Just returned from the game...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man that was FUN!! Here's some quick thoughts:

- There can be no questioning our home field advantage. The fans rocked the house, again! And it had a huge impact on both our team and the Saints. Love UoP!!

- Max Hall is one tough hombre. Fearless and smart. Thru a stupid pick right out of the shoot. But then settled down and got into the flow of the game. He mentioned in the post-game presser that he made a bunch of mistakes. And of course, he did - but is that really a surprise? IMHO, he showed very solid decision-making, an ability to deliver the ball when and where it needs to be, and a sense of leadership that is rarely found in rookies, let alone undrafted rookies.

- Kerry Rhodes is simply tremendous. Can't believe anyone would still attempt to argue that Rolle is better. It's not even close. Rhodes is simply a pro's pro. He is always where he is supposed to be (sorta like Antrel was never where he was supposed to be...). He's extremely athletic. Extremely strong. Great size and speed. And he's a leader on the defense. What a GREAT pickup!!

- Graham is such a tremendous weapon.

- Hyphen... see Graham!!

Bottom line - this is a bigtime work in progress... We didn't score a TD on offense. We couldn't run and we could barely protect Hall today (sacked 4 times and knocked around pretty often behind the line). We only gave up 85 yards on the ground, but in truth, I always felt during the entire game that had Bush or Thomas been playing, they would have gashed us... Our front 7 remains a bigtime liability... Can't believe how poorly they are playing.
However, this year, more than most, appears to be one of those years where winning 7 or 8 games might just be enough to get it done in the West. We're 2 & 0 at home. With a bye next week, we get Breaston and Doucet back the week after. Who knows... getting to 8 wins seems quite possible. Even with an undrafted rookie steering the ship!!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't talk, screamed so much that I have a sore throat. The defense was awesome. Congratulations to the entire team and especially Coach Whiz.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
82CardsGrad, I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I'm just not even capable of a few quick thoughts right now. It was fun, my throat hurts...that's about as far as I can get.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
82CardsGrad, I don't disagree with anything you wrote, I'm just not even capable of a few quick thoughts right now. It was fun, my throat hurts...that's about as far as I can get.

Each week... each year... I always tell myself I am not going to kill myself and my voice "this year". Yet, there we were, competing against the SB Champs with Seabiscuit running the show! I lost it. I didn't sit the entire game. Yup... my head is pounding and my voice left me somewhere in the 3rd quarter...
The Cards are a friggin drug.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I wasn't even going to put on my war paint today. But I knew it might look like I had lost passion or faith in our team, and that was not true. I was just tired and it takes a lot of work...I put on my game face and when the time came I gave my all, it's what we do...and...WE DO IT TOGETHER!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I saw you just before the end of the game. You and a couple friends were in the concourse just above Section 137/corner above the end zone where all the action was happening at the time.

:thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Each week... each year... I always tell myself I am not going to kill myself and my voice "this year". Yet, there we were, competing against the SB Champs with Seabiscuit running the show! I lost it. I didn't sit the entire game. Yup... my head is pounding and my voice left me somewhere in the 3rd quarter...
The Cards are a friggin drug.

So how did our big boys do on defense? Were the Cards better when Watson or Williams were in rather than Robinson? I think one reason the Cards defense is better in the red zone is that they go larger in that situation with Branch,Watson etc in addition to CC and DD. Did you see anything pro or con on that?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It was a rockin game on TV, I was fortunate enough to get the feed here in KC, rare moment but was an awesome game to get lucky on, loved seeing Max Hall start and the D play great.

The crowd was jazzed up, good job!

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So how did our big boys do on defense? Were the Cards better when Watson or Williams were in rather than Robinson? I think one reason the Cards defense is better in the red zone is that they go larger in that situation with Branch,Watson etc in addition to CC and DD. Did you see anything pro or con on that?

Secondary played well today. Our front 7? They suck... Honestly - I saw no marked difference no matter who was in there. I will say that both Branch and Dockett played better than they had at any other point in the season. They both were very active. Otherwise, I am convinced that had Bush or Thomas been playing for the Saints, we would have given up 200 yards on the ground. CC is lost. B-Rob is useless. Haggans did have a nice sack today, otherwise, he's a hole. Same for Porter. Lenon is actually the only consistently decent one of the bunch. Washington flahsed a few times today which was nice to see. But he too is inconsistent (which is to be expected of course from a 2nd round rookie).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Secondary played well today. Our front 7? They suck... Honestly - I saw no marked difference no matter who was in there. I will say that both Branch and Dockett played better than they had at any other point in the season. They both were very active. Otherwise, I am convinced that had Bush or Thomas been playing for the Saints, we would have given up 200 yards on the ground. CC is lost. B-Rob is useless. Haggans did have a nice sack today, otherwise, he's a hole. Same for Porter. Lenon is actually the only consistently decent one of the bunch. Washington flahsed a few times today which was nice to see. But he too is inconsistent (which is to be expected of course from a 2nd round rookie).

Thanks. Were Watson and Williams getting pushed around or was it a problem with discipline which is what one of the radio announcers mentioned. That the Cards would have one guy up field, say CC, and one guy at the los, say Watson, leaving a huge gap to run through.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thanks. Were Watson and Williams getting pushed around or was it a problem with discipline which is what one of the radio announcers mentioned. That the Cards would have one guy up field, say CC, and one guy at the los, say Watson, leaving a huge gap to run through.

CC has a very bad habit of taking himself out of plays by running up field... I suppose that could be partially the scheme, however, all too often there is nobody left to fill the gap. One other thing I saw today, even with Dockett, is that our guys seem to have a very hard time getting off of blocks. It's like the opposing o-linemen have superglue all over their bodies...
And of course, our linebackers are pathetically incapable of stopping a run anywhere close to the line. Washington made a couple of those today, but that was it. For the most part, our linebackers are making tackles on runs 4-6 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CC has a very bad habit of taking himself out of plays by running up field... I suppose that could be partially the scheme, however, all too often there is nobody left to fill the gap. One other thing I saw today, even with Dockett, is that our guys seem to have a very hard time getting off of blocks. It's like the opposing o-linemen have superglue all over their bodies...
And of course, our linebackers are pathetically incapable of stopping a run anywhere close to the line. Washington made a couple of those today, but that was it. For the most part, our linebackers are making tackles on runs 4-6 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I've noticed that too. It's like they're either getting held or not making any attempt to get loose.

I think that the LB problem is a result of the scheme. People used to say Hayes and Dansby were sliders and weren't really any good at filling gaps.

But now they both are gone and our LBs are still doing the same thing. I look at other teams LBs and they attack the los while ours seldom do. It has to be the scheme.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've noticed that too. It's like they're either getting held or not making any attempt to get loose.

I think that the LB problem is a result of the scheme. People used to say Hayes and Dansby were sliders and weren't really any good at filling gaps.

But now they both are gone and our LBs are still doing the same thing. I look at other teams LBs and they attack the los while ours seldom do. It has to be the scheme.

I guess Duck. However, I admit I just don't buy into the "scheme" excuse... I mean, if you're Davis and you see your front 7 getting abused on virtually every play, whether it's not getting any pass rush whatsoever, or, allowing sub-par RB's to average 4 or more yards per carry, wouldn't you make a damn change?? Why wouldn't you figure out, now that it's week 5, a way to get your linebackers in a position to actually make a play at the los? Why would you keep doing the same thing week after week, hoping for different results but getting the same crap??

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess Duck. However, I admit I just don't buy into the "scheme" excuse... I mean, if you're Davis and you see your front 7 getting abused on virtually every play, whether it's not getting any pass rush whatsoever, or, allowing sub-par RB's to average 4 or more yards per carry, wouldn't you make a damn change?? Why wouldn't you figure out, now that it's week 5, a way to get your linebackers in a position to actually make a play at the los? Why would you keep doing the same thing week after week, hoping for different results but getting the same crap??

I don't know are they maybe running a read and react defense? But it has been going on for a couple of years now. I can't remember the last time one of our LBs blew up a play at the LOS or flew through a gap to make a stop in the backfield. Even though I'm sure it's happened that's how rare it is.

They sure need to figure out something because they aren't going to get this many turnovers every week.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Wife and I saw you just before the end of the game. You and a couple friends were in the concourse just above Section 137/corner above the end zone where all the action was happening at the time.

Yep, I was there. I found out the one friend never drinks and the other had been giving him beer. He needed to be taken care of so I had to tend to that. It's funny, he weighs 100 lbs more than me and I swear he drank less. Some people have a bad physical reaction and no tolerance for alchohol. I made sure he got home safely and won't repeat the mistake.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, I was there. I found out the one friend never drinks and the other had been giving him beer. He needed to be taken care of so I had to tend to that. It's funny, he weighs 100 lbs more than me and I swear he drank less. Some people have a bad physical reaction and no tolerance for alchohol. I made sure he got home safely and won't repeat the mistake.

Good look'n out bro.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I was there. I found out the one friend never drinks and the other had been giving him beer. He needed to be taken care of so I had to tend to that. It's funny, he weighs 100 lbs more than me and I swear he drank less. Some people have a bad physical reaction and no tolerance for alcohol. I made sure he got home safely and won't repeat the mistake.

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time one of our LBs blew up a play at the LOS or flew through a gap to make a stop in the backfield.
It happened today:
(11:23 of 1st quarter) 29-C.Ivory right tackle to ARZ 24 for -3 yards (58-D.Washington).:) And it was beautiful!

But I agree it doesn't happen often enough!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It happened today:
(11:23 of 1st quarter) 29-C.Ivory right tackle to ARZ 24 for -3 yards (58-D.Washington).:) And it was beautiful!

But I agree it doesn't happen often enough!

LOL I was just watching NFL rewind and saw that. Too funny.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Our defensive lineman have a terrible habit of turning their shoulders which allows offensive linemen to create seams in the running game. Branch was especially bad about this early in the game, and it happens regularly to C Campbell as well. Instead of keeping their shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage and forming a wall to slow down the runner, they turn their shoulders perpendicular to the line of scrimmage and open up cut back seams that backs can hit at almost full speed. This is why we give up some many cutback runs and our linebackers have trouble pursuing backs. Instead of being able to flow downhill to the ball carrier because their linemen are forming a wall, they have to navigate a picket fence and shoot gaps which allows them to get walled off because the linemen are turning their shoulders and losing leverage. Dockett has been improving at this, CC and Branch have not as far as I have seen.

B Rob is a joke at NT. He is seriously bad. Hopefully Dan Williams gets it figured out quickly because B Rob is a sled at NT. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't get in the way other players as he was getting dominated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave