Punt returns

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Why can't LSH field punts? All we really need someone to just catch the damn ball and make some freakin' good decisions. Any returns will just then be gravy. Putting two inexperienced guys Komar and Roberts has already hurt us quite a bit. :bang:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
being that LSH didn't even do it in college, wanting to put him back there and using experience as a reason makes no sense. Go to youtube, Roberts can return punts, he will be fine and everyone will feel stupid for not wanting him back there before long, maybe even this week.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Why can't LSH field punts? All we really need someone to just catch the damn ball and make some freakin' good decisions. Any returns will just then be gravy. Putting two inexperienced guys Komar and Roberts has already hurt us quite a bit. :bang:

LSH stated he's not real comfortable with it. He stated that it's the hardest job in the game to do. My guess is it has a lot to do with the trajectory of the ball and 10 players bearing down on you with darkness and malice in their hearts! :)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
There is no doubt Roberts has sucked so far. But, I will get credit to him, he is trying to get better and work on it.

Hopefully the work put in, comes out on the field.

If we are going to have "growing pains" then at least we did it on a day where the other team equaled our special teams suck-a-tude.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
After the team got back from practice Yesterday at the ASU football bubble while the Chargers practiced in the rain outside,Coach Whiz had Roberts catching punts for a very good while longer once we got back outside.The dude is getting a ton of work before the game Sunay.Good for Ken.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
After the team got back from practice Yesterday at the ASU football bubble while the Chargers practiced in the rain outside,Coach Whiz had Roberts catching punts for a very good while longer once we got back outside.The dude is getting a ton of work before the game Sunay.Good for Ken.

Actually I read that Roberts went out on his own hook.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
LSH in his own words: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/09/30/the-hyphen-talks-punt-returns-sproles/

This is another example of the importance of the Coach. Our Coach is going with Roberts again. If Roberts fails to protect the ball, it will certainly look like an error in judgement. On the other hand, if Roberts gains confidence and has success, the payoff is large. It was this Coach who put a rookie named Steve Breaston out there in the same capacity. Steve has become so much more than a punt returner. The Coach makes decisions like this all the time. Many do not seem "right" to many fans. You cut "that" QB? You don't play that Nose Tackle? That #1 Draft Pick is not your starting RB? The list goes on and on. I believe that little things make huge differences. Maybe with different decisions we would be playing better and losing. I'll take the wins, I'm just a fan.

This Coach has taken us from 5-11, to 8-8, to 9-7, the Super Bowl, to 10-6 and is 2-1 so far this year. How he does it doesn't always make sense to me but I think he has a plan and a lot more insight and knowledge than I do about his team and players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1965

Actually, it hasn't hurt a bit. It should have, and might have, but it didn't. (unless you chalk up the Atlanta loss to punt returns)

We are 2-1, the Coach might be a genius.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
being that LSH didn't even do it in college, wanting to put him back there and using experience as a reason makes no sense. Go to youtube, Roberts can return punts, he will be fine and everyone will feel stupid for not wanting him back there before long, maybe even this week.

I pray to God that I will feel stupid after Sunday then. :p

I'm definitely not advocating for Hyphen to return punts, especially if he isn't comfortable with it. But Roberts hasn't looked good since camp. Now, not all the muffed punt plays rest totally on his shoulders, but he needs to improve nonetheless. And, it sounds like he is working on it, which is good.

It's early in the season and he's a rookie, so I'll try to be patient. Gotta say it's tough though since messing up these plays really put us at a disadvantage.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was this Coach who put a rookie named Steve Breaston out there in the same capacity. Steve has become so much more than a punt returner.

Breaston's yardage production fell off by almost 30% last year from 2008. His average per punt return had declined every year to the point where the Cards had to use a 3rd round pick to try to replace him. Boldin scored more TDs his rookie season than Breaston has in his first 3 years. And now Breaston's hurt.

:stick:

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It was this Coach who put a rookie named Steve Breaston out there in the same capacity. Steve has become so much more than a punt returner.
Except for the sure handedness, Steve Breaston has done absolutely nothing as a punt returner. He sucks as a punt returner. Our punt returns have sucked for years and are in fact getting worse with this year's jokes such as Max Komar and Andre Roberts.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It's early in the season and he's a rookie, so I'll try to be patient. Gotta say it's tough though since messing up these plays really put us at a disadvantage.
Andre Roberts has been terrible throughout voluntary camps, training camps, and preseason. There are several other rookies who usually show something that you build your hopes on in spite of their rookie mistakes. So far, there is nothing Andre has shown to have any positive hopes.

We will wait and see if the light bulb turns on and if the coaching staff has that patience with him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Breaston's yardage production fell off by almost 30% last year from 2008. His average per punt return had declined every year to the point where the Cards had to use a 3rd round pick to try to replace him. Boldin scored more TDs his rookie season than Breaston has in his first 3 years. And now Breaston's hurt.

Duck, you are in a rather miserable mood lately. The D sucks, Scud sucks, Bill Davis sucks, Whiz kinda stinks, Lott is a failure because of D Williams being out of shape, the Cards can't draft worth a lick and the list goes on.

It is hard to argue against some of this list but on some you have gone darksider on us (IMHO). The dark side has been calling to most of us this year. The force is strong with this team, they have already won 2 games they could/should have lost.

Breaston's yardage production fell off as the 3rd WR due to the offense being less productive last year, not directly because he is sucky. Andre was not just drafted as a PRer. The Cards drafted and signed several other players with return skills. Breaston and Early are in their final contract year and Boldin was traded. Obviously a WR needed to be added.

Boldin has scored more TD's then every other 3rd WR in the league in their
1st 3 years.

Yes Breaston is now hurt. He should be back in a couple of games and will probably be on the field as much as Q averaged during his 7 years with the Cards.

As several have posted this has been a crazy year. Hopefully things get closer to normal.

Now if you want a good example of a team in true trouble I give you the
4&9ers. At least 3 players have quit or demanded to be traded this year. We have a totally different attitude amongst our players. Some of the credit has to go to Whiz and his staff.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duck, you are in a rather miserable mood lately. The D sucks, Scud sucks, Bill Davis sucks, Whiz kinda stinks, Lott is a failure because of D Williams being out of shape, the Cards can't draft worth a lick and the list goes on.

Did you see what happened just minutes after I put up a poll and post talking about what a beneficial impact Dan Williams could have on the defense?

The PFT bit from Florio via Somers is posted saying that DWilliams will be inactive because the coaches feel he's overweight!!!!!

It took a little longer but it wasn't that long after I had a debate with K9 about how good Beanie is that Wells got hurt and missed the start of the season!!!!

The Duckjake jinx goes back a long way. At the start of the 1998 season I was positive the Cards had the best team they'd had in years. I told everybody that they were ready to surpass the Pokes. The Cards lost to Dallas 38-10! And then were hammered 33-14 by Seattle. I was so mad I took all my Cards gear and put it in a box out in a remote corner of the garage. Of course the Cards then win 9 of 14 and beat Dallas for their first advancing playoff win since 1947. :billthecat:

I'm not saying anything positive about any Cardinal player. At least until I see how many Mike's Cranberrys it takes to reverse the Duckjake jinx.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you see what happened just minutes after I put up a poll and post talking about what a beneficial impact Dan Williams could have on the defense?

The PFT bit from Florio via Somers is posted saying that DWilliams will be inactive because the coaches feel he's overweight!!!!!

It took a little longer but it wasn't that long after I had a debate with K9 about how good Beanie is that Wells got hurt and missed the start of the season!!!!

The Duckjake jinx goes back a long way. At the start of the 1998 season I was positive the Cards had the best team they'd had in years. I told everybody that they were ready to surpass the Pokes. The Cards lost to Dallas 38-10! And then were hammered 33-14 by Seattle. I was so mad I took all my Cards gear and put it in a box out in a remote corner of the garage. Of course the Cards then win 9 of 14 and beat Dallas for their first advancing playoff win since 1947. :billthecat:

I'm not saying anything positive about any Cardinal player. At least until I see how many Mike's Cranberrys it takes to reverse the Duckjake jinx.

Whatever works. :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pray to God that I will feel stupid after Sunday then. :p

I'm definitely not advocating for Hyphen to return punts, especially if he isn't comfortable with it. But Roberts hasn't looked good since camp. Now, not all the muffed punt plays rest totally on his shoulders, but he needs to improve nonetheless. And, it sounds like he is working on it, which is good.

I don't know what the official Cards blame was on those punt muffs beyond it's been mentioned several times Roberts lined up too deep. But I watched the local Raiders show yesterday on tv here and they said they actually noticed when Roberts lined up for the first punt he was way too deep and signalled to the coverage team to be alert. After that muff they told the whole coverage team to watch for it again and bingo he did it again later in the game. The first punt travelled 45 yards before hitting Ware, the 2nd one 55 yards before hitting DRC. They said on the show both punts would normally have been fielded by the punt returner but he was too deep.

So even the Raiders are saying Roberts lined up incorrectly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave