Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
give me 350k a year for 5 years... and ill show you how to never work again!

This.

man I would love to be making 350k a year just to be a scrub pratice player I wouldn't be complaining :).

And this.

Regardless of how much or little money a person makes, a sure way to keep yourself out of financial trouble is to live below your means. Unfortunately, it seems like, in general, the more a person makes, the more he spends.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
All I'm saying is, if you got people who can live comfortably on 50,000 a year, I see zero reason why someone can't live on the league minimum yearly.

Put aside the extravagences and stop living above your means. It really isn't that unpractical.

Also, if you are making $350,000 a year and you prove to be anything worth keeping, that contract will get shredded and you'll get a raise following it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All I'm saying is, if you got people who can live comfortably on 50,000 a year, I see zero reason why someone can't live on the league minimum yearly.

Put aside the extravagences and stop living above your means. It really isn't that unpractical.

Also, if you are making $350,000 a year and you prove to be anything worth keeping, that contract will get shredded and you'll get a raise following it.

People also overlook the number of doors in all forms of business that are opened to guys just because they played in the NFL. Its just like the guy making $50k a year as a small town lawyer who gets elected to the State Legislature and retires from office 12 years later with a net worth in the millions. The players just have to be prepared to take advantage of the opportunities.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
This guy has got to be kidding. Does he really expect us to believe most NFL players aren't rolling in the dough? I feel so bad that half of 10 million goes to taxes and they are only left with 5 million. He needs a reality check.

In a recent Baltimore Sun article, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin said he believed people have a misconception about NFL players, that they're all millionaires.

"Yeah, I think so," he said. "The crazy part about the NFL is the disparity between pay. You have some guys making $350,000 and then you have some guys making $10 million a year. But the general public doesn't understand that just because I'm in the NFL, that doesn't mean that I'm making millions upon millions.

"Nothing is guaranteed, and they don't factor in taxes. If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans."

Boldin signed a four-year contract worth $28 million last spring following a seven-year career with the Arizona Cardinals, where he earned $21,248,610.

The problem with people who make a load of money is that they think everyone is interested in what the earn.

I have enough financial worries about my family to care about anyone elses staus to be quite honest.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Well, you could start with those two Cheez-its that Fitz has been wearing lately. :)

If you want to know something funny about Larry's new earrings is that special cut falls under
specialty cut
due to those stones allowing or giving off more fire due to that cut.Lots of ladies love it as its called the "PRINCESS" cut.

Not a common cut for the guys wearing earrings.I assure you they brought him a hefty price.You get a bigger look as the cut is more shallow than a round brilliant or portugese cut that has more facets or cuts to make more "BLING" action.

A guy wearing "PRINCESS" cuts is definately a new trend.hate to say anything bad about Larry.

To be honest I think its a wise move myself,but an expensive one.

Larry is known for NEVER carrying money on his person and others buying him things then he'll pop up and buy you a personalized royal purple SEGWAY with your favorite scripture carved into it and Gold plated with heavy duty tires as a gift.

So Larry is a very frugal yet high class when he goes after luxury items he goes First class.Sunday he hopes to double his receptions of last week to 4 or he said he may pull his hair out.Williams is #2 with Komar our#3 wide reciever.Must be dreaming right?

We can add our #1 draft pick to Doucet&Breaston as the 3 players not playing Sunday.So dissapointed John Lott isn't monitoring a short expensive NT more closely.If it was muscle weight,everything would be alright but its pure blubber he will need to work off the very hard way.

Some have eaten their way out of the league before."Fridge".Damn shame.

We only have to monitor 18-10 guys and their weight and this happens.Not good.Thats why he has been exhausted after 3 plays lately.Out of shape badly.Needs to be doing the mountain during bye week with Lott right behind him.Lott got a raise for a reason.

Hope Gabe Watson is fresh and plays like a wild man.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's easy to laugh at Boldin or other players, but there was an article this year in SI with some stats showing that among NFL players some 60+% end up broke within 10 years of leaving the NFL. The percentage was even higher for NBA players.

An NFL players' career is shorter than most professions. Many of them are fairly hobbled by the time they hit their 40's (and especially in their later years). Most of them are kids and have no clue how to invest money, and then when football's over what do they do? Most of them go broke, and the main reason in that SI article was bad investments or being taken in by sheisty financial dudes.

It's a burden. One we'd all like to have, but a burden nonetheless. And being hobbled later in life and trying to earn a regular living would be difficult after having lost everything.

And I should add, when players leave the NFL it isn't the same as switching jobs for most people. When you leave the NFL, you can't play anymore, anywhere. You don't get to do it again, or start over somewhere. You have to do something entirely different. Imagine what you're best at, take that away, and do something else to support your family.

Add all that together, and it's not what people think. Unless you're elite.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Most of them are kids and have no clue how to invest money,

Do the colleges have courses in dealing with these things for their players, sort of a football minor, or is that frowned on by the millionaires who run the NCAA?

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do the colleges have courses in dealing with these things for their players, sort of a football minor, or is that frowned on by the millionaires who run the NCAA?

I'm not sure on the colleges, but I know in the SI article they said they have a players financial board in the NFL that they could go to anytime and ask questions. They even hold seminars and stuff. The SI article was pretty sad, they had interviews with QB's and RB's and WR's I'd never imagine went broke. They were primetime players.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
The top line number for the NFL salary is all fun and games until the tax returns are done - then reality sinks in.

I'm not crying for the players but there's a lot shaved off for Fed and state taxes. I've been the bearer of news but so far they haven't killed the messenger.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the colleges, but I know in the SI article they said they have a players financial board in the NFL that they could go to anytime and ask questions. They even hold seminars and stuff. The SI article was pretty sad, they had interviews with QB's and RB's and WR's I'd never imagine went broke. They were primetime players.

That is sad. Really nuts to give millions of dollars to 22 year old kids. (And this includes the ones who invent video games or create social networking sites :D )

That's why I've said that the NFL players union should require that a percentage of all player salaries and bonuses be deferred until the players are at least 30. Like a Spendthrift Trust. It seems at first to be un American but Unions do make deals with employers all the time where a certain % of payroll is contributed to pension funds for the employees. Yes I know the NFL has a pension fund but this would be different and in addition to those contributions.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to know something funny about Larry's new earrings is that special cut falls under
specialty cut
due to those stones allowing or giving off more fire due to that cut.Lots of ladies love it as its called the "PRINCESS" cut.

Ladies don't like it because it's called "princess" cut; they like it because it's sparkly! :)

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Boldin isn't saying HE'S not making his, he's pointing out that there are guys that are killing themselves (literally) for $350K. Yes, that's a lot of money, but his point is that not everyone is set for life because they play in the NFL.

2. Someone in the NFL PR department should have memos going out multiple times a year to remind players not to talk about money. It looks bad, even though Boldin's point is a valid one, IMO.

1. No one forces them to play football. They willingly decided that their physical well being was worth $350K a year. If they have a problem with it they can go Ricky Williams on us and smoke pot in India for a year. Those players who do that obviously feel that it is worth the risks and as that is they case they should be held to their decisions.

2. Rather than talking about money, I think Boldin and other players should focus on getting the best lifelong health care for retired players. I think that's something every fan can respect and is far classier than the comments players have been making. In fact I think the players should agree to send a greater % of their paychecks to the leagues health care plan so that all these retired players can reap the benefits. It's an investment that will pay off for current players in the long run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson