The Magic of Whisenhunt

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cardinals had a long history of coming up with imaginative ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They took shooting themselves in the foot to an art form.

But since CKW has arrived that has been reversed. Sure they had games like the SB and the Titans last season but every NFL team has those.

Meanwhile the Cards win two OT games without ever having the ball on offense when they block a punt for a TD vs Dallas and Dansby runs in the fumble vs Green Bay.

They win a game when the OTHER team misses a chip shot FG.

Now it's our guy sealing a win with a 4th quarter INT returned for a TD.

And today they beat the defending SB champs without scoring a rushing or passing TD.

It's the opponents who are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and shooting themselves in the foot.

I may not agree with all his decisions but the guy sure has the fickle finger of fate pointing in the opposite direction.

:koolaid:

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of chemistry he's messing with. We have a -50 point differential. The only three teams worse are the three teams in the league which are 0-5. How do you win so many games like this? I can't tell if he's nuts or a genius. I thought he was a mechanical or civil engineer, maybe he's a chemical engineer instead.

Last edited:

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I still have problems with some of his choices. He made some very questionable calls late in the game. The defense was huge in this game, and I think they deserve a lot of credit. Whis almost gave this one away at a couple points, but people made plays to help overcome.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I still have problems with some of his choices. He made some very questionable calls late in the game. The defense was huge in this game, and I think they deserve a lot of credit. Whis almost gave this one away at a couple points, but people made plays to help overcome.

That's the thing about CKW. You wonder what in the heck he's brewing in that pot that smells so bad and then when it's time to eat it comes out delicious.

It's just so totally different than anything we've been exposed to in the past.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's the thing about CKW. You wonder what in the heck he's brewing in that pot that smells so bad and then when it's time to eat it comes out delicious.

It's just so totally different than anything we've been exposed to in the past.

Cosign. I fully understand why some question some (many) of the decisions this offseason but how can anyone not see that Whiz is magic.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of chemistry he's messing with. We have a -50 point differential. The only three teams worse are the three teams in the league which are 0-5. How do you win so many games like this? I can't tell if he's nuts or a genius. I thought he was a mechanical or civil engineer, maybe he's a chemical engineer instead.

Crazy like a fox!

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Cosign. I fully understand why some question some (many) of the decisions this offseason but how can anyone not see that Whiz is magic.

We question his playcalling and other personnel decisions also. It makes no sense to me quite often. I do believe the line between victory and defeat is very narrow. If you change one small thing something large is affected. We are 3-2 when it looks like we should be maybe 1-4. I trust our Coach. We could play a lot better and lose, but that is not what you play the game to do.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We question his playcalling and other personnel decisions also. It makes no sense to me quite often. I do believe the line between victory and defeat is very narrow. If you change one small thing something large is affected. We are 3-2 when it looks like we should be maybe 1-4. I trust our Coach. We could play a lot better and lose, but that is not what you play the game to do.

Hey I told you there was hope. Turnovers the great equalizer.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I think it is the law of averages. Cards never got these bounces in the past, had to turn around sometime. :shrug:

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, the football gods still owe us at least 20 years of calls, breaks & miscues by the other teams...we've been punished enough

I just watched the first quarter for the first time and it adds even more to the Whiz magic.

The Cards looked like horse manure and were down 10-0 and still won the game.

Just unreal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the first quarter for the first time and it adds even more to the Whiz magic.

The Cards looked like horse manure and were down 10-0 and still won the game.

Just unreal.

resilient.

seriously, no Cardinals team EVER got bounces the way Wiz's teams do. It's about time God started paying us back!

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I just remember that it was a Whizenhunt decision that put us in the DA predicament to begin with. All he has done to remedy that was to change starting QB's today, and get lucky enough to come up with a kid that has true leadership ability. Lets not be so quick to forget that Whiz created most of this mess with his unfortunate choice of QB's. No matter how hard Whiz tries, he will NEVER make a leader out of DA, even IF he can get him to become accurate.

That's the big difference between Max and DA. When DA screws up, the team lays down and quits with him. When Max screws up, he owns his mistakes, (AND MORE IMPORTANTLY TRIES TO CORRECT THEM). By his example, he demands that his team-mates do the same, and for him they do. They overcame every screw-up that we made today, and won a HUGE GAME. They overcame those screwups with plays that caused the opponent to screw up, and they took adavantage of those screwups. They accepted Max as their leader. That will NEVER happen with DA.

I'll not be so quick to forget that Whiz had an awful lot to do with DA being our QB this year. In my opinion, that whole thing was ill-conceived, and more knee jerk than carefully studied. There is still more to fix, as we still cannot stop the run up the middle, even with number 5 and 6 running backs in the game against us like today. Whizenhunt owns that problem too. He still needs to acknowlege that Watson needs to replace Bryan Robinson at the starting nose position. You can't stop the run with a nose tackle that can be pushed around like he is on skates.

Unless we address this problem over the bye week, we will continue to give up huge chunks of possession time which will wear our defense out. We will face much better running backs than we have the past two weeks, and we had better be ready for that. Whiz can solve that problem, or he can continue to ignore it. I saw today how our defense responded when Watson finally got into the game with the run stuffing. So will other co-ordinators when they see the tape, and if they face BR at the nose, they will exploit it just like every one else has.

And lets not forget, we are still just one play away from having DA back under center.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just remember that it was a Whizenhunt decision that put us in the DA predicament to begin with. All he has done to remedy that was to change starting QB's today, and get lucky enough to come up with a kid that has true leadership ability. Lets not be so quick to forget that Whiz created most of this mess with his unfortunate choice of QB's. No matter how hard Whiz tries, he will NEVER make a leader out of DA, even IF he can get him to become accurate.

That's the big difference between Max and DA. When DA screws up, the team lays down and quits with him. When Max screws up, he owns his mistakes, (AND MORE IMPORTANTLY TRIES TO CORRECT THEM). By his example, he demands that his team-mates do the same, and for him they do. They overcame every screw-up that we made today, and won a HUGE GAME. They overcame those screwups with plays that caused the opponent to screw up, and they took adavantage of those screwups. They accepted Max as their leader. That will NEVER happen with DA.

I'll not be so quick to forget that Whiz had an awful lot to do with DA being our QB this year. In my opinion, that whole thing was ill-conceived, and more knee jerk than carefully studied. There is still more to fix, as we still cannot stop the run up the middle, even with number 5 and 6 running backs in the game against us like today. Whizenhunt owns that problem too. He still needs to acknowlege that Watson needs to replace Bryan Robinson at the starting nose position. You can't stop the run with a nose tackle that can be pushed around like he is on skates.

Unless we address this problem over the bye week, we will continue to give up huge chunks of possession time which will wear our defense out. We will face much better running backs than we have the past two weeks, and we had better be ready for that. Whiz can solve that problem, or he can continue to ignore it. I saw today how our defense responded when Watson finally got into the game with the run stuffing. So will other co-ordinators when they see the tape, and if they face BR at the nose, they will exploit it just like every one else has.

And lets not forget, we are still just one play away from having DA back under center.

Translation = I LOVE MATT LEINART!

:)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Goalline situation, Where we passed on 2nd down, end of the 2nd quarter. Killed me.

Throwing the ball 3rd & inches in the 3rd quarter killed me.

Maybe Beanie Wells sucks but we have a 320lb OT, a 330 lb OG, a 254lb FB, and a 239lbs HB last I checked.

RUN THE ROCK!

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Translation = I LOVE MATT LEINART!

:)

Wrong Shane-----the real translation is that Leinart never had a shot to ever be our starting QB under Whizenhunt. Whizenhunt is an engineer, He does things, not because he has a feeling about them, but because he truly believes that everything can be measured and managed. He is a master manipulator.

If you think he has given up on DA, think again. Even Darren Urban told us that one of the biggest reasons that Whiz went with Max Hall to be the starter, was because Whiz felt that it would take most of the pressure off DA to bring him off the bench cold. He DID NOT MAKE MAX THE STARTER BECAUSE HE THOUGHT WE HAD A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN WITH HIM.

Whiz still feels that DA gives him the best chance to succeed BECAUSE HE HAS THE MEASUREABLES-----all the things that an engineer holds in high esteem because to him they make sense.

Look at his record so far. He is almost obsessed with things like arm strength, height, weight, speed, and stats. That is why he inactivated Dan Williams for a game-----he didn't reach a measureable (he was six thousandths of one percent overweight).

I would almost bet that Whiz is almost on overload today, trying to figure out how we won that game. It probably makes no sense at all to him. We didn't pass for a TD, we didn't run for a TD, yet we managed to put 30 points on the board.

The truth is that WE WON BECAUSE MAX HALL GOT HIS CHANCE TO PROVE THAT HE IS A BORN LEADER OF MEN. He went out on that field, and (BY SETTING AN EXAMPLE FOR HIS TEAM-MATES, GOT THEM TO BUY INTO WHAT HE WAS SELLING). Max Hall won this teams support and their loyalty, and he didn't do it with a big arm, or size, or speed. He did it because he had a FEELING FOR IT. Max Hall displayed what is called COMMAND PRESENCE. The players recognized it immediately. I doubt that Whiz ever will. These players, (collectively), would follow Max Hall into the very breech of hell itself, if he led them there. They proved it yesterday by overcoming every obstacle they faced, and every mistake they made, in order to win this game.

Meanwhile, Whiz got the opportunity that he was waiting for, just before the half. Max was blasted on the play where he turned upfield for the goal-line and gave up his body to get a score. He failed and was blasted at the 3 yard line. Levi picked up his fumble, and scored, but Max had to be helped off the field.

The very next series, Whiz brought in DA. This was the point at which he could prove his theory. DA threw a strike to Williams over the middle, then threw a high-ball to Williams again on the very next play. Williams paid the price for going up for that catch with a huge hit to his back. He did not return. Whiz's manipulation failed-----again. I'll bet that he is going crazy today trying to figure out why that is. All the measurables said that the situation was perfect for DA to succeed. The engineer in Whiz must be totally exasperated.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Goalline situation, Where we passed on 2nd down, end of the 2nd quarter. Killed me.

Throwing the ball 3rd & inches in the 3rd quarter killed me.

Maybe Beanie Wells sucks but we have a 320lb OT, a 330 lb OG, a 254lb FB, and a 239lbs HB last I checked.

RUN THE ROCK!

Exactly. When Patrick fumbled in the fourth quarter, it showed exactly why you do not put the ball in the air in that situation. History has shown that the Cards are a Murphy's Law team.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
There is still more to fix, as we still cannot stop the run up the middle, even with number 5 and 6 running backs in the game against us like today. Whizenhunt owns that problem too. He still needs to acknowlege that Watson needs to replace Bryan Robinson at the starting nose position. You can't stop the run with a nose tackle that can be pushed around like he is on skates.

It's just not the NT position in stopping the run, the bigger problem up until yesterday has been Porter. Teams have been running right at Joey or cutting back to the edge on both sides. As you say though Fish, defending the run is still a major issue & thank goodness the Aints got away from it because of the score.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals had a long history of coming up with imaginative ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They took shooting themselves in the foot to an art form.

But since CKW has arrived that has been reversed. Sure they had games like the SB and the Titans last season but every NFL team has those.

Meanwhile the Cards win two OT games without ever having the ball on offense when they block a punt for a TD vs Dallas and Dansby runs in the fumble vs Green Bay.

They win a game when the OTHER team misses a chip shot FG.

Now it's our guy sealing a win with a 4th quarter INT returned for a TD.

And today they beat the defending SB champs without scoring a rushing or passing TD.

It's the opponents who are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and shooting themselves in the foot.

I may not agree with all his decisions but the guy sure has the fickle finger of fate pointing in the opposite direction.

:koolaid:

Now here's the Dj I know and love.:D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only wish that the touchdown scored by Levi Brown could have somehow bounced off his facemask thereby erasing the memory of the Shelton disaster forever

seesred

Reaction score
All coaches make mistakes. All of them make from time to time bad decisions on players, plays, and time managment. The big difference is between the winners and losers. Whiz through all his faults is a winner. His team follows him for the most part. His pick of DA was a mistake, his change to a rookie after just 2 1/2 games genus.

He is the kind of coach that is not afraid of what people think. His head is in the game. He doesn't be little his guys. He keeps everything in front of himself.

I'm very happy that Whiz is our coach and will stay for many years to come. He knows how to deal with change. Guys come and go and he knows talent almost all of the time.

We are off to see the whizard the wonderful Whizard of Cards!

GBR

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on Urban's blog (sorry if it has been mentioned before) but the Cards have now followed 9 straight loses with wins. We haven't had back to back loses since 2008. While many may disagree with some of his decisions Whiz is the best coach we have ever had.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The truth is that WE WON BECAUSE MAX HALL GOT HIS CHANCE TO PROVE THAT HE IS A BORN LEADER OF MEN. He went out on that field, and (BY SETTING AN EXAMPLE FOR HIS TEAM-MATES, GOT THEM TO BUY INTO WHAT HE WAS SELLING). Max Hall won this teams support and their loyalty, and he didn't do it with a big arm, or size, or speed. He did it because he had a FEELING FOR IT. Max Hall displayed what is called COMMAND PRESENCE. The players recognized it immediately. I doubt that Whiz ever will. These players, (collectively), would follow Max Hall into the very breech of hell itself, if he led them there. They proved it yesterday by overcoming every obstacle they faced, and every mistake they made, in order to win this game.

Are you serious?? You claim in your first post here that "Whiz got lucky"
that Max proved his leadership skills... as if Whiz didn't see those skills in Max when he picked him - when 32 other teams chose not to? What exactly did you think Whiz saw in Max, if not his leadership qualities?? His exceptional height? His rocket arm?? You have to be kidding with this crap, aren't you??

:mulli:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Urban's blog (sorry if it has been mentioned before) but the Cards have now followed 9 straight loses with wins. We haven't had back to back loses since 2008. While many may disagree with some of his decisions Whiz is the best coach we have ever had.

Yup. Thats a pretty impressive stat actually.