Article on Beanie

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice, nice article. Speaking of the line Trotter says, "The group is big, talented and eager to throw its weight around."

Love it! I like that the guys have that attitude and I love that people are writing sentences like that about our team.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"
There were times in the season where it was like, 'OK, everybody knows we're going to pass. There's no need for us to even get down in a stance,' " says left tackle Levi Brown. "In this game you want to feel like you're attacking. You can attack when you're passing but, for the most part, you're adjusting to your opponent. When you're run blocking, you can get up in this guy's chest, you can try to take advantage of your weight and strength. If we can balance that out and give people a little bit more to worry about, it changes up things. It makes you a little bit more dangerous."

Now that's what I want to hear.

Beat up the safeties with Beanie and TH so they can't effectively double our WRs in the 4th Quarter. That's real football.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
"

Beat up the safeties with Beanie and TH so they can't effectively double our WRs in the 4th Quarter. That's real football.

Sadly, not any more. If you haven't invested in a FootballOutsiders annual, it's really a great investment. One of the things that they've come to realize is that you don't run to win, you run when you win.

I think that if the Cards are going to be successful, you're going to see them pass 60% of the time through the first three quarters, and then just lower the hammer with the running game. Frank Gore was a very good back all season long for San Francisco, but you just can't keep up with NFL passing offenses with a 60% run philosophy. The Cards'll probably run 70% of the time in the 4th quarter with a lead, and should be able to do it successfully with this unit, but their defense isn't going to be good enough to win a bunch of games 20-14 or something next year.

Fun fact: the 2009 New York Jets lost to the Buffalo Bills 16-13 last year in Week 7 when Mark Sanchez was the leading passer and Thomas Jones rushed for 210 yards. WTF?

I think we'll see the Cards passing out of more traditional alignments (which is one reason I'm so concerned about our crappy TEs), and then see our offensive line bowling over exhausted linebackers and safeties in the 4th quarter.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"

Agreed.
For better or worse, we're living in exciting times. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sadly, not any more. If you haven't invested in a FootballOutsiders annual, it's really a great investment. One of the things that they've come to realize is that you don't run to win, you run when you win.

I think that if the Cards are going to be successful, you're going to see them pass 60% of the time through the first three quarters, and then just lower the hammer with the running game. Frank Gore was a very good back all season long for San Francisco, but you just can't keep up with NFL passing offenses with a 60% run philosophy. The Cards'll probably run 70% of the time in the 4th quarter with a lead, and should be able to do it successfully with this unit, but their defense isn't going to be good enough to win a bunch of games 20-14 or something next year.

Fun fact: the 2009 New York Jets lost to the Buffalo Bills 16-13 last year in Week 7 when Mark Sanchez was the leading passer and Thomas Jones rushed for 210 yards. WTF?

I think we'll see the Cards passing out of more traditional alignments (which is one reason I'm so concerned about our crappy TEs), and then see our offensive line bowling over exhausted linebackers and safeties in the 4th quarter.

What I'm talking about is different. You don't run all the time. You just run your big physical backs in a manner to force the safeties to make tackles. After a couple of quarters of having to come up and hit Beanie or TH the safeties start to wear down. Then they can't play as well in the 4th quarter.

I totally agree with you that in today's NFL you pass to get the lead and run to keep it. Something the Cards have not done very well in the past but now appear to be ready to accomplish. How much better is Leinart going to be with teams having to keep a safety up to stop Beanie and Timmy from running all over them?

seesred

Reaction score
The bigest challange for the Bean is staying healthy. The talant is there for huge numbers, but he plays hard and likes to hit (Q) that can get guys hurt in this league. He strong, young,motivated and all things remaining equal will rip this league apart with our revamped front line. Exciting times,

GBR

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seems like that whatever the percentages of running vs passing for the a game we need to first and foremost become less predictable in our playcalling and gameplanning.
However we do it we need to find a way each game to keep the opposing D guessing and do the opposite of their strength. If our Offense can become that versatile it would be awesome! Is that too big of an if?

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Just hope a poor to bad defensive showing from us could dictate just what kind of offense we run if we get behind early and big.

Then can our offense throw us back into a game with speed?We won't be able to go to our strength if its beanie and Timmy running the ball.

It may remind you of the Playoff game the Cardinals played with the Panthers in Charlotte.They drove the field on the first drive and scored pretty easy running on our defense.We matched their score with our passing and the Turnovers changed the game as we got an interception that led us to another quick passing score which took the Panthers out of their strength of running the ball on us and wearing us down.

The interceptions stacked up and the rest was history.Now the Panthers have a young Matt moore who was 4-1 in his five games with 8 TD's and 1 int. last year.The panthers along with the rams both overpaid in resigning washed up QB's to the largest contracts in franchise history and two years later the teams took giant losses in cutting both Delhome & Bulger to go in another direction.

The browns picked up Delhome and Bulger is still looking and finally our GM came out yesterday to say the CARDS are not looking to add anyone to our group of QB's.Refering to speculation the CARDS were looking to add Bulger.I'm so glad Rod put an end to the rumors for Matts sake.Yet Coach Whiz has said he is'nt naming a starter yet.Good for competition and our very young guys are even looking good.Meaning Skelton & our UDFA QB.

With our top 4 wide recievers at 100% health we can throw the ball with anyone, if our QB is on.We're gonna NEED that to win a SuperBowl.Glad to now have Beanie & Timmy ready to add a real second strength to this team.You don't have to be finesse to be a pass blocker,and aggresive to be a run blocker.You can be an aggressive pass blocker.Trust me.Only the offense knows the play before the snap,without giving anything away in your technique and film study the offense should always have the edge in the way we dominate on our offensive line.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with the comments about "running because you're winning" and the indirect benefits of being able to run the ball (i.e. use up time, protect a lead, set up play action passes).

But I think the media-emphasis on Wiz reverting to a smashmouth running game is more than a little bit overblown.

What I expect is a continuation of Wiz's policy of "living off the land" (i.e. making the most of the mix of talent we've got) and if that still means Matt or Derek throwing on 2 of every 3 plays, that's what he'll do - if it's what it takes to win.

With regard to which is better - a running game, a short passing game, deep passing game etc., I believe that winning in the NFL has more and more to do with "answers" on both sides of the ball.

It's about exploiting favorable matchups and meeting your opponents' adjustments to what you do with readjustments of your own - and then repeating that process over and over again throughout the game.

Where you run into problems is when you don't have answers - i.e. your opponent decides to run the ball down your throat and nothing you do can stop them. Or your opponent repeatedly blows up your ISO running play in the backfield before Beanie can get started.

All of which means, you ideally stack up your roster to maximize your team's versatility. Think about it: Beanie. THT. LSH. Each talented, but each with vastly differing skill-sets. Answers.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I found this at the end of an ESPN article:

Those who have seen Beanie Wells say that the second-year Arizona tailback is considerably quicker than a year ago. The Cardinals' first-round pick in 2009, Wells didn't start a game, but still ran for nearly 200 yards more than starter Tim Hightower.

A considerably quicker Beanie would be a nightmare for the rest of the league. If he can break off a couple more big runs, I think he could reach top 10 status by the end of next year.