Coaches are admitting failure

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My one question for Whiz would be this. " Why the hell did it take you over 3 years to come to this conclusion?"

Maybe because he didn't buy the Cardinals, he merely took over the Head Coaching position. Leinart was a very high profile draft pick and teams tend to want them to succeed. We're too far removed to know for sure what went on regarding Matt but the track record of this organization suggests the coach might have been stuck with this guy regardless.

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because he didn't buy the Cardinals, he merely took over the Head Coaching position. Leinart was a very high profile draft pick and teams tend to want them to succeed. We're too far removed to know for sure what went on regarding Matt but the track record of this organization suggests the coach might have been stuck with this guy regardless.

Steve
I doubt he was stuck naming Leinart the starter in the off-season......

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Perhaps you are correct to a degree. However, it appears this front office values Whiz's thoughts, evaluations, and ability. If Whiz went to the front office and claimed Leinart, in his opinion, is lacking 2 years ago then I would think we would have made a move in the draft ( like trading up to get Skelton) back then rather than waiting to do it this year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are correct to a degree. However, it appears this front office values Whiz's thoughts, evaluations, and ability. If Whiz went to the front office and claimed Leinart, in his opinion, is lacking 2 years ago then I would think we would have made a move in the draft ( like trading up to get Skelton) back then rather than waiting to do it this year.

Consider though that we were expecting to get another season out of Warner and that meant we were only relying on Matt as a backup. Once that plan fell through they grabbed their QB of the future (Skelton) and looked for a capable backup to push Matt for one season. I don't think anyone in management or coaching intended going past this season with Leinart. However, once it became apparent that an undrafted rookie could give us almost as much as Leinart, Matt became superfluous (admittedly, this is pure conjecture).

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with a coach admitting failure. Much better than, for example, trotting out Rex Grossman over and over and maintaining "Rex is our QB."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with a coach admitting failure. Much better than, for example, trotting out Rex Grossman over and over and maintaining "Rex is our QB."

:notworthy:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Mulli said:

Or rolling out Levi Brown the past 3 years calling him our LT.:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Message board arm chair QB's.

Oh Wait.

Message board arm chair QBs don't fail all the time. In fact many of them are right more than they are wrong. Besides MBAQB is not a job it is a hobby so it doesn't qualify.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Wow good example of munipulating stats through math. First of all what does attempts have to do with fumbles, he cant fumble during run plays as well? 11 or more fumbles since Wiz has been here, period, end of story. In a per game situation sure he got better from 2007 to 2008 but then again he got worse from 2008 to 2009 so was it every actually fixed or just a anomoly?

But if you want to play the attempts game here we go

2007 - 451 attempts - 29 int's/fumbles = dropping the ball every 15.55 attempts
2008 - 598 attempts - 25 int's/fumbles = dropping the ball every 23.92 attempts
2009 - 513 attempts - 25 int's/fumbles = dropping the ball every 20.52 attempts

So he gets better then gets worse again. I can play with stats as well to make my point so it all comes down to one thing, Warners Fumbling issues were lengendary until the day he retired for a reason and it wasnt just to pick on the guy it was because that is what every DC in the league tried to capitalize on because they knew it was a weakness and every analyst knew was a problem his whole career, it never got better. I wont even go into comparing the Green years to the Wiz years considering Warner was still having issue's with hand strength from his NYG days so his slight 1% better as you put it could just as easily be from something other then QB coaching things such as better OL play compared to Green, gloves, not playing from behind as much taing fewer risks, and so on.

Double digit fumbles a year is crap no matter how you slice it or want to play with percentages and it was never fixed by Warner or the coaches, end of story.

Not sure how I manipulated stats, but we can exclude fumbles and you would see the correlation or add rushing attempts to pass atempts, but the numbers will tell the same story. Warner improved under the currnt coaching staff. I never said he was a skilled ball handler. I simply showed how he statistically improved under this staff. And yes, 2008 was an anomoly compared to the trend you see in those 6 years. Why do you think the offense performed at record levels? This was a large factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA