OT-Boldin in the poorhouse

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This guy has got to be kidding. Does he really expect us to believe most NFL players aren't rolling in the dough? I feel so bad that half of 10 million goes to taxes and they are only left with 5 million. He needs a reality check.

In a recent Baltimore Sun article, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin said he believed people have a misconception about NFL players, that they're all millionaires.

"Yeah, I think so," he said. "The crazy part about the NFL is the disparity between pay. You have some guys making $350,000 and then you have some guys making $10 million a year. But the general public doesn't understand that just because I'm in the NFL, that doesn't mean that I'm making millions upon millions.

"Nothing is guaranteed, and they don't factor in taxes. If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans."

Boldin signed a four-year contract worth $28 million last spring following a seven-year career with the Arizona Cardinals, where he earned $21,248,610.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Smart players would take deferred payments. I know if my kid got a huge signing bonus I'd have him set it up where he had a couple million deferred into payments starting when he was 35.

I believe Magic Johnson had a deal like that. $250,000 a year for 25 years starting at age 35 or 40 I forget the exact details.

In fact the NFL and players union should make all players who get more than x dollars in signing bonus do that so people couldn't steal it from them as easily. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a family to feed.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Typical comment concerning money. No matter how little or how much you make there is never enough.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame him for complaining. No one should have to give half their money to the government. Once upon a time, it was even higher at 70%.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Without a financial advisor there is no way these guys can hold onto there money properly.

Bad investments have crushed more than half of NFL players.

You have to diversify and go defensive in the market but let just that total MAKE you money instead of putting it all in your mattress or bank as they gain the same amount at this time.

Don't go buy a resteraunt in this economy or 100 other stupid money blood sucking idea's.

All sports and top dollar personalities have got to get smarter.Like Charles Barkley with his gambling addiction is just tuurible.:)

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
This guy has got to be kidding. Does he really expect us to believe most NFL players aren't rolling in the dough? I feel so bad that half of 10 million goes to taxes and they are only left with 5 million. He needs a reality check.

In a recent Baltimore Sun article, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin said he believed people have a misconception about NFL players, that they're all millionaires.

"Yeah, I think so," he said. "The crazy part about the NFL is the disparity between pay. You have some guys making $350,000 and then you have some guys making $10 million a year. But the general public doesn't understand that just because I'm in the NFL, that doesn't mean that I'm making millions upon millions.

"Nothing is guaranteed, and they don't factor in taxes. If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. .

"Nothing is guaranteed, and they don't factor in taxes. If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans."

You make only $5 million per year after taxes?

Pardon me while I cry crocodile tears over this tragedy.

Seriously, you're getting paid more per year than a large majority of the population who spends 200 bucks a pop to fund your salary will make in an entire lifetime.

You have grown adults living in the streets, not by choice, you've got children living in shelters and having to wear hand me down clothes, and you've got people that are choosing to not to take life saving meds because they can't afford them.. Yet, we're supposed to feel sympathy because you make a mere MILLIONS per year?

I'm not one of these people who will hate on Quan because he's no longer here.. I'd be saying these exact things if it was Fitzgerald, Breaston, Wells, Brown or any member of the Cardinals.. Nothing frosts me more than these millionairres complaining about how "poor" they have it financially.

Let them go the Kurt Warner route, bag groceries at Albertsons for minimum wage, or go do hard manual labor in the brutal summer months for barely enough to make it worth doing, then talk. Until then, thank your blessings that you make as much as you do, budget plan properly and be quiet!

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
In reading this snippet, I don't think he was pointing at himself as not being a millionaire and not necessarily crying about it. I think he was referring to the fact that not all NFL players are making millions, so assuming that they are all millionaires is wrong.

That said, $350k is not small money. For most of these players, they couldn't get close to that salary doing anything else. Learn to save.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Discussing money is often in poor taste--he should be smarter than this. It's also patronizing: I'd wager most NFL fans are familiar with the idea that you don't take home every penny of your gross salary.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
All they see is the other Guy making more than them. Every buisness has the same kind of people that are never happy. But there are also a lot of players you never hear bitch. It just like the real world.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kurt Warner had Steve Breaston over yesterday as he asked him to come play catch and have dinner.Kurt has been feeling low as he is missing the game and will be doing our home saints game for Fox and maybe he's gonna get some inside stuff from Stevie for Next Sundays game.

It was a spur of the moment thing as Breaston retweeted the street Kurt lives on.I wonder if Kurt appreciated that? Kurt has a very nice indoor basketball gym totally proffesionally done with a pool table right off the floor on the carpeting and animals hides and a deerhead up high on the cathedral ceilings and yes a nice bar too.

So Stevie was catching passes from Warner instead of practice yesterday.

We all know Kurt left 11+ Million on the table this year and even the extra money the vikes threw at Favre could'nt have gotten him back this year.Kurt was up front with Graves when he signed his last two year deal so there was'nt money to pay back in a signing bonus.The contract was split as Kurt told them he would most likely retire.

Cards teammates never came and begged Kurt to play one last year or I think we would have kept Q his final year here for Kurt.

I saw Kidstallyn tweet Urban yesterday about starting a vote Warner off DWTS's so he could come back.Urban had one word answer "Pipedream".

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In reading this snippet, I don't think he was pointing at himself as not being a millionaire and not necessarily crying about it. I think he was referring to the fact that not all NFL players are making millions, so assuming that they are all millionaires is wrong.

That said, $350k is not small money. For most of these players, they couldn't get close to that salary doing anything else. Learn to save.

350k isnt small but if you can only play a few years and then are essentially disabled than it most likely will not be enough to live comfortable the rest of your life especially with inflation going crazy.

We have a local guy here who played locally in HS and went to the NFL as a fullback. He is not poor by any means but maybe made 1-1.5 mil (after taxes) over his career and now cant climb stairs or lift his arms above his shoulders.

Are these players that cant work after football even entitled to social security? I doubt it so this has to last his entire life. That will never happen.

EDIT: Again I know this instance isnt the most common but I would liek to see these guys taken care of AT THE EXPENSE of those making huge sums+ the owners/league. How about game fines helping these guys out?

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure the 2K diamond earrings are a neccesity.

The last thing ANY of these players should discuss in public is money. Let us not forget the free ride they received in college to prepare themselves AFTER the rare chance of making it in the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure the 20K diamond earrings are a neccesity.

The last thing ANY of these players should discuss in public is money. Let us not forget the free ride they received in college to prepare themselves AFTER the rare chance of making it in the NFL.

Fixed that for you.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
350k isnt small but if you can only play a few years and then are essentially disabled than it most likely will not be enough to live comfortable the rest of your life especially with inflation going crazy.

We have a local guy here who played locally in HS and went to the NFL as a fullback. He is not poor by any means but maybe made 1-1.5 mil (after taxes) over his career and now cant climb stairs or lift his arms above his shoulders.

Are these players that cant work after football even entitled to social security? I doubt it so this has to last his entire life. That will never happen.

EDIT: Again I know this instance isnt the most common but I would liek to see these guys taken care of AT THE EXPENSE of those making huge sums+ the owners/league. How about game fines helping these guys out?

I think that is on the NFL and the way they treat their former employees. The NFL has the resources to take better care of the people they make their money from. In the case of a disabled player, $350k would not be a lot, I agree.

My point is only that the option of entering the NFL is way more appealing than any entry-level job one would get right after college, and in many cases offers the ability to make more money in two to five years than they would make in a lifetime outside of football.

How they decide to spend their money is on them, and I hate the tax system, but its time for them to be adults.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is he complaining? Where does he say he is poor? :shrug:

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fixed that for you.

As a gemstone collector and owner of many Diamond Pieces.20 Thousand is so much more the cost.

A 2k diamond is practically junk or two small.I could explain the 4 C's to you and the fact just a simple one CT. Diamond with a VS1 in Clarity and "G" in color would cost you retail over 10,000.00 .These guys are buying 5 CT. earrings per ear.

Did'nt you see the Dolphin player who lost one earring while doing a walkthrough practice and he was'nt a bigtime player and the one earring was 22K+.

I could go on with fancy cuts and colors too.Clarity is what costs the most as you adjust that a fraction.Makes the diamond brighter or have more Firebringance in it.Less internal flaws to not block the refraction.Color is then next in major value jumps.

Color starts at "D" with diamonds as that is known as blue white. As "G" is called a white Weselton.H is the faint begining of yellow in a diamond.My wifes wedding ring is Flawless in Clarity which only someone stupid like me would buy.

I had to knowing all that I know about gemstones.It meant something to me knowing I bought the best.You could spend 250K on just a one CT. white diamond very easy with all the right factors.

I specialize in colored stones from all over the world if anyone has a question.I could also post those pictures.LOL

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't blame him for complaining. No one should have to give half their money to the government. Once upon a time, it was even higher at 70%.

Bah, that is for another forum.

Regardless, some people don't see eye to eye on that situation.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Boldin never led the extravagant lifestyle that some of the other players do/did.

Heck, when he sold his house in So. Chandler recently, he lost almost 50% of what he had paid for it. It was a modest home compared to Kurt Warner's house!

seesred

Reaction score
Players play a war zone type of game every sunday. They should get paid accordingly. The low end is higher than most people make in 5 years work. However, if you get paid for playing this war every sunday, shouldn't our soldiers who are putting up their lives everyday make as much? Players who complain that it's not a lot of money they make for their skill sets, should give half their money to our kids fighting so they can play!

Players and money, poor guys have so much to worry about. Poor Q, only made $21 million while with our cheap owners. Poor Q. I can only pray that he is finally compensated for his role in our country.

GBR

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I specialize in colored stones from all over the world if anyone has a question.I could also post those pictures.LOL

Well, you could start with those two Cheez-its that Fitz has been wearing lately. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is he complaining? Where does he say he is poor? :shrug:

He doesn't. It's all implied. Does he not think that most of the public that helps pay his salary do not know how taxes work? We all have taxes taken out of our check just like he does.

'If you get a $10 million contract, you might get a little bit more than half of that after taxes. I think that's a big misconception among fans'

Yeah, we know that. Anyone who just got their first paycheck at McDonalds could tell you that taxes are going to be taken out. It's insulting. Fans don't care if you pocket 5 million or 10 million, it's still MILLIONS.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players play a war zone type of game every sunday. They should get paid accordingly. The low end is higher than most people make in 5 years work. However, if you get paid for playing this war every sunday, shouldn't our soldiers who are putting up their lives everyday make as much? Players who complain that it's not a lot of money they make for their skill sets, should give half their money to our kids fighting so they can play!

Players and money, poor guys have so much to worry about. Poor Q, only made $21 million while with our cheap owners. Poor Q. I can only pray that he is finally compensated for his role in our country.

GBR

FAIL!