Rating the Night 2 Linebackers

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I spent the last few hours watching youtube highlight/lowlight tapes of these linebackers...had done so before but not all in one sitting, and here are some of my observations:

Outside Linebackers

1. Ricky Sapp, Clemson. Lightning quick off the snap. Turns the corner to the QB with a tremendous burst. Can redirect well. Tough and nasty. Needs to meet and shed blocks faster. Would have to learn coverage responsibilities, but is more than athletic enough.

2. Greg Hardy, Mississippi. If it weren't for his injuries (foot and wrist) he's a first round prospect. Has ideal size and burst. Plays a relentless style, especially when pass rushing. Has a knack for being around the ball. Loves to hammer at the ball when he gets a chance. Needs better discipline.

3. Eric Norwood, South Carolina. Not as tall and quick as Sapp and Hardy, is more compact, yet he gains outside leverege quickly and once he does he converges on the QB extremely well. Is pretty decent in coverage. Solid in run defense, but could be more physical, and could get his pad level lower to take advantage of his lack of premium height.

4. Arthur Moats, James Madison. Small, but underneath you and beats you left and right. lacks refinement in other aspects of his game, but is a pure pass rusher.

5. Jermaine Cunningham, Florida & Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio St. Very similar players...both are out-hustlers who are somewhat slow getting off the ball, but once they read the play they never stop hustling to get to the ball.

WILB:

1. Daryl Washinton, TCU. Looks taller than he is because he tends to play straight up. This is great for chasing, but not great for stepping up to make tackles, as it forces him to dive...which can be hit or miss...he'll nail you ebery time on the chase but will nick you on straight ahead runs. Looks tall and athletic in coverage...but he tends to focus so much on the ball that he loses the man in his area. That can be fixed. The good news is he wants to see the ball and he has the speed to cover. But, sideline to sideline he is an excellent chaser and finisher. Pretty sudden blitzer as well.

2. Rennie Curran, Georgia. Toughest, most hard-nosed seek and destroy ILB of the group. Lacks ideal height...but it works to his advantage in terms of pad level and being ready to tackle at all times. He doesn't have to dip like Washington does. Most physcial of any of the LBers. Does not back down to anyone. Takes on blocks early and well, Doesn't give plays time to develop. Very fast to react. Built like a rock and still has good agility and range. Doesn't cover sideline to sideline as fast as Washington, but Washington played as a true MLB and Curran played as a 3-4 WILB, so he had farther to go on plays away from him.

3. Navorro Bowman, Penn. St. What I love about this kid is not only the great passion and heart he puts into his game, but he tackles you and the knees and takes you out. His pad level on tackles is textbook. He's a great chaser---when he gets you in his sights he takes you out with a flash. He's pretty solid in coverage. Needs some work there. I love too that he sacrifices himself in taking on blockers. He's been extremely well coached.

4. Sean Lee, Penn. St. Has come back from his knee injuries well and is a very resilient kid. He's the type of player who thrives on being in the right place at the right time and knowing exactly what to do when he gets there. He's not overly quick or strong...just plain tough and smart. Has good coverage skills, plays the nagles very well. Like Bowman, very well coached.

5, Donald Butler, Washington. Saw his combine interview. Smart, well spoken. Did 35 reps at 225 at the combine, has a chiseled frame. Runs well. Very alert player. Saw his game versus USC where he was NCAA Defensive Player of the Week. Filled the holes quickly, forced a couple of fumbles and made a perfectly timed interception over the middle. Looks the part in every way.

6. Jamar Chaney, Mississippi St. Sneaky quick and tough. he plays like a thief in the night. You don't see him one minute and then bam he's on the scene finishing the play. Has good instincts. tends tp play a little too far back and doesn't react as quickly as he could. But he loves to hit when he gets the chance and is a reliable tackler. Good in zone coverage...not as good in man.

7. Pat Angerer and A.J. Edds, Iowa. Talk about well coached, especially in pass coverage. These guys are uncanny at snifting out routes...Angerer in the middle of the field and Edds on the outside. They are interceptions waiting to happen. They are tough kinds but not especially fundamental tacklers head on. They both tend to tackle high...which they got away with at times in colege, but will not be able to in the NFL. In fact, Angerer has no bend in his game. He plays straight up and tackles straight up. Edds isn't especially quick or stout, but he gets the job done. He looks like Mike Vrable a little. And when he intercepts a ball he runs like a TE...in fact, it wouldn't srpruise me if he's used in that cameo goal-line TE role the way Belichick did with Vrable.

SILB:

1. Brandon Spikes. Forget about his clockwatch speed, this guy reacts quickly, gets to the ball in a hurry and dishes out big hits. Likes to celebrate every tackle, a la ray Lewis...who is probably his idol. Not only is he a take you on type hitter, his coverage skills are excellent.

I have a feeling that one or two of these young men will be Cardinals. Hope these notes have been helpful. Please add your own.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Jamar Chaney, Mississippi St. Sneaky quick and tough. he plays like a thief in the night. Holy smokes Mitch, the way you describe each of the players above, we can't go wrong no matter who we pick. I wish we could draft every one of them. :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Jamar Chaney, Mississippi St. Sneaky quick and tough. he plays like a thief in the night. Holy smokes Mitch, the way you describe each of the players above, we can't go wrong no matter who we pick. I wish we could draft every one of them. :)

This is why Whiz and RG said the draft was deep at need positions, Ron.

If it were up to me, I'd take Spikes at #58 and Curran at #88...if the board works that way.

The thing I like about those two, they would put a thumping on Frank Gore and Stephen Jackson and not back down to anyone.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, I don't know where you find the time to do these in-depth articles, but I really do appreciate your efforts. Thanks for making me a much more informed casual football fan.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I spent the last few hours watching youtube highlight/lowlight tapes of these linebackers...had done so before but not all in one sitting, and here are some of my observations:

Outside Linebackers

1. Ricky Sapp, Clemson. Lightning quick off the snap. Turns the corner to the QB with a tremendous burst. Can redirect well. Tough and nasty. Needs to meet and shed blocks faster. Would have to learn coverage responsibilities, but is more than athletic enough.

2. Greg Hardy, Mississippi. If it weren't for his injuries (foot and wrist) he's a first round prospect. Has ideal size and burst. Plays a relentless style, especially when pass rushing. Has a knack for being around the ball. Loves to hammer at the ball when he gets a chance. Needs better discipline.

3. Eric Norwood, South Carolina. Not as tall and quick as Sapp and Hardy, is more compact, yet he gains outside leverege quickly and once he does he converges on the QB extremely well. Is pretty decent in coverage. Solid in run defense, but could be more physical, and could get his pad level lower to take advantage of his lack of premium height.

4. Arthur Moats, James Madison. Small, but underneath you and beats you left and right. lacks refinement in other aspects of his game, but is a pure pass rusher.

5. Jermaine Cunningham, Florida & Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio St. Very similar players...both are out-hustlers who are somewhat slow getting off the ball, but once they read the play they never stop hustling to get to the ball.

WILB:

1. Daryl Washinton, TCU. Looks taller than he is because he tends to play straight up. This is great for chasing, but not great for stepping up to make tackles, as it forces him to dive...which can be hit or miss...he'll nail you ebery time on the chase but will nick you on straight ahead runs. Looks tall and athletic in coverage...but he tends to focus so much on the ball that he loses the man in his area. That can be fixed. The good news is he wants to see the ball and he has the speed to cover. But, sideline to sideline he is an excellent chaser and finisher. Pretty sudden blitzer as well.

2. Rennie Curran, Georgia. Toughest, most hard-nosed seek and destroy ILB of the group. Lacks ideal height...but it works to his advantage in terms of pad level and being ready to tackle at all times. He doesn't have to dip like Washington does. Most physcial of any of the LBers. Does not back down to anyone. Takes on blocks early and well, Doesn't give plays time to develop. Very fast to react. Built like a rock and still has good agility and range. Doesn't cover sideline to sideline as fast as Washington, but Washington played as a true MLB and Curran played as a 3-4 WILB, so he had farther to go on plays away from him.

3. Navorro Bowman, Penn. St. What I love about this kid is not only the great passion and heart he puts into his game, but he tackles you and the knees and takes you out. His pad level on tackles is textbook. He's a great chaser---when he gets you in his sights he takes you out with a flash. He's pretty solid in coverage. Needs some work there. I love too that he sacrifices himself in taking on blockers. He's been extremely well coached.

4. Sean Lee, Penn. St. Has come back from his knee injuries well and is a very resilient kid. He's the type of player who thrives on being in the right place at the right time and knowing exactly what to do when he gets there. He's not overly quick or strong...just plain tough and smart. Has good coverage skills, plays the nagles very well. Like Bowman, very well coached.

5, Donald Butler, Washington. Saw his combine interview. Smart, well spoken. Did 35 reps at 225 at the combine, has a chiseled frame. Runs well. Very alert player. Saw his game versus USC where he was NCAA Defensive Player of the Week. Filled the holes quickly, forced a couple of fumbles and made a perfectly timed interception over the middle. Looks the part in every way.

6. Jamar Chaney, Mississippi St. Sneaky quick and tough. he plays like a thief in the night. You don't see him one minute and then bam he's on the scene finishing the play. Has good instincts. tends tp play a little too far back and doesn't react as quickly as he could. But he loves to hit when he gets the chance and is a reliable tackler. Good in zone coverage...not as good in man.

7. Pat Angerer and A.J. Edds, Iowa. Talk about well coached, especially in pass coverage. These guys are uncanny at snifting out routes...Angerer in the middle of the field and Edds on the outside. They are interceptions waiting to happen. They are tough kinds but not especially fundamental tacklers head on. They both tend to tackle high...which they got away with at times in colege, but will not be able to in the NFL. In fact, Angerer has no bend in his game. He plays straight up and tackles straight up. Edds isn't especially quick or stout, but he gets the job done. He looks like Mike Vrable a little. And when he intercepts a ball he runs like a TE...in fact, it wouldn't srpruise me if he's used in that cameo goal-line TE role the way Belichick did with Vrable.

SILB:

1. Brandon Spikes. Forget about his clockwatch speed, this guy reacts quickly, gets to the ball in a hurry and dishes out big hits. Likes to celebrate every tackle, a la ray Lewis...who is probably his idol. Not only is he a take you on type hitter, his coverage skills are excellent.

I have a feeling that one or two of these young men will be Cardinals. Hope these notes have been helpful. Please add your own.

Bold faced the ones I like....with this order:

1. Brandon Spikes
2. Eric Norwood
3. Darryl Washington
4. Ricky Sapp
5. Navarro Bowman
6. Sean Lee

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Where is Kindle? :sad: I think he might drop to us. With the microfracture surgery rumor going around about him I think he would be a good fit here. With the people we have at OLB now there wouldn't be much pressure to rush him on the field.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I don't know where you find the time to do these in-depth articles, but I really do appreciate your efforts. Thanks for making me a much more informed casual football fan.

Actually, 40year, I have this week off...April Vacation at school, so what else am I going to do, chase the squirrels out of the birdfeeder?:D

Thanks, pal. Let me know your thoughts after the picks.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Where is Kindle? :sad: I think might drop to us. With the microfracture surgery rumor going around about him I think he would be a good fit here. With the people we have at OLB now there wouldn't be much pressure to rush him on the field.

Sorry, Goober, I should have incuded him, but realistically I figured we have no shot at him.

I'll tell you this, I would have no problem with the Cardinals offering next year's #1 to get Kindle. He's the quickest LB in this draft.

Where there's Kindle, there's fire!:)

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
Mitch, where is Misi. I like hi in the 2nd round and play inside; where his speed and quickness can be an advantage. Excellent blitzer from the middle.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Sorry, Goober, I should have incuded him, but realistically I figured we have no shot at him.

I'll tell you this, I would have no problem with the Cardinals offering next year's #1 to get Kindle. He's the quickest LB in this draft.

Where there's Kindle, there's fire!:)

I wouldn't give up next years 1st rounder to trade up into the 2nd round. I would offer a 3rd and a 4th round pick.

The reason I say we should give up a 1st round pick is because it might be a high draft pick depending on how Leinart turns out this season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
This is why Whiz and RG said the draft was deep at need positions, Ron.

If it were up to me, I'd take Spikes at #58 .

I've been on the Spikes bandwagon for awhile. The guy plays better than his 40's & probably would have been taken in the top 20 before the combine & eye-gauging incident. Spikes can play the pass, rush the QB & plays with a nasty tempermant. Bottom line he's a football player!!!

I'm hoping he's there Mitch. Teams like the Gmen & Iggles scare me picking before us. Both teams are retooling the defenses & didnt add a LB in Rd 1. With that said, since I want him he will surely be gone.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, where is Misi. I like hi in the 2nd round and play inside; where his speed and quickness can be an advantage. Excellent blitzer from the middle.

Sorry PaulW, great call. Hey, how deep is this pool?

I love Misi and love his versatility. I think he can play inside and at SOLB...I describe him as a Tasmanian Devil on the field. He's all over the place making plays. Very good athlete and competitor. If he's one of the picks, I will be elated.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I've been on the Spikes bandwagon for awhile. The guy plays better than his 40's & probably would have been taken in the top 20 before the combine & eye-gauging incident. Spikes can play the pass, rush the QB & plays with a nasty tempermant. Bottom line he's a football player!!!

I'm hoping he's there Mitch. Teams like the Gmen & Iggles scare me picking before us. Both teams are retooling the defenses & didnt add a LB in Rd 1. With that said, since I want him he will surely be gone.

I agree Bucky...but i think there's a chance...but I fear the 49ers will take him. He's a Mike Singletary type player.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree Bucky...but i think there's a chance...but I fear the 49ers will take him. He's a Mike Singletary type player.

dont scare me like that, their defense would be that much nastier

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Spikes maybe even in the 2nd as he might not last to the third. Mitch, what is your take on OLB Thaddeus Gibson from Ohio State? He didn't make your list but some have him as a 3rd round pick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I like Spikes maybe even in the 2nd as he might not last to the third. Mitch, what is your take on OLB Thaddeus Gibson from Ohio State? He didn't make your list but some have him as a 3rd round pick.

I have him in the list with Cunnigham, az jam. He's an all-out hustler who never quits on a play, but his first step is not very quick and he's kind of a read and react player...kind of loose jointed as well. He really didn't win me over watching his tapes. Very good competitor but doesn't look like an NFL starter to me. But, he's young and with good coaching, he might prove otherwise.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great write-up, Mitch. Thanks for taking the time. If Williams does his job it allows Washington to use his athleticism and range to make plays. Would love to land Norwood or Sapp in the 4th, but I don't expect us to take them.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great write-up, Mitch. Thanks for taking the time. If Williams does his job it allows Washington to use his athleticism and range to make plays. Would love to land Norwood or Sapp in the 4th, but I don't expect us to take them.

Thanks, Binkar. Yeah, what's up with Sapp? Hard to believe he's still available. The Cardinals had him in for a visit, so they must have a good sense of what's going on. I like Norwood too...I think he can develop into a Steeler-like OLB/DE.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Thanks, Binkar. Yeah, what's up with Sapp? Hard to believe he's still available. The Cardinals had him in for a visit, so they must have a good sense of what's going on. I like Norwood too...I think he can develop into a Steeler-like OLB/DE.
My guess is that his medical concerns are larger than most originally thought.