NFLPA hopes to have labor agreement by November

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much what the title said. This gives me hope though it really doesn't say a whole lot.
From AP
NFLPA head says he's hopeful of agreement
By MARY FOSTER
AP Sports Writer
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The head of the NFL Players Association says
the union would like to see a labor agreement with the league by
November.
NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith spoke before the NFL
season opener Thursday night between the Super Bowl champion New
Orleans Saints and the Minnesota Vikings.
Smith's comment seems optimistic, given that both sides have
spoken about a potential lockout next season. Smith said he only
spoke of a lockout in response to what "the league has been
preparing for since 2007."

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really hope so, the thought that this could be the last football season until 2012 is depressing. At least Hartford has a UFL team now if all else fails.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Saints & Vikes players raising their fingers in unity on the field tells me to get ready 2 play alot of golf come this time next year...and I bet Smith had nothing to do with that gesture either. :bang:

OP
OP
A

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The Saints & Vikes players raising their fingers in unity on the field tells me to get ready 2 play alot of golf come this time next year...and I bet Smith had nothing to do with that gesture either. :bang:

That was the most inappropriate time to do that. I have no issue with the gesture, just do it some other time than right after the national anthem.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with the players being united or the owners resisting the players demands.

I will not forgive a strike easily though, I still pay a ton less attention and money to both baseball and hockey for their transgressions since they did their little dance.

Football is no different and with this economy they risk losing a generation of fans, they'll survive but it's going to be a bigger hurt than they think I'm afraid.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This means less than nothing IMO. Of course they want an agreement done, everyone does. They just want it done at their terms, just like the owners. I'll believe there'll be an agreement when it is done.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is NO WAY any deal is struck this year...there may be a 1% shot at next year.

Bet 10/1 that there will be NO football at this time next year.

Owners wanting to give less money, rookie salary structure AND adding 2 additional games with the possibility of MORE oversea games.....

NO WAY!!! They are as close to one another as Plaxico is to being a free man.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No football means that I will not renew my season tickets. It is as simple as that. Hit both parties where it hurts them the most.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
No football means that I will not renew my season tickets. It is as simple as that. Hit both parties where it hurts them the most.

I agree, it's so tough to find a sympathetic party in either group.

Squabbling about how to split up billions of dollars dosen't go over well when people aren't working and money is tight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would anyone renew?

I mean like.....Ever. It would be very hard for me to spend money again for season tickets if this happens. Money is already very tight and for them to pull this, man oh man.

Reaction score
That was the most inappropriate time to do that. I have no issue with the gesture, just do it some other time than right after the national anthem.
At least they had the sense not to make their little statement during the national anthem!!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes sir, I couldn't get season tickets this year. I am getting married in May, and just bought a new A.C. unit this summer for the house. (with install that came close to 5 large)
If they can't come to an agreement, maybe I'll just go to the "good" games from now on.

Last edited:

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with the players being united or the owners resisting the players demands.

I will not forgive a strike easily though, I still pay a ton less attention and money to both baseball and hockey for their transgressions since they did their little dance.

Football is no different and with this economy they risk losing a generation of fans, they'll survive but it's going to be a bigger hurt than they think I'm afraid.

I completely gave up baseball and hockey after their strikes. As hard as it would be I will completely let go of pro football if they strike. If they can not agree on how to share all the billions of dollars, well, they will not get anymore of mine (mainly Sunday ticket).

Reaction score
Yes sir, I couldn't get season tickets this year. I am getting married in May, and just bought a new A.C. unit this summer for the house. (with install that came close to 5 large)
If they can't come to an agreement, maybe I'll just go to the "good" games from now on.
Did you get the credits/rebates from SRP (approx. $400) and the U.S. gov. ($1500)?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
This crap happens every time the CBA is negotiated and both side end up giving a little on different issues. Fingers raised or not, there will be football in 2011 IMO. I am more interested to see what concessions each side makes. There is too much money in a bad economy for EITHER side to be too greedy.