Question for out of state fans

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Mainly the ones in Nevada/NM/Utah.

What is the majority of the fan base where you live and how is the Cardinals support? Thanks in advance for this info, I am curious how the Red Bird support has changed in recent years.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I live in Austin, TX and I don't see too many AZ fans (other than people I knew before I moved that have since moved to Austin). Majority of fans are Cowboy fans, some Texans.

Speaking of fans in Austin, I remember a couple of years ago a few on this board had discussed meeting up to watch some games. Could this be the year?

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still a whole bunch of Cardinals fans in STL area.

OP
OP
Tyler

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Austin, I am not suprised at all by the lack of Cardinals fans 2 hours from Dallas.

Czar, I am also not suprised byb the amount of fans in Missouri, as visible on this and other message boards. I am glad that the folks like you stuck around to give us folks that werent there back in the mid 80's and before a firsthand look into the Cardinals historic past.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
There are a couple out here that I know of. One thing I've noticed is now when I wear my Cards stuff out in public people say "oh, bandwagon fan". Man that pisses me off. Especially since I've been wearing it out in public for years and most people would always assume I was a baseball fan...

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
In NM it is all Cowpukes and Broncos. After those two I'd say it's Raiders. I see Cards gear maybe once a month, but it seems like there are more of us around now.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Even in Tucson, you'll see a lot of Cowboys and Steelers fans and only a few Cards fans. In fact, I get made fun of for wearing Cardinals stuff much more often than I hear support.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've heard the phrase, "Wow, I've never met a Cardinal fan before" more than a few times. I also don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing Cardinals' gear around town. Nothing's changed.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got myself, Jeff, LVG & last I knew Redforceone who all live in Vegas and are pretty diehard. I know we have 1 or 2 in Reno as well. Just can't remember who.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I live in los angeles county and have never met another cardinal fan in the over ten years I have lived here.

Indiana Hoosier

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Indiana, as you would expect, 95% Colts, the other 5% Bears or Bengals. I have been to St. Louis to see Cardinal Baseball games many times and the other poster is correct. St. Louis still has a lot of Football Cardinal fans left, even thru out the state of Missouri.

Dimicron

Rookie
Reaction score
I've heard the phrase, "Wow, I've never met a Cardinal fan before" more than a few times. I also don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing Cardinals' gear around town. Nothing's changed.

I hear that often myself. Occasionally near a military base I may run in to a fellow Card fan, but that's it.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I live in Austin, TX and I don't see too many AZ fans (other than people I knew before I moved that have since moved to Austin). Majority of fans are Cowboy fans, some Texans.

Speaking of fans in Austin, I remember a couple of years ago a few on this board had discussed meeting up to watch some games. Could this be the year?

Its always a possibility. I know for sure there is 5 of us that post here from Texas, all on the I-35 corridor. Dallas, Temple, Austin, San Antonio

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I live in Westchester County, which is directly north of NYC. I was walking one of my grand-daughters to school (Rye, NY), wearing my Cardinal hat, when a young mother came up to me and said, "They're my team, too". On the other side of the spectrum, I'll be traveling up to Darien, CT, this moring, to meet a friend for breakfast. It's at a Bagel Shop, owned by a Steeler fan, complete with a Jerome Bettis jersey hanging on the wall. Before last year's Super Bowl, he kiddingly said that he shouldn't serve me. Also, saw a young women in church with a Cardinal jersey on. But there aren't many of us. A LOT more baseball Cardinal fans.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I personally know we have 4 Big Red fans in Big D

I know 5 more Cardinal fans in Austin. Everybody in my family. :D

Used to go to a local sports bar to watch games and the only Cards fans there would be me, my wife, and Gene Stalling's daughter and her fiance.

Jetstream Green is in San Antonio I think.

See a little more Cards support than before but not too much. At least now people don't feel sorry for us at the sports bars.

Just to move off topic a little: How many people called, emailed, or sent you a text when the Cards beat the Eagles for the NFC Championship?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Its always a possibility. I know for sure there is 5 of us that post here from Texas, all on the I-35 corridor. Dallas, Temple, Austin, San Antonio

Hey Hookem, as you know we have all the same favorite teams in each sport. How about that run from 2005?

Longhorns: BCS Champions 2005
St.Louis Cards: 2006 World Series Champions
Spurs: 2007 NBA Champions
Arizona Cards: 2008 NFC Champions
Arizona and St. Louis Cardinals: 2009 Division titles

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here in Pa. there are probably more than we realize. For example the Dad of one of the girls I coach is a Cardinal fan. I also ran across one at Costco. In such a big Steeler/Eagle area to randomly meet 2 others I think says a lot.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cowboy country...yuck

Duckjake, you forgot to mention me? And we're playing golf together later today...alright you have to bring the flask!

Moved to Texas last year (1 hour outside Austin), no surprise Cowboy fans everywhere.

Guess what? Actual Cowboy fans (not the gangsta wannabe bandwagoners you find scattered like trash throughout the U.S. of which there is an unusually large deposit in AZ) are decent folks, still hate on them though:D

So far seeing Cowboy jerseys and paraphernalia everywhere is the only thing I don't like about Texas, had to expect that though...

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Albq not many at all. At least the assistand golf pro at my club is a Card fan. He got me Red Bird head cover for my driver so everyone knows I'm a fan.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a handful or two of us in NJ - Many South Jersey's fans (in Eagles Country) apparently continued to root for Buddy Ryan when he moved to the desert and then stuck with us.

The North Jersey contingent is pretty much like many other states - when you run into another fellow Cardinal fan, it's like a pretty big deal. (The guy behind the fish counter at my local A & P, for example - he saw my Cardinal bb cap and pulled his Cardinal cap from below the counter. Fist bumps all around).

Emerging trends: (1) The Cards seem to be less ignored and more respected by Giants and Jets fans these days and (2) are more frequently their "next favorite team. (3) A couple of times recently, I've run into mothers whose daughters have made the Cardinals their favorite team

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
There's a handful or two of us in NJ - Many South Jersey's fans (in Eagles Country) apparently continued to root for Buddy Ryan when he moved to the desert and then stuck with us.
The North Jersey contingent is pretty much like many other states - when you run into another fellow Cardinal fan, it's like a pretty big deal. (The guy behind the fish counter at my local A & P, for example - he saw my Cardinal bb cap and pulled his Cardinal cap from below the counter. Fist bumps all around).

Emerging trends: (1) The Cards seem to be less ignored and more respected by Giants and Jets fans these days and (2) are more frequently their "next favorite team. (3) A couple of times recently, I've run into mothers whose daughters have made the Cardinals their favorite team

Thanks for summing that up for me J.G.

I am in the boat Mr. Gollin describes above, and then I would say I became 100% die-hard in college with the Jake Plummer era, then wondered what in the heck I got into during the Jeff Blake/Josh McCown/John Navarre era and after getting toughened up, and learned about the "old Cardinals culture" I have been rewarded by watching Whiz and Co. turn this things around.