Turning the Page on #7: Backup QBs I'd Like

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
There's got to be an odd man out in Denver soon. Orton, Quinn and Tebow, somebody's going to want out.

Personally, I could see it being Quinn, who I'm not sure I'd go for. Orton or Tebow on the other hand...

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's got to be an odd man out in Denver soon. Orton, Quinn and Tebow, somebody's going to want out.

Personally, I could see it being Quinn, who I'm not sure I'd go for. Orton or Tebow on the other hand...

I am sure he'd love backing up DA again.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am sure he'd love backing up DA again.

Backing up?

He beat him out for the job last year...

Wouldn't that be something.

The two QBs from one of the most abysmal offences in the league, as the replacement(s) to future HOF, Kurt Warner. Good job - Cards!

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Orton just got a contract extension. Brady Quinn may get a couple of starts this season, or he'll be inactive for 16 games because they'll want to run specialty packages with Tebow.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of hope for Anderson either, but I'm willing to wait it out and hope for the best. If Anderson sucks, then what benefit would Leftwich give us if he's practically a black Derek Anderson with more leadership but a slower release?

Basically, as much as I don't trust Anderson, I wouldn't trust any of the other guys mentioned even more, and would rather just get our rookies some playing time.

I guess it depends on what kind of offense we roll out with when it matters. You can plug in a serviceable backup and still do well with a team like the Titans where you simply need to manage the game, but I think the reason we're going with Anderson is because we expect to make things happen through the air.

We can throw out names like Rosenfels, Troy Smith, Thigpen, and Dennis Dixon, but despite being 'veterans', they still don't have a ton of play time in the NFL. I would favor both Hall and Skelton over any of those guys simply because they've had a full off-season to work with our players and our playbook.

Because if Anderson gets hurt, your season is over. That's what you said in the post I quoted.

If we expect to make things happen through the air, Anderson's not a good guy to run with. A bit of a streaky passer, but you don't want him throwing the ball 30+ times a game. I think that coach thinks that he'll be effective in a play-action offense where he can go down the field with some options.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Anderson is a guy you can expect to pick apart a defense. He's not that guy. Never has been.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Because if Anderson gets hurt, your season is over. That's what you said in the post I quoted.

If we expect to make things happen through the air, Anderson's not a good guy to run with. A bit of a streaky passer, but you don't want him throwing the ball 30+ times a game. I think that coach thinks that he'll be effective in a play-action offense where he can go down the field with some options.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Anderson is a guy you can expect to pick apart a defense. He's not that guy. Never has been.

Yeah, I did say if Anderson goes down, but I feel like Anderson is more likely to suck and get pulled than go down to injury. I hope neither ends up happening and we end up 3x NFC West Champs.

I'm on board with Anderson not being the guy that picks apart defenses; I guess that's why this move is confusing. I see Leinart as a better option for protecting the ball if the QB's primary job this year is game management.

Either way, if Hall or Skelton are not our QBotF, then we should bring someone else in to backup Anderson. If we think one of them is the QBotF, then if Anderson goes down or is flat out bad, then let's get one of the rookies some playing time. They may not be the real deal, but at least we could find out all in one season rather than having them be a backup for 4 years only to get cut or traded before the 4th preseason game just after losing what was supposed to be their starting job.

But I'm not bitter. :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I've always thought Whiz would like Rosenfels. He's like a homeless man's Warner w/ his ability and anxiousness to air it out.

I really like any of those options but, at this point, I dont think Whiz wants to cut Skelton, Hall or keep 4 QBs.

This

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
What the Hell.Why not go with the kids as backups anyway? With a overpaid defense who can`t make crucial stops and a inconsistent O_Line play and a QB who will throw interceptions like rain......................why worry about a veteran backup?:bang:

Absolutely love this statement Funny as hell and so true at the same time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave