Vince Young Punches Man At Houston Strip Club

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not like the world has an abundance of heros, and role models to look up to.
And I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. The world has plenty of heroes and role models. If you're looking to the world of pro sports for them you're simply looking in the wrong place.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
And I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. The world has plenty of heroes and role models. If you're looking to the world of pro sports for them you're simply looking in the wrong place.

Where are you going to find them ?

Just curious.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you going to find them ?

Just curious.
The world is full of them. The guy that gets up and kisses his family goodbye everyday and goes to work until it's dark everyday to feed his family is a role model.

The woman who balances a career and a her job as a single mom and manages to give her kids a loving home is a role model.

The guy who gets up at the crack of dawn to work on his farm so the world can eat fresh produce is a role model.

The cop who puts his life on the line so you can feel good about walking down the street after dark is a role model.

They are literally everywhere.

These people do something that matters, and what they do is relevant in a young persons life. Football doesn't and isn't.

JMHO

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why? Because that's lazy parenting.

I am not a parent so I really can't say. I don't know how much work has to go into it.

Why in the world would we encourage professional athletes to be our childrens' role models when they've failed in spectacular fashion time and time again? These guys are kids themselves and are not qualified to be role models.

In this case we are talking about a 27 year man. On a philosophical level your age is more in tuned with your maturity and mind. But 27 ? You are no longer young, you are just irresponsible and dangerous.

I wish I got that kind of slack for "being young and don't know no better" when I was 19 let alone 27.

I mean, fair enough, your points are more than valid. I am just on the other side of the fence that is sickened at this kind of crap.

Hot tubs, and non-voilent crimes are one thing. This is a video of Vince Young trying to beat the tar out of another man. At 27, how is that anyway acceptable at any level ? Kid my fanny.

Yet, I should not be kidding myself. It is a professional athelete. He lives the double standard life, of getting everything for his god-given talent, and never has to play by the rules, take responsibililty, or even be a civilized human being.....gross. Yet, another reason to stop watching football given the oppourtunity of a lock out next year. Just disgusting.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Times have changed. 30 years ago it would be no big deal. In fact people would be saying that VY was a real man for being true to his school. Now he's immature and should be suspended and sued.

Twenty first century America sucks.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Times have changed. 30 years ago it would be no big deal. In fact people would be saying that VY was a real man for being true to his school. Now he's immature and should be suspended and sued.

well said....i think people just don't know how mad it makes a horn feel when someone(epecially a chokeU person) does the upside down hook em'. I mean lindale white was probably the reason the horns came back in the NT game when he thought his trojans were in the clear and he proceeded to insult us. how did that 4th and short work out for him? he was upside down. He should have been laid out with bevo instead eating grass.

but as you said times have changed. If you are famous and you get caught on camera doing something like this...you are either a bum or the next reality star.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure glad I wasn't around 30 years ago then. Oh, wait a minute, I was. In my world we would have laughed at the idea that being manipulated into throwing a punch just because someone mocked your school was evidence someone was a "real man". If you're not "man" enough to take a little teasing you're not much of a man in my book. If his buttons are that easy to push how can anyone expect him to survive let alone thrive in the NFL.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
VY will never live that video down....... Classic.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're an athlete, strip clubs = your kryptonite. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I wonder why this has not been asked yet but...How was his throwing motion on that punch?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I wonder why this has not been asked yet but...How was his throwing motion on that punch?

Looked a little sidearm to me;)

What a bunch of jokers that QB class is so far. I love Matty but between his love of underage girls and beer bongs, shirtless VY drinking Patron - being mentally fragile - and fighting at strip clubs, and the petulent socially akward Jay Cutler what was in the water that year?

Matt has distanced himself the most from the immaturity but hes gotta a full offseason left. Stay focused and lead your QB class out of the mediocrity Matty. We are counting on you big boy:thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I wasn't around 30 years ago then. Oh, wait a minute, I was. In my world we would have laughed at the idea that being manipulated into throwing a punch just because someone mocked your school was evidence someone was a "real man". If you're not "man" enough to take a little teasing you're not much of a man in my book. If his buttons are that easy to push how can anyone expect him to survive let alone thrive in the NFL.

Steve

+1

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the problem was they had the tape from the rose bowl....that makes up for anything else. just like in high school...the best football jock can be the dumbest...even ugliest guy on campus...but if he is a prospect he is the most beloved kid in the school.

This was a stupid mistake by vince, but it is not the end of the world. He can get past this if he gets his act together. he didn't shoot anyone or provide alcohol to underage chicks. I don't think this was a premeditated offense....nor was it a repeat offense so I don't think he'll even get suspended. However, he is now on the goodell crap list and the next issue will likely mean suspension. He needs to realize that he is a target and that people are going to provoke him in the future to try and get a reaction out of him. aside from that if you are a famous NFL player, nothing good can come from being a strip club at 3AM. Unfortunately that's just the way it goes.

Nothing makes up for stupidity when you're talking about an NFL quarterback IMO.

I agree that this isn't thaaaaat big of a deal though. Is VY a moron IMHO, yes. Is he a bad guy or criminal, no.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo Bud.Trust your coach.

Can Titans rely on Vince Young?

Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for the past 15 seasons as a beat writer and is the former president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Updated Jun 14, 2010 3:46 PM ET

I can’t wait to hear what Bud Adams has to say now.

The Tennessee Titans owner has publicly boasted that it was his decision to put Vince Young back on the field last season.

VINCE YOUNG IN TROUBLE
Get the latest on Vince Young's Texas misstep in a Dallas strip club.

So how does the quarterback repay that show of support? By embarrassing his 87-year-old benefactor with a citation for misdemeanor assault early Sunday morning at a Dallas strip club.

Young will have his day in court to explain why he punched another man in the face during a skirmish caught on security video. Young, though, is already guilty of horrific judgment and the same kind of immaturity that landed him on the bench in the first place.

Going to someplace like Club Onyx Dallas – the self-proclaimed “largest urban gentlemen’s club in the south” offering private parties “for the average Joe or the hottest ball player in the game” – isn’t a crime in and of itself. But of all people, a former teammate of Adam "Pacman" Jones should know this isn’t the kind of place someone with such a high profile should be patronizing. Trouble can be found inside these types of establishments even if you’re not looking for it.

Young left the scene before police arrived and didn’t immediately issue a statement about what happened. Adams also hasn’t publicly addressed the situation. Citing a police source, Dallas television station KDAF-TV reported that Young became upset when a club employee made disparaging remarks about the University of Texas accompanied with an upside-down “Hook ’em Horns” salute.

For the record, Young is 27 years old.

This isn’t the first time Young displayed public behavior that is unacceptable from the most important leadership position on any football team. Type his name into a Google search and the first images that appear show a shirtless Young chugging tequila from a bottle at a club in 2008. A year later, Young tastelessly channeled his inner Pacman by “making it rain” with a wad of dollar bills he threw into the crowd at a Nelly concert.

Toss in this latest incident and I imagine Young’s next excursion will be to a spot where the champagne doesn’t flow freely: Club Roger in New York City.

Under the NFL’s personal conduct policy, a conviction isn’t necessary for discipline or a summons to league headquarters. On the Dan Patrick radio show, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell cited a “pattern of behavior” and “bad judgments” before suspending Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for six games. Goodell later said Roethlisberger was guilty of conduct that “undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs or players.”

The sexual assault allegations against Roethlisberger were certainly far more serious than the charge Young is facing. Young, though, can be disciplined for what Goodell described in his letter to Roethlisberger as actions that impose “inherent danger to the safety and well-being of another person.”

We could soon be witnessing the kind of NFL history that Goodell never wanted under his watch. If he levies a multi-game suspension against Young, both starting quarterbacks will be sidelined for conduct violations when Pittsburgh plays at Tennessee in Week 2.

Vince Young's maturity questions already cost him the Titans' starting QB job once when he was kept on the bench behind Kerry Collins (right).
Doug Benc

Even if Young gets a pass as a first-time offender, this is another sad episode for a player who seemed to have turned a corner both personally and professionally. Young needed to reinvent himself after a 2008 meltdown. He begged out of the season opener against Jacksonville and was so despondent afterward that Titans officials were concerned about a possible suicide attempt. Even when he returned after recovering from a minor knee injury, Titans coach Jeff Fisher kept Young out and stuck with Kerry Collins. Tennessee went 13-3 with the journeyman under center as Young pouted behind the scenes about his lack of playing time.

His work ethic and attitude gradually improved, but it took an Adams order for Fisher to reinsert Young into the starting lineup after last year’s 0-6 start. Young then stunned the NFL by once again showcasing the talent that help him lead Texas to a national championship and win the 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award. Tennessee won eight of its final 10 games. He regained the trust of teammates who had questioned his commitment. Once again, Young was following in the footsteps of his mentor – the late Steve McNair.

And then this weekend happens.

There was already enough pressure on Fisher as it is. Star running back Chris Johnson is threatening a holdout without a new contract. The defense needs improvement after a No. 28 ranking in 2009. And Adams told The Tennessean in April that he expects a playoff berth.

“It’s going to be up to coach Fisher to get the job done,” Adams said.

The task becomes much harder when you can’t rely upon your quarterback to use common sense.

Reaction score
The world is full of them. The guy that gets up and kisses his family goodbye everyday and goes to work until it's dark everyday to feed his family is a role model.

The woman who balances a career and a her job as a single mom and manages to give her kids a loving home is a role model.

The guy who gets up at the crack of dawn to work on his farm so the world can eat fresh produce is a role model.

The cop who puts his life on the line so you can feel good about walking down the street after dark is a role model.

They are literally everywhere.

These people do something that matters, and what they do is relevant in a young persons life. Football doesn't and isn't.

JMHO

I totally agree.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Steve

In your world? Where is that? Exactly the kind of response I was referring to.

Also looks like Young has survived and thrived in the NFL. Sure kicked our guys rears last year. 387 yards passing and a game winning TD pass.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
In your world? Where is that? Exactly the kind of response I was referring to.

Also looks like Young has survived and thrived in the NFL. Sure kicked our guys rears last year. 387 yards passing and a game winning TD pass.

I live on the same world, we call it earth.

In my opinion, it is a sign of insecurity and weakness. It shows how incredibly stupid Young is. If "back in the day" you were admired for having a short fuse, bad judgement, and fighting over trifle issues then thank goodness I don't live in a time where this kind of ignorance is glorified.

But if you wanna say assault is OK, and not a big deal that is fine, to talk about what an amazing football player he is when NOTHING is on the line, that is your opinion. I got a extremely good friend that would agree with you 100%.

Judges and police officers don't seem to see it the same way, and neither do I.

For Boondocks fans:

____ moment + _____ synthesis = Complete _____ disaster. And there is proof of it. LOL

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, it is a sign of insecurity and weakness. It shows how incredibly stupid Young is. If "back in the day" you were admired for having a short fuse, bad judgement, and fighting over trifle issues then thank goodness I live in a time where this kind of ignorance is glorified.

But if you wanna say assault is OK, and not a big deal that is fine, to talk about what an amazing football player he is when NOTHING is on the line, that is your opinion. I got a extremely good friend that would agree with you 100%.

For Boondocks fans:

____ moment + _____ synthesis = Complete _____ disaster. And there is proof of it. LOL

+1 back at you

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Oh, and Vince Young certainly won the game against us last year, no doubt.

But, lets not have a national media's memory about the situation.

I remember a 4th down conversion on that game winning drive were a tipped pass fell right into the hands of a Titan for 1st down no less.

That would be called luck, not skill.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Rugby if we had only had a little luck on our side on 2-1-09!!! It seemed like all the things that usually went against us for decades, went right during the season of 2008 until that fateful day in Tampa. The Redbirds had every bounce of the ball, all the calls go for them in the playoffs & almost reversed in Tampa. Very Ironic after I just read your words & something I really haven't thought about until 2day. I just knew we were destined to hoist the Lombardi that day...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Next time i'm out at a Cards game, if anyone says something bad about OSU, it's go time :D.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oh, and Vince Young certainly won the game against us last year, no doubt.

But, lets not have a national media's memory about the situation.

I remember a 4th down conversion on that game winning drive were a tipped pass fell right into the hands of a Titan for 1st down no less.

what about the other 300 yards. the fact is he started at the one yard line and drove his team down the field to score the game winning TD. under those circumstances you are going to need some help.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

In my opinion, it is a sign of insecurity and weakness. It shows how incredibly stupid Young is. If "back in the day" you were admired for having a short fuse, bad judgement, and fighting over trifle issues then thank goodness I don't live in a time where this kind of ignorance is glorified.

For Boondocks fans:

I agree about most of that...where I'm from I was taught to be humble and respectful around people. I will also say that if you are taunting a guy in that type of setting....you got it coming to you eventually. If I were vince I would have let someone else throw the punch for me though given his status.

this wasn't a football game where he flipped off some fans or even went in the stands after someone threw a beer at him. this was in a club where someone insulted him(when they probably shouldn't have) and he reacted. it is a minor offense that happens all of the time. In many cases people aren't even charged.

Last edited: