DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am so freaking happy with Dirtectv right now. I just called them again and didnt threaten them at all. Just said I called to see if I could get a favor after all these years. Lady asked what I wanted. I stated a free HD-DVR. She said ok not a problem and set it up. Will be here in 48 business hours.

:thumbup:

They should be giving those POS away. :p

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The new ones are fantastic. I love them. The old ones TIVO models sucked azz.

HR21 is what you speak of?

I have 3, if you don't know any better, I guess they are "ok" My Verizon dvr's wipe the floor with them.

I can't understand how processors get faster every year, yet DTV menu speed/scrolling and just general fuctions get slower with every new box they roll out.

I know I bring this up too much... I'm just a picky bastard with electronics. :p :deadhorse2:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HR21 is what you speak of?

I have 3, if you don't know any better, I guess they are "ok" My Verizon dvr's wipe the floor with them.

I can't understand how processors get faster every year, yet DTV menu speed/scrolling and just general fuctions get slower with every new box they roll out.

I know I bring this up too much... I'm just a picky bastard with electronics. :p :deadhorse2:

My experience is that my HR-21's are noticeably faster then any of my HR-20 models in almost everything they do from setup, scrolling and using the guide. I now have 3 HR-21's and two HR-20's. I have a hard time going back to the 2 HR-20's in the other rooms because they feel slow.

I agree though that DTV DVR's lack the user friendliness of the TIVO DVR's or some of the others. Then again, I had a Generation 1 TIVO and I hated it.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Just sent an email in to complain about pricing again to directv, I haven't gotten jack squat from them over the phone. I'm running out of time before I'm watching week 2 in standard definition or having to pay full price for superfan.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Just sent an email in to complain about pricing again to directv, I haven't gotten jack squat from them over the phone. I'm running out of time before I'm watching week 2 in standard definition or having to pay full price for superfan.

Try sweetening the deal with $5,000 ASFN bucks, that should do it. Ask Shane to help in the negotiations as he should have all our m oney in another month or so. :)

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Bump this for 2010

funny thing now is they have a script for you based on who your favorite nfl team is If you call to cancel sunday ticket they ask for your favorite team. Once I said the cardinals he said how about Leinart? Is he going to start or is D.Anderson.

He went on to mention antron rolle and Karlos Dabby. I laughed and asked if he knew anything about football. He admited he does but nothing about the Cardinals, he was reading it from a "Cardinals fan" script. haha nice try

anyway got $20 off/month, waived hd access for 6 months and got stars and showtime free for 6 months.

anyone else call yet?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i just called and signed up. have no idea what the ala carte prices were, but feel comfortable that i got a pretty good deal. i'm excited to experience sunday ticket for the first time.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Bump this for 2010

funny thing now is they have a script for you based on who your favorite nfl team is If you call to cancel sunday ticket they ask for your favorite team. Once I said the cardinals he said how about Leinart? Is he going to start or is D.Anderson.

He went on to mention antron rolle and Karlos Dabby. I laughed and asked if he knew anything about football. He admited he does but nothing about the Cardinals, he was reading it from a "Cardinals fan" script. haha nice try

anyway got $20 off/month, waived hd access for 6 months and got stars and showtime free for 6 months.

anyone else call yet?

I'm gonna call this week. I hear it's best to call in the morning as there may be a per day quota. That sounds like a good deal you got LV - what did you say to get it? Did you say you were cancelling?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called them also. Someone here on the thread mentioned they still left the $10 charge for the games on internet and phone. So I waited for my bill to come and it was on there so I called them. They took it off and gave me credit for what they had already charged me. Plus for my trouble they gave me a $ 60 credit on NFL package since I bundle with Qwest. Saved about $ 120.

I'll probably call back and whine about my receiver in the kitchen. I never got HD with it because it was some junk TV I've had for 10 years. Bought a new TV from CostCo (hi Cody) and wife said the picture sucks w/o HD. I may have to beg for a new receiver, but that's ok

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I'm gonna call this week. I hear it's best to call in the morning as there may be a per day quota. That sounds like a good deal you got LV - what did you say to get it? Did you say you were cancelling?

said i was cancelling at the prompt, got to a rep and said i was cancelling sunday ticket. Actually the deal i got last year was better. This was ok i guess but they usually take more off per month.

Tried to get the new subscriber deal but they wouldnt bite.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Add me to the list; called to cancel again this year, and got 20 off for 6 months, plus 10 off for six months for hd service.

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called to cancel, ended up paying 36$/mo for 5 months...about 180$ or so. Worth it for an out of towner.

okcardzona

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bump this for 2010

anyone else call yet?

I got the Cardinals talk and the $20 off also but only 3 months on the Stars and showtime. :bang:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap I love me some Directv! I called them about 4 weeks ago or so complaining about the cost of sunday ticket. The customer service rep gave me 10 dollars off(free HD programming) for two years.

I logged on to their website today and saw that if you are a brand new customer signing up and you get Sunday ticket included you get free HD for life and 5 months worth of bills for free. As well as a free HD DVR and a free HD receiver.

I called and immediately asked for retention dept. I told him that I could not believe how much free crap they were giving new customers. That I have been a loyal customer for almost 12 years and have given them thousands of dollars yet I am not getting anything even close to what they are giving new customers. I told him if I were to get 5 months free billing that would save me about $650.00.

He immediately said that he understood the frustration and without me asking offered to give me an immediate 120.00 credit to my bill rather than the 20.00 a month for six months. He gave me both Cinemax and Showtime free for 6 months. Then he offered to give me another HD DVR free of charge including free shipping.

All in all Im saving the immediate $120.00. Plus the free Showtime and Cinemax saving me another $120.00, then getting my 3rd HD-DVR free of charge saving me $199.00, plus the free HD for two years that I got saving another $240.00.

Total savings pretty close to $700.00!

Happy as a pig in SH**! :)

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I too have played this customer retention game for years.. The first dozen years or so, I marveled at my craftiness, and rather enjoyed playing the game.. To be honest though, I'm getting sick of it.. It's almost like they grossly overcharge everyone, and for those that actually have the time/patience to play this BS every year, they bring you down to their "non inflated" price.

Just give me a fair deal without making me jump through hoops every fricking year, I've been a loyal customer since their inception, I deserve better.

p.s Their HD DVR's are still laggy P.O.S
Hopefully the long talked about Tivo revival comes sooner than later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just give me a fair deal without making me jump through hoops every fricking year, I've been a loyal customer since their inception, I deserve better.

I do know the feeling. They still have the best overall product IMO but I left them this past March and I have few regrets. I'll miss the NFL games but I don't miss playing the retention game with them each year. After 14 years I figured I deserved better.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have played this customer retention game for years.. The first dozen years or so, I marveled at my craftiness, and rather enjoyed playing the game.. To be honest though, I'm getting sick of it.. It's almost like they grossly overcharge everyone, and for those that actually have the time/patience to play this BS every year, they bring you down to their "non inflated" price.

p.s Their HD DVR's are still laggy P.O.S
Hopefully the long talked about Tivo revival comes sooner than later.

Doesn't bug me at all. They have a far superior product compared to anything else on the market IMO. Overall their prices are very competitive.

Calling retention and being on the phone for 20 minutes once a year is nothing at all and hardly a hassle. I look at as a bonus. if you were with Dish network or cable or whatever they all give new subscribers deals to join. Deals that they cant match for longtime customers. Par for the course.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a commercial for Dish Network that advertised Red Zone Channel for $7/month. I immediately went to the DirecTV site to see if they had the same offer. Nope. Their site merely brags that they have all the games, not just the Red Zone channel. They act like it's some kind of fair comparison.

The full Sunday Ticket is great if you're an out-of-town fan and don't mind spending $200 to $320/year for it. But I live in town and don't want to pay $320 for all the games. I just want the Red Zone Channel. But DirecTV will only give it to you if you pay full price. Sucks.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Here's a lesson for you on why you should always pay your DirecTV bill on time.

I've had rough financial times due to various issues, and up until a few months ago I was running behind by about 10-20 days on paying my bill. Thus, when I called to complain about pricing and such, after a quick tete-a-tete, I only received 20 percent off. I'll still end up paying 240 bucks for Sunday ticket.

Now, that price is definitely worth it for me to keep the Ticket, and I won't cry about getting money off. Reading through the thread, however, the customers who have paid on time for years are only paying 180 bucks for the Ticket. That's an extra 20 percent off.

Granted, I hadn't any choice in falling behind, but it will be nice to get more off in this song-and-dance next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a commercial for Dish Network that advertised Red Zone Channel for $7/month. I immediately went to the DirecTV site to see if they had the same offer. Nope. Their site merely brags that they have all the games, not just the Red Zone channel. They act like it's some kind of fair comparison.

The full Sunday Ticket is great if you're an out-of-town fan and don't mind spending $200 to $320/year for it. But I live in town and don't want to pay $320 for all the games. I just want the Red Zone Channel. But DirecTV will only give it to you if you pay full price. Sucks.

I didn't realize that DirecTV had added the Red Zone Channel. When did this happen? They use to show the Red Zone on the NFL channel but it wasn't all the games, IIRC. Having left DTV, I'm going to miss all the games but I was hoping the RZC would soften the blow for me this season.

Steve

Shortbus

Reaction score
Just a heads up, I called customer service complaining that I did not get early bird rate when I ordered the ticket two months ago. They gave me six months of $20 off, free nfl to go, and free starz/showtime for six months. All I wanted was early bird rate. Seems like if you just call they will give you something. NFL ticket is only way to go if you live out of town. Anyone in the Bay area need someone to watch the cards with PM me!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose