Whisenhunt says it isn't personal

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...-Answers/c625aaeb-6137-44ec-91bb-c4c8fe88b190

The coach also said he doesn’t understand the notion put out there that he doesn’t like Leinart personally, and said he appreciates all the work Leinart has put in during their years together.

“I think we have been consistent, always trying to pick the best team and pick the best players to try and win,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s what this process is about, not whether you like somebody or don’t like somebody. It’s more about what you feel is right for the team. I have great affection for Matt and the way he has worked and what he has gone through, so I want to dispel that right away.”​

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Does this ____ make my butt look fat? Nope, absolutely not, very slimming.

I don't care what he says on this issue, I highly doubt that it is "personal" but it is specific to Matt and his game, which to a player might as well be personal.

It's just semantics, what he should be explaining isn't something vauge like is it personal or not, more like what he should explain what's changed so drastically because frankly it's not obvious watching the players play as to what's changed to cause all this furor.

Last edited:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Look, the coach all offseason said the same things. Matts time to run this team. Matt has worked hard and it is his team to Qb. Matt has waited his turn and that turn is now. Then after 3 weeks of training camp and 13 Preseason passes he turns on him for no apparent reason to fans and gives his job to a suspect DA. Matt comes out and has an impressive showing on Sunday and it is more about intangebles and chemistry and not how you play. BS. This reaks and the smell is coming from the front office and Whis's office. People want to give this coach the in WHis we trust BS. Haley and our star players made this offense go once Whis gave up screwing up the play calling. Warner constantly changed the play last year. Warner beat Matt out plain and simple. Matt has been our best Qb in camp and should be starting but the HC thinks there should be more intangibles and chemistry. Once the season starts the chemistry begins. Preseason is to work on things timing, route running, positioning. They did that and now Whis thinks there should be something more. He is an idiot on this one.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you $12.86 million reasons this is happening.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, the coach all offseason said the same things. Matts time to run this team. Matt has worked hard and it is his team to Qb. Matt has waited his turn and that turn is now. Then after 3 weeks of training camp and 13 Preseason passes he turns on him for no apparent reason to fans and gives his job to a suspect DA. Matt comes out and has an impressive showing on Sunday and it is more about intangebles and chemistry and not how you play. BS. This reaks and the smell is coming from the front office and Whis's office. People want to give this coach the in WHis we trust BS. Haley and our star players made this offense go once Whis gave up screwing up the play calling. Warner constantly changed the play last year. Warner beat Matt out plain and simple. Matt has been our best Qb in camp and should be starting but the HC thinks there should be more intangibles and chemistry. Once the season starts the chemistry begins. Preseason is to work on things timing, route running, positioning. They did that and now Whis thinks there should be something more. He is an idiot on this one.

Well, I assume you meant Saturday but if so, we've certainly lowered the standards for "impressive showing". I've watched the game twice now and I'd say it's clearly Matt's best showing this preseason and on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it about a 5. It's impressive only from the standpoint that he was at a 1 the week before. I'm glad he was able to show improvement but that was a very weak Chicago defense (because of injuries) and they still outplayed our offense.

Steve

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the starters will be named for Thurs game?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'll give you $12.86 million reasons this is happening.

Derek Anderson's contract has more than $11 million in incentives based on starts. The money is not an issue: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003121
The Arizona Cardinals and former Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson have agreed to a two-year contract worth $7.25 million, a source told ESPN.com Wednesday.

The source said the deal includes $3.25 million guaranteed, and with incentives would max out at $18.25 million.

Interesting side note: you think that David Carr is pissed about the choice he made going to San Francisco? This QB battle would be a lot more interesting if Carr was in Anderson's shoes, even for me.

Rats

Reaction score
I disagree, you cant do much better as a Qb than 135 Qb rating. He didn't fumble the ball inside the 10. He made good playaction, good command decisions and looked like he was having fun. It was a success. I do not think we lowered any standards. He didn't get alot of snaps so he did well with what he was givin. He deserves to be told why he has been sent to the bench after being told he was the guy all offseason and up until last week. Were those Lies? Did other players say they didn't want him as there leader, did the front office say lets cut ties with the looming lock out and the money he would get later. I fail see that Whis saw something there that made everything change. Matt is right to say something is going on and he should be givin an honest answer. I am sorry I just do not trust this HC. He has done this to vets in the past and it was weak then and weak now.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he turns on him for no apparent reason to fans and gives his job to a suspect DA.

No apparent reason to "you" not "fans". FYI.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Derek Anderson's contract has more than $11 million in incentives based on starts. The money is not an issue: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5003121

Interesting side note: you think that David Carr is pissed about the choice he made going to San Francisco? This QB battle would be a lot more interesting if Carr was in Anderson's shoes, even for me.

It is when you think "I need two years to develop my young QBs." Matty's salary balloons to 14.8 mil next year and Anderson's stays relatively flat. Not this year, but my guess is next year is a factor.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is when you think "I need two years to develop my young QBs." Matty's salary balloons to 14.8 mil next year and Anderson's stays relatively flat. Not this year, but my guess is next year is a factor.

Considering no football is set to be played next year I would say that would be less of a factor. JMO.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I disagree, you cant do much better as a Qb than 135 Qb rating. He didn't fumble the ball inside the 10. He made good playaction, good command decisions and looked like he was having fun. It was a success. I do not think we lowered any standards. He didn't get alot of snaps so he did well with what he was givin. He deserves to be told why he has been sent to the bench after being told he was the guy all offseason and up until last week. Were those Lies? Did other players say they didn't want him as there leader, did the front office say lets cut ties with the looming lock out and the money he would get later. I fail see that Whis saw something there that made everything change. Matt is right to say something is going on and he should be givin an honest answer. I am sorry I just do not trust this HC. He has done this to vets in the past and it was weak then and weak now.

I have this hunch he has gotten his answer, but he either refuses to believe it or isn't understanding what the coaches are telling him. When in the past has Whiz done this to vets? And I guess it would help to know what "This" is?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Shane give it a break man. You claim your wanted Leinart to be the guy this year. Ok, I'll give you that. But just because someone doesn't yet understand why or how Wiz is coming to this decision doesn't give you the right to attack people on our board with comments like the one you just stated. You been doing it off & on the last few days & it really makes you look like, "see I told you so" with your dislike for Leinart. You spewed venom about doubts of him for years but say contradicting statements alot here lately. You seem to know your football, but I really don't feel you should be stiring up the pot with our boardmates. The QB situation is a touchy subject with most cards fans now & I've come to grips with DA is our QB. Lighten up on our guys & lets talk football, you know I respect your opinions & thoughts.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Considering no football is set to be played next year I would say that would be less of a factor. JMO.

Yet most teams are paying signing bonuses as if it is going to be played. In the 11th hour I think it will, and most teams are operating under the assumption it will happen.

Rats

Reaction score

So step up and elighten with what the 'real apparent reason is" don't just take a shot and scurry off. You really have no better understanding of it than us other "fans". It is apparent that Whis says one thing and does another with some of the vets. This was handled poorly no matter how it is sliced. Just step up and say Matt you have had your shot and we feel you are not the guy for us. Don't lie to him all offseason and pull this weak crap.

Rats

Reaction score
I have this hunch he has gotten his answer, but he either refuses to believe it or isn't understanding what the coaches are telling him. When in the past has Whiz done this to vets? And I guess it would help to know what "This" is?

When I say "This" I am refering to the way he handled Vets like Edge, Boldin, Rothlisberger, and even Kurt early on with his Yo Yoing them in and out of the lineup. I do not think in anyway Matt was givin an explanation and Whis even said that he door is open to give Matt an explanation at anytime but Matt basically has to humble himself to the Whis. Whis thinks he has earned it to do what he wants with this football team. I guess we will see how that works out. IMO his handleing of the issue has been bush league at best.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So step up and elighten with what the 'real apparent reason is" don't just take a shot and scurry off. You really have no better understanding of it than us other "fans". It is apparent that Whis says one thing and does another with some of the vets. This was handled poorly no matter how it is sliced. Just step up and say Matt you have had your shot and we feel you are not the guy for us. Don't lie to him all offseason and pull this weak crap.

Come on Rats. Its the intangibles...:bang:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
When I say "This" I am refering to the way he handled Vets like Edge, Boldin, Rothlisberger, and even Kurt early on with his Yo Yoing them in and out of the lineup. I do not think in anyway Matt was givin an explanation and Whis even said that he door is open to give Matt an explanation at anytime but Matt basically has to humble himself to the Whis. Whis thinks he has earned it to do what he wants with this football team. I guess we will see how that works out. IMO his handleing of the issue has been bush league at best.

Wow, he held all of those players accountable to their performance or contracts. The nerve!!! I am tired of years of the biggest contract plays mentality and applaud his expectations and accountability. I have an explanation for Matt just from watching the games. I think the issue is he doesn't see his own faults. It isn't a power play, Whiz has the power and is the coach. He expects performance or you don't play. Whiz doesn't think he deserves it, he needs his players to deserve it. No problem here with the handling. Again, Sando pointed out that Leinarts not "Knowing what coaches want" may speak to the fact that he either isn't listening or doesn't agree with what the coaches are saying. This may be a sign of the deeper problem, not the problem itself. Hell, I have seen 3 press conferences and I know what the coach wants.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Roethlisberger would have a few things to say about Whis not doing things for "personal" reasons.

Rats

Reaction score
Wow, he held all of those players accountable to their performance or contracts. The nerve!!! I am tired of years of the biggest contract plays mentality and applaud his expectations and accountability. I have an explanation for Matt just from watching the games. I think the issue is he doesn't see his own faults. It isn't a power play, Whiz has the power and is the coach. He expects performance or you don't play. Whiz doesn't think he deserves it, he needs his players to deserve it. No problem here with the handling. Again, Sando pointed out that Leinarts not "Knowing what coaches want" may speak to the fact that he either isn't listening or doesn't agree with what the coaches are saying. This may be a sign of the deeper problem, not the problem itself. Hell, I have seen 3 press conferences and I know what the coach wants.

Yeah and when Whis needed Edge to bail his stupid ass out he saw what kind of player he was disrespecting. He delivered even though Whis had only used him as a last resort. Roth even said last week he knows what Matt is going thru with this mindfreak coach. I am sorry I will not sit here and say "In Whis I trust" when he disrespects Q. Q said he was a grown ass man and wasn't going to be treated like a insignificant piece of a puzzle. He deserved respect and when he wasn't going to get it from Whis he became a malcontent, not before. He did not Deserve that and Matt doesn't deserve this now either.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Yeah and when Whis needed Edge to bail his stupid ass out he saw what kind of player he was disrespecting. He delivered even though Whis had only used him as a last resort. Roth even said last week he knows what Matt is going thru with this mindfreak coach. I am sorry I will not sit here and say "In Whis I trust" when he disrespects Q. Q said he was a grown ass man and wasn't going to be treated like a insignificant piece of a puzzle. He deserved respect and when he wasn't going to get it from Whis he became a malcontent, not before. He did not Deserve that and Matt doesn't deserve this now either.

That is an ummm.....interesting take on several events. I trust Whis and could care less about the injustices you have chosen to use. I can see most of them from another side I agree with. I want to win and feel like this staff does everything it can to do just that. I have never seen to the contrary. This is just in line with the same story before. Like it or feel respected by it, but the object is winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA