Where is Matty??????

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
After watching the first three possessions of our offense tonight, I found myself asking this question. WHere's Matty???

I remember the fiery, competitive youngster who came onto the field under Denney Green, and willed his offensive unit to pile up yards and scores. I was hoping to see the same guy tonight, but he was no where to be seen.

Often it is said, that the light was on, but nobody was home. THat was definitely not the case tonight. When #7 first walked onto the field to take charge of his first huddle in tonights game, I looked under the helmet of #7, and there not only wasn't anyone there, but there was not even a light on. Something is missing here, and it is not the uniform, because I know that I saw #7 out there in our backfield and in the huddle. There was just nobody in the uniform.

When I was able to make out the face under the helmet, it was void of expression. The eyes were vacant. There truly was no one there,---at least not anyone that I recognized. This soulless performance was immediately passed on to the offensive unit. Our first unit is right now, totally without a leader. There is no commanding officer barking orders, and no one is carrying them out. What I saw was but a pitiful shell of what was once a promising, young, bright, competitive, NFL quarterback. Now I see only an empty shell wearing the number 7. There is no heart-----There is no soul.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
After watching the first three possessions of our offense tonight, I found myself asking this question. WHere's Matty???

I remember the fiery, competitive youngster who came onto the field under Denney Green, and willed his offensive unit to pile up yards and scores. I was hoping to see the same guy tonight, but he was no where to be seen.

Often it is said, that the light was on, but nobody was home. THat was definitely not the case tonight. When #7 first walked onto the field to take charge of his first huddle in tonights game, I looked under the helmet of #7, and there not only wasn't anyone there, but there was not even a light on. Something is missing here, and it is not the uniform, because I know that I saw #7 out there in our backfield and in the huddle. There was just nobody in the uniform.

When I was able to make out the face under the helmet, it was void of expression. The eyes were vacant. There truly was no one there,---at least not anyone that I recognized. This soulless performance was immediately passed on to the offensive unit. Our first unit is right now, totally without a leader. There is no commanding officer barking orders, and no one is carrying them out. What I saw was but a pitiful shell of what was once a promising, young, bright, competitive, NFL quarterback. Now I see only an empty shell wearing the number 7. There is no heart-----There is no soul.

Are you freaking JOKING? We're giving blitzers free runs at the QB, Leinart had about .8 seconds to make a throw, and the line makes a sieve look impassible...but Leinart's EXPRESSION has you worried? That's a laugh.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get this at all. We have a supposed #1 QB that needs reps and he keeps pulling him after two series and the #2 gets a full half. What the hell is Whiz thinking?

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You want to know where Matty is? How about where's the protection? Where's the running game? Where's the wide receivers?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh how I miss the days of Coach Rah Rah when we won all our preseason games

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
What I am saying is that there is NO cohesiveness, no competitiveness, no life to this entire team. If the coach is looking for Leinart to light that spark, then he so far has failed. Maybe the staff has taken things too far with deciding who is the best player at each position, and naming them number one.

I don't see how playing Lutui on the second unit is helping to get the first O-line some playing time together. I don't see how having Greg Toler play with the two's is helping the defense to learn to play together. It seems to me that both Lutui and Toler are destined to play with the one's, and not having them with that unit is hurting performance.

Maybe it is time to get the (players) on each unit together, and forget the (earning your spot) scenario that this staff loves to employ. At least to me, it seems that between him and Reggie Wells, Lutui is hands down, the more effective player. (Same with Toler and McBride), Toler seems to be sharper and more effective at the corner opposite DRC.

Maybe it is time to acknowlege that some players have established their positions, regardless of the time they have with this team. Maybe it is time to let those units play together so they can establish some cohesion.

Maybe that needs to happen before any QB can come in and take charge of the one's. All I know is that there was positively NO life in #7 tonight, and there is NO accuracy, or touch, in #3. Mayube it is time to give #7 the unit that (should) be playing together, and let that unit get some reps together. As of now, this situation is getting worse, not better!!!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many people trying to take this guy's job:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Look,-----this is a reloaded team. With that in mind, I think it is fair to say that we won't be the pass first-pass often team that we were under Warner. Matt Leinart, (to be truly successfull, needs to have a running game to help set up his play-action adgenda). So far, we have shown no running game. In fact, so far, we don't even have the best run-blockers playing with the O-line.

Yet, by constantly stressing that Leinart must get better, one would think that the staff would give him the best tools to succeed. Right now, this entire first offensive team is discombobulated. It is without purpose, and only seems to be striving to do what cannot be done, (without Warner at QB).

I know that the entire staff, (Whizenhunt included), wants to see Matt succeed Yet, they have continuously placed him into situations where (No One Can Succeed), then claim that he needs to grow. It would seem that if they want him to grow, then give him some of the things he needs in order to be able to have success. If, on the other hand, you are more concerned with not showing what you have in store for the league until the games are for real,-----then stop placing your already shaky, and confidence lacking starting QB into postitions where he cannot succeed.

It seems that someone needs to decide what they want, then set the table so it can be accomplished. If you don't want to tip your hand, then at least have your QB's back after not allowing that unit to succeed. Don't go out all vanilla, and have pass blocking linemen in the game, then try to pass, pass, pass. This team may need to run to set up the pass. If so, then you not only need to commit to the best run-blockers, but the best running backs. If not, then don't claim that you want to see more out of your QB. This constant negative feedback is helping no one and nothing.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Catfish, you read my mind man. I said the same thing. This couldn't possibly be the same poised, confident, win-at-all costs qb that we drafted. He seems like a ghost and nothing he says or does these days seem to indicate otherwise. I wish I didin't worry as much, because I know what he can do if all cylinders are clicking, but it's hard to just flick a switch once the regular season hits. SF must be licking their damn chops man.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you freaking JOKING? We're giving blitzers free runs at the QB, Leinart had about .8 seconds to make a throw, and the line makes a sieve look impassible...but Leinart's EXPRESSION has you worried? That's a laugh.
Stout you have a valid point bro. It'd be nice for him top actually have an opportunity to see the field. It's not all on Matt, I'll admit that much.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Matt has to step it up--

I too would like to see him play more, we all know what he had and we desperately want to see it now. Let's hope the offense steps it up too!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You want to know where Matty is? How about where's the protection? Where's the running game?

I know it's preseason, but I warned you guys!!! You don't change 4 of the 5 starters on the Oline & think things are better than what you had instantly. That Oline played together as as unit for close to 3 years. I don't care if you have Manning, Favre, Brees, Brady, etc behind no blocking...your offense is going to struggle until guys stop coming free.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with the folks saying what did people expect Matt to do given the situation.

The run blocking was awful so we were in long passing downs regularly. Then the pass blocking was bad so Matt was making short drops and quick throws. Then he had 2 rookie WR's who weren't necessarily ready to deal with constant blitzing which leads to hot reads, sight adjustments etc.

That one long throw to Williams clearly Matt expected him to zig and he zagged and Jaworski immediately said given the blitz that Williams should have been where Matt threw the ball, not where he ran. I like Williams but that play showed his inexperience Jaws very clearly said it wasn't Matt's fault.

The one blitz where Matt didn't audible and Hightower got stuffed, Gruden said he should have read it and audibled. Probably true but again he's dealing with at least 1 rookie WR(don't recall if both Roberts and Williams were in or just one of them) and he's dealing with an OL that hasn't gelled.

Matt was far from impressive tonight but I think for the most part he made the right reads and throws.

If the OL is this bad during the season it's not going to matter who is the QB.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Between terrible line play, conservative play calling and no Beanie, Matt is NOT getting a fair shot. Why the hell are we waiting until Andersen comes in to run 4 WR and get Beanie some play? Matt is getting hosed on first string opportunities.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
This-----if your #1 QB starts, and you leave him in two series, and he goes 6-7 and 49 yards, no score, no int, (and you follow that up with saying that you want to see more fire out of him, then don't come out the following week and give him 9 snaps while not having his best blockers, and runners in the game. If you are trying to build pride, cohesiveness, and confidence into this unit, don't put your best guy into a situation where he can't be successful. If you do that, then you MUST have his back when it is time to face the music. He had a super QB rating last week and you dissed him in public. You hardly are building confidence and cohesiveness into anyone on this unit by setting the table like you have.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Between terrible line play, conservative play calling and no Beanie, Matt is NOT getting a fair shot. Why the hell are we waiting until Andersen comes in to run 4 WR and get Beanie some play?

Probably for the reason Donald already stated. The coaching staff has more faith in Leinart.

Bobcat

Reaction score

Whiz has broken this Kids spirit and confidence in Himself as an NFL QB...!!!
Thanks Whiz after what you said to the ESPN Reporters on Sunday about Matt, you totally blow all of the wind out of Matt's Sails...!!! It sounds very similar what you tried to do to Big Ben, but at least Bill C knew better.

BOBCAT:bang::sad::(:mad:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
i don't know if Whiz has secret communications with Matt where he says it's all good, watch what I say on ESPN and laugh, it's an act or not but otherwise he's played the same game ever since Matt's been here.

I frankly have no idea why other than he dosen't like him or thinks that this will eventually mold him or both or what.

It's not working, and I don't think it ever will work, Matt isn't built that way and if he never works out here that's ok by me and I'll lose like one season as this unfolds but it just seems so pointless to me in that it has no point I can figure out.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I actually thought Matt did well all things considered. My only concern is the Oline. I was watching some of the Bengal/Eagle game and was impressed with how well the Bengal Oline picked up the Eagle blitzes. Hopefully our line will gel soon and start playing somewhere near the Bengal Oline level.

Its pre-season football and we all know how little Whiz places on it. LSH continues to impress with his play. I hope he see the ball about 100 times this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave