Matt Leinart has had a great pre-season and should be the starting QB!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Did he even have a first down before last game?

Best example of how stats lie if you really think Leinart had a great preseason. The only good thing about his preseason is his completion rate although he didn't make a lot of throws to be honest..

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards don't have to pay money to make Matt go away, they would save money.

It looks like Whiz gave Matt a certain number of possessions in preseason (rather than snaps). He could not lead the team to first downs and so did not get many snaps.

I'm just not all that fired up about D Anderson.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he even have a first down before last game?

Best example of how stats lie if you really think Leinart had a great preseason. The only good thing about his preseason is his completion rate although he didn't make a lot of throws to be honest..

Its not about first downs and scoring points. Its about 5 yard passes to make your numbers look good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not about first downs and scoring points. Its about 5 yard passes to make your numbers look good.

That's correct. It's all about QB rating and completion percentage and yards per attempt. It doesn't matter if you actually move the chains or god forbid, cross the goal line. If you have a 130 QB rating you are a winner, who cares if your team wins.

Steve

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yea when you throw to option 6 who is 2 yards down field but has 6 tacklers waiting to gang up...stats are not everything....He has 1 TD in the Preseason....Leinart will never be more than a 6 yard passer...Remember Denny Green in the infamous Monday night Melt down...He wouldn't trust Leinart to throw a 5 yard pass from Qt 1 to the last 2 minutes of the game. Bear defenders were asking "What are they doing Edge?" every time we ran a dive play up the middle for 35 straight minutes. We got 7 turnovers in that game and couldn't win...To me that was Leinart in a nutshell.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
Yea when you throw to option 6 who is 2 yards down field but has 6 tacklers waiting to gang up...stats are not everything....He has 1 TD in the Preseason....Leinart will never be more than a 6 yard passer...Remember Denny Green in the infamous Monday night Melt down...He wouldn't trust Leinart to throw a 5 yard pass from Qt 1 to the last 2 minutes of the game. Bear defenders were asking "What are they doing Edge?" every time we ran a dive play up the middle for 35 straight minutes. We got 7 turnovers in that game and couldn't win...To me that was Leinart in a nutshell.

Actually, that was stupid coaching that decided to sit on a 20 point lead instead of keeping the pedal to the metal. When the bears came back, they opened up the offense again and Leinart led us to field goal range. Rackers misses, we lose. Not Leinart's fault (though the fumble-TD might have been, not sure).

By the way, in that last game, every pass that Leinart threw was 7, 8 or 9 yards except for two (one was 5 yards and the other was an incompletion).

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
That's correct. It's all about QB rating and completion percentage and yards per attempt. It doesn't matter if you actually move the chains or god forbid, cross the goal line. If you have a 130 QB rating you are a winner, who cares if your team wins.
Steve

Its about protecting the ball, taking what the defense gives, and being smart. Since when is that a crime- LOL. Can we at least see Matt with 2 of the top 3 WRs healthy for a whole game before judgement! D.Anderson is a erratic journeyman who will dominate one week and be horrendous the next. Just go to the Browns boards.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Its about protecting the ball, taking what the defense gives, and being smart. Since when is that a crime- LOL. Can we at least see Matt with 2 of the top 3 WRs healthy for a whole game before judgement! D.Anderson is a erratic journeyman who will dominate one week and be horrendous the next. Just go to the Browns boards.

But the coaches HAVE seen him for both 4 years, and every day this preseason. You as a fan haven't, but coaches have, and that element can't be dismissed either. Again, who here wanted to see Warner start 2 years ago? Few of us? Who felt, looking back, it was the right move? All of us? Then I trust their opinion over mine in 3 crappy preseason games.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
I remember walking out of the Stadium after Warner blew the game against the Rams, wondering why we picked him up.
I am on Matt's side and I hope he makes it.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys still realize who your owners are right? There's NO WAY they are paying for that 7 million bonus that Leinart would be receiving. Anderson is the right choice here from the coaches' and FO's standpoint--he has a bigger arm, he's more confident, no off the field issues, he has the locker room, and he's ALOT CHEAPER.

As Niner a fan, I'd be more worried if Anderson was the starter instead of Leinart.

For the past two years, the Cards have paid out more in total players' salaries than the 49ers. Guess the 49ers owners are even cheaper than the Cardinals owners.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamresults.aspx?team=1

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I am starting to think Matt is checking down so much so that he pads his stats. I bet he thought if his stat line was good (and it is), then he couldn't lose the job.

Unfortuantely for him, Whiz is on to his game. Maybe he sees Matt checking-down too early, taking the easy out instead of pushing the ball down field. Maybe Matt isn't aware that his receivers line up wrong. Maybe Matt doesn't act like his mishaps are bothersome. Maybe he acts like he could care less if he lost the job (until today at least).

Whatever the reason, Whiz says stats won't be the only (or main) factor in determining the starter. Stats can be manipulated. Whiz wants to see the things that can't be faked.

Yup.

There has been one virtue because of this QB dilemma. Its easy to see what posters can take all the information at their diposal and come up with strong cohernet arguments....for each side.

Color me impressed ASFN:thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Last preseason the Cards were outscored in the first half of the four games by a combined 71-16. :shock:

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
It's his non-agressivness that's not going to make him the starter. Matt longest completion was 18 yards. Matt needs to be more agressive. I'm not sayin he should just go out and throw picks. But at least take a shot down field.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, that was stupid coaching that decided to sit on a 20 point lead instead of keeping the pedal to the metal. When the bears came back, they opened up the offense again and Leinart led us to field goal range. Rackers misses, we lose. Not Leinart's fault (though the fumble-TD might have been, not sure).

By the way, in that last game, every pass that Leinart threw was 7, 8 or 9 yards except for two (one was 5 yards and the other was an incompletion).

Edge averaged 1.5 yards per carry and lost a fumble that was returned for a TD. The Bears defenders weren't saying "what are they doing Edge" they were saying "thanks Edge."

But hey when you had Chris Liwienski and Oliver Ross and Nick Leckey on your offensive line what do you expect?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
But hey when you had Chris Liwienski and Oliver Ross and Nick Leckey on your offensive line what do you expect?

I will never forget that ole block(excuse me, no block) that Ross did down on the 20yd line that totally turned the game around on a sack, fumble, TD. OMG

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should be but we shall see what happens I will have to refrain from apparently stating anything to strongly otherwise I will be banned again...geesh.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So I was sitting at home last night and I told my wife that there is a rumor that Matt may not even make the team. Keep in mind that she doesn't follow football like us, she does not read ASFN or listen to sports radio. All she does is watch the games with me. Her response was this...

"Yeah, well if he would throw the ball more than five yards down the field, maybe he wouldn't have lost his job in the first place."

I am a lucky man.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preseason stats are totally worthless. Look at the Colts. :p

That's how Warner got his start was in the preseason.

Ironically he hasn't had a good preseason in years..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's how Warner got his start was in the preseason.

Ironically he hasn't had a good preseason in years..

If you are talking about 2008 I still don't buy that. How could any coach dismiss the last 8 games of 2007, 2,362 yards and 21 TDs and 5-3 record?

I still say Leinart would have had to have a spectacular preseason to win back the starters job.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about 2008 I still don't buy that. How could any coach dismiss the last 8 games of 2007, 2,362 yards and 21 TDs and 5-3 record?

I still say Leinart would have had to have a spectacular preseason to win back the starters job.

I'm talking about the Rams when Warner got his start in the NFL.

Sounds like you're talking about regular season games. I'm talking about preseason.