. You never, ever do anything that might stop the clock for your opponent. Football 101.

But not this year. This is a strange season. The 4and9ers had 417 yards of offense vs the Saints and lost. The Cards had 197 and won.

BTW if that had been Dockett I might have been all for wanting him to fall down. Remember that lateral he intercepted a couple of years ago and ran around for a few seconds before wising up and falling down? Fun times at Cardinal High.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well so is not throwing the football on third down in that situation. You never, ever do anything that might stop the clock for your opponent. Football 101.

But not this year. This is a strange season. The 4and9ers had 417 yards of offense vs the Saints and lost. The Cards had 197 and won.

BTW if that had been Dockett I might have been all for wanting him to fall down. Remember that lateral he intercepted a couple of years ago and ran around for a few seconds before wising up and falling down? Fun times at Cardinal High.

The Jets last night 1) threw the ball over the middle with 2:04 to got leading by three 2) did not immediately fall down on the interception to win the game.
:iwin: :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Have to agree.

A 25% conversion rate on third down is not going to win you a lot of games. Winning this game was nice and not expected. There were some timely plays and fortunate bounces.

This defense plays too sporadically to expect the kind of performance they turned in Sunday every game. There are games to come where the offense is going to need to play much better than it did Sunday.

Nice win but nowhere near convinced this team is there yet. Are we getting lucky? So far yes however even luck runs out after awhile and good solid consistent play needs to rise to the top sooner than later.