Keys to the Cards winning the NFC West in 2010

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic about this year, though it's too really to make any real predictions...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my take.

We have the weapons on this offense that would simply be a waste to not use them.

Matt's success will be tied to the offensive line. If we are able to run the ball with this smashmouth mentality, play action will open up the entire field for this offense. That being said I just do not see Whiz reeling in this offense to become this grind it out , ball control type team. He will keep a balanced attack. In fact I think we are going to be a little surprised on just how wide open this offense is going to be. Why?

For one, because we do not have the defense to play conservative. At least not yet.
Two. If we come out with this smashmouth mentality and "waste " our first two drives we may very well find ourselves like many of our opponents last year.....2 scores down by the end of the 1st quarter.

We have to rid ourselves of this mentality that Leinart needs to be coddled and that we have to totally change our play calling and offensive philosophy for him to succeed. Throw when they think you're going to run and run when you have them on your heels.
I will say that the addition of Faneca will give opponents the perception that our offensive personality will change. I think we will see a subtle change like actually running on a 3rd and 2 situation.

We have to assume the offense won't be quite as prolific as it has been over the last.Therfore, my key to winning the West will rest on the shoulders of the defense. They simply have to be better than last year. Instead of winning games 28-24, we will need to win games 21-17.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Here are my keys for the D.

1. D needs to finish off games this year - Was the D just tired in the 4th quarter, Did our stars play to many snaps, Did the O not have high enough time of possession?

I think the answer to all three of those is yes. Dockett, Campbell, Dansby, Haggans, that is 4 starters in the top 10 in total snaps played at their positions. That is 4 starters who were never asked to leave the field and take a breather, that is 4 starters in the front 7 who had to be dog tired to end each game, especially in the last two games in the playoffs. IMO Branch and Iwebema must be rotated in far more often then last year to give Campbell and Dockett a little bit of a breather. Old man Haggans needs to have one of the two young guns rotated in for his old legs far more often as well.

The whole D also played the 8th amount of total snaps in the NFL. Don't think it was because teams were dinking and dunking on us, we ranked right smack dab in the average of yards given up per play. Since Wiz has been here 2009 was the first time our O didn't have a T.O.P. better then 30 minutes. That is part of it, hopefully we can raise last years 29:45 minutes per game on O to 31 minutes and over.

Lastly, attitude was a reason why our D couldn't finish off games. While a really good player I think Dansby lacked killer instinct, hopefully DRC has gained that this year, hopefully Donnie Henderson can instill that in his DB core, hopefully Porter can instill that in his front 7 core.

2. Calias Campbell - Dude was amazing last year, in fact if he could of just finished off plays I think we would all be talking about how he is better then Dockett. How many times did Campbell have the QB dead to rights for a sack only to slide right off, I can count 3 off the top of my head. How many more sacks and hits on the QB could he have had if he just finished off each of his plays which started off with him making the OT he was facing look foolish? How much faster would the D have come off the field if he finished off plays? How much worse would the QB feel in the 4th quarter? How much worse mental shape would the OT be in the 4th quarter knowing he is getting his QB killed?

3. Penalties - I say it every year. Some say it is OK because that is just what will happen with aggressive defenses or the NFL refs are out to get the poor lowly Cardinals. I say bull caca. It is what happens with stupid defenses. Ravens and Jets have two of the most aggressive D's in the NFL and they only have 88 and 87 penalties compared to our 104. Our own D is shooting themselves in their own foot. That cant happen anymore.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here's my take.

We have the weapons on this offense that would simply be a waste to not use them.

Matt's success will be tied to the offensive line. If we are able to run the ball with this smashmouth mentality, play action will open up the entire field for this offense. That being said I just do not see Whiz reeling in this offense to become this grind it out , ball control type team. He will keep a balanced attack. In fact I think we are going to be a little surprised on just how wide open this offense is going to be. Why?

For one, because we do not have the defense to play conservative. At least not yet.
Two. If we come out with this smashmouth mentality and "waste " our first two drives we may very well find ourselves like many of our opponents last year.....2 scores down by the end of the 1st quarter.

We have to rid ourselves of this mentality that Leinart needs to be coddled and that we have to totally change our play calling and offensive philosophy for him to succeed. Throw when they think you're going to run and run when you have them on your heels.
I will say that the addition of Faneca will give opponents the perception that our offensive personality will change. I think we will see a subtle change like actually running on a 3rd and 2 situation.

We have to assume the offense won't be quite as prolific as it has been over the last.Therefore, my key to winning the West will rest on the shoulders of the defense. They simply have to be better than last year. Instead of winning games 28-24, we will need to win games 21-17.

The defense has to come around. The last time the Cards won a game scoring less than 21 points was Nov 19 2006.

However the offense can't back off. Check most teams and, like the Cards, you will see few wins where they score 21 points or less. The Steelers won one game last year with 21 or less. The Jets 3. Out of the Ravens 20 wins the last two seasons only 4 came with 21 or less.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The defense has to come around. The last time the Cards won a game scoring less than 21 points was Nov 19 2006.

However the offense can't back off. Check most teams and, like the Cards, you will see few wins where they score 21 points or less. The Steelers won one game last year with 21 or less. The Jets 3. Out of the Ravens 20 wins the last two seasons only 4 came with 21 or less.
BIM

fewer.

:) :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are on the same page my friend. I think it's crazy to think this offense should suddenly become this conservative , run first smashmouth offense.
I think you stated in another thread that most of the top running offenses failed to make the playoffs.

We need balance and for Leinarts sake we need to be ABLE to run the ball. His success will be directly tied to play action, which we all know is only effective when you have a running game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
One thing you have to look at in using stats from the last couple of years is that the Cards would get out to big leads in many games.

Look at these halftime scores from 2009:

Jaguars 24-3
Texans 21-0
Seattle (1) 17-3
Bears 31-7
Rams (1) 21-3
Vikings 21-10
Lions 17-0
Rams (2) 17-0
Packers (2) 24-10

The whole D also played the 8th amount of total snaps in the NFL. Don't think it was because teams were dinking and dunking on us, we ranked right smack dab in the average of yards given up per play. Since Wiz has been here 2009 was the first time our O didn't have a T.O.P. better then 30 minutes. That is part of it, hopefully we can raise last years 29:45 minutes per game on O to 31 minutes and over.

I think these two points are interrelated. Our offensive gameplan coming into games was VERY strong (and was in 2008 as well) but the fast break offense would lead to the defense being on the field WAY too much in the first half and after opposing teams adjusted in the second half (both offensively and defensively) our now tired defense couldn't get off the field. I would like to see the splits in defensive TOP from half to half.

For as much good as Warner brought to the team, what many national people and NFCW Rivals fans fail to realize is that its not as simple as Kurt retiring therefore the Cardinals go back to sucking. For all the good in the passing game Warner brought he really f-ed up the running game and defense to a degree. The running game was obvious but I think the defense was worn down because of the offense as well.

49er fans especially seem to think, well if we could beat you with Warner, we will KILL you with Leinart. Not so fast. Part of the reason we played down to the 49ers the last two years is because of how bad of a match up the 49ers and their defense were for Kurt. I expect Leinart to match up with the 49ers MUCH better. Its the rest of the games I am not so sure about.

We will be a different team and will likely play more nail biters from beginning to end, but it doesn't mean we are going to definitely be worse. Its just the strengths of the team will change.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think these two points are interrelated. Our offensive gameplan coming into games was VERY strong (and was in 2008 as well) but the fast break offense would lead to the defense being on the field WAY too much in the first half and after opposing teams adjusted in the second half (both offensively and defensively) our now tired defense couldn't get off the field. I would like to see the splits in defensive TOP from half to half.

For as much good as Warner brought to the team, what many national people and NFCW Rivals fans fail to realize is that its not as simple as Kurt retiring therefore the Cardinals go back to sucking. For all the good in the passing game Warner brought he really f-ed up the running game and defense to a degree. The running game was obvious but I think the defense was worn down because of the offense as well.

49er fans especially seem to think, well if we could beat you with Warner, we will KILL you with Leinart. Not so fast. Part of the reason we played down to the 49ers the last two years is because of how bad of a match up the 49ers and their defense were for Kurt. I expect Leinart to match up with the 49ers MUCH better. Its the rest of the games I am not so sure about.

We will be a different team and will likely play more nail biters from beginning to end, but it doesn't mean we are going to definitely be worse. Its just the strengths of the team will change.

Good points. Also factor in that the running game never did really get to the point where the Cards could run the clock. They'd try, fail, and go three and out putting the D right back on the field. I may go back and look at some of those games to see how many times the Cards went 3-0 after they built those leads. But I'm too lazy right now. :)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Running the ball and controlling the clock is an attitude. We lacked that attitude last year, (and every year since Joe Bugel was fired). We now have the players, and the coach in place that can reinstate that attitude, (both linemen and runnng backs).

I expect us to be able to convert third and short on the ground with regularity now, (which was unheard of the past 10 years or so). We should become the type of run offense that can impose its will on the opponents. That will help clock management.

I also feel that at least splitting regular season wins with the Niners is going to be crucial this year. We look to be better suited to playing their style of game, and this should go far toward not falling behind in the season series with them. Both offensively and defensively, we will have different and more intense attitudes than we had last year. That should come up big when crucial third downs occur during games. It should help our defense get off the field, and help our offense to sustain a few more drives than last year, both of which should translate to ball control and clock management.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the philosophy of the team will change but not in the way you posted even though the Cards will likely have a far greater balance between pass and run than with Warner.

I think that the Cards problems were that they did coast when things were going good and then once they got in a hole turned it back up again. That's why they brought in guys like Faneca and Porter and made other roster changes. To instill a killer instinct.

To change the culture of the team to one that races out in front and doesn't let off the accelerator. No more getting up 21-0 and needing a 4th quarter goal line stand to win. No more getting to 7-3 with a big win over a name opponent and taking the next week off.

Which is exactly what the Cards had to do to stay on top in the NFC West.

I do think the are going to be a ball controll offense until the coaches feel that Leinart can do the job. Any smart coach with an unproven qb will have a run the ball first philosphy. They are going to want Leinart to build his confidence and not put too much pressure on him. That will give the Cardinals the chance of winning imo. Again do not turn the ball over.

Defense, it is simple tackle & get more turnovers. I don't know if it was the players trying to get use to a new defensive cordinator or what. They were not tackling & were not getting the turnovers that were on the superbowl run.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Defense, it is simple tackle & get more turnovers. I don't know if it was the players trying to get use to a new defensive cordinator or what. They were not tackling & were not getting the turnovers that were on the superbowl run.

Tackling, probably, but as for Turnovers we created 30 in 08, and 29 in 09.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Tackling, probably, but as for Turnovers we created 30 in 08, and 29 in 09.

Tackling, especially by the secondary, has been a problem for years. It just kills me to watch our guys whiff while other team's DBs make solid, physical, tackles.

Well except for Green Bay in our playoff game where their players were more interested in trying to cause fumbles than tackling the ball carrier.

I think I dubbed the Cards D the Matador Squad 3-4 years ago and it still applies. I had hoped that McFadden's signing would help change that but it didn't happen.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Another area that it seems the team is intent on fixing is the return game.

Roberts, Miller, Calvin, and an undrafted free agent or two that we have brought in all have return experience. It's highly likely that among all of the experience return men we've brought in, that one will pan out.

It's the new "in" thing in the NFL to have topflight returners, and it looks like the Cardinals are trying to jump on the bandwagon. Too bad none of these guys are likely to touch the Josh Cribbs area; that kid is special and I would trade a 2nd rounder for him in a heartbeat.

Roberts should win the punt return job, and from watching film, he should be an upgrade over Breaston.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I stand corrected.

I actually thought you were right, so I looked up the numbers to see just how bad we were in 09 compared to 08. I was surprised just like you.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually thought you were right, so I looked up the numbers to see just how bad we were in 09 compared to 08. I was surprised just like you.

Here is a stat that will clarify last season & point out the main problem for the Cardinals.

The Cardinals fumble the ball 32 times last season & lost 18 fumbles.
The Cardinals threw 18 interceptions last season.

As Joe pointed out the Cardinals created 29 turnovers last season. Leaving a -7 on the turnover ratio.

I knew the Cardinals had problems hanging onto the ball, but I didn't know it was that bad. WOW!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is a stat that will clarify last season & point out the main problem for the Cardinals.

The Cardinals fumble the ball 32 times last season & lost 18 fumbles.
The Cardinals threw 18 interceptions last season.

As Joe pointed out the Cardinals created 29 turnovers last season. Leaving a -7 on the turnover ratio.

I knew the Cardinals had problems hanging onto the ball, but I didn't know it was that bad. WOW!

13 of those Cardinal turnovers came in just two games. Carolina and SFII.

Warner had 14 picks last regular season, 9 of them in just 3 games, the two above and SFI. So Warner only threw 5 INTs in the other 12 games. 5 picks in 394 pass attempts.

Lots of strange things happen in the NFL.