Levi Brown just confirmed!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm hopeful he can make the switch and be an upgrade, but I'm pretty skeptical actually. He's been in the league 3 years now, and still hasn't been able to claim the starting job at his "natural" position and thats competing aginst Gandy primarily. Don't get me wrong, Gandy played well enough, but really he shouldn't have been able to hold off the number 5 pick in the draft for 3 straight years. Brown appears to lack the quickness and feet to go up against the speed rushers he'll see week in and week out at LT. I really think they should put him at LG and draft a LT fairly early.

The line I'd love to see in training camp/preseason is LT Draft pick (Veldheer, or Fox), Brown, Hadnot, Lutui, Johnson.

At NO POINT was Levi competing with Gandy for the LT position. From day one, he was projected as the RT to protect Leinart's blind side. He's considerably more talented than Gandy, and if he wasn't - the team could have easily re-signed Gandy who is still looking for a job.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
At NO POINT was Levi competing with Gandy for the LT position. From day one, he was projected as the RT to protect Leinart's blind side. He's considerably more talented than Gandy, and if he wasn't - the team could have easily re-signed Gandy who is still looking for a job.

Warner has been the QB for the last 2 years, his blindside would be the LT position. My guess is the coaches would want the best LT on Warner's blindside, and apparently that has been Gandy.

I'll give you that he was put on the right side his rookie year to "cut his teeth" so to speak, but him not being able to wrestle the position away from Gandy the next 2 years is troublesome IMHO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warner has been the QB for the last 2 years, his blindside would be the LT position. My guess is the coaches would want the best LT on Warner's blindside, and apparently that has been Gandy.

I'll give you that he was put on the right side his rookie year to "cut his teeth" so to speak, but him not being able to wrestle the position away from Gandy the next 2 years is troublesome IMHO.

When was it ever a consideration to move Levi over to LT to cover Warner's blindside? I don't ever recall that suggestion, or even trying it out in camp.

The team was content with Gandy over there during Warner's flourishing last two years and saw no reason for change. We can't say that he couldn't "wrestle" the LT job away from Gandy because, to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a consideration.

It now makes sense to move Levi over to his natural position, particularly in a more balanced offence, and I mildly suspect that we will be generally pleased.

Last edited:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
When was it ever a consideration to move Levi over to LT to cover Warner's blindside? I don't ever recall that suggestion, or even trying it out in camp.

The team was content with Gandy over there during Warner's flourishing last two years and saw no reason for change. We can't say that he couldn't "wrestle" the LT job away from Gandy because, to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a consideration.

It now makes sense to move Levi over to his natural position, particularly in a more balanced offence, and I mildly suspect that we will be generally pleased.

Ok, so my question remains. Why was the number 5 pick in the draft 3 years ago, never considered for his "natural" position, especially since it would have been Warner's blindside?

Look I hope your right, and that he flourishes there, i'm just not expecting it.

Early

Registered
Reaction score

It wasn't even considered, simply because Levi isn't better at pass protection than Gandy. And the best passrushers are on Gandy's side. It would be stupid thing to do, when we pass so much as we do, to move the better pass protector to the right side. No team does that. And we don't either. Therefore, it wasn't even considered. If it was an advantage, it would have been done.

Gandy's health is the reason we haven't signed him. In the end he showed that age and health was not the best, and that's the reason not to sign him. If he was healthy enough, he would have been signed and Levi would be just where he was so far, that is on RT spot. Gandy's career is over, he was not playing the football in the end of last season as he had used to do previously.

So that leaves us with Levi and two "rookies"... Well he has an advantage over them to meet the best passrushers. But that doesnt make him a Joe Thomas.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok, so my question remains. Why was the number 5 pick in the draft 3 years ago, never considered for his "natural" position, especially since it would have been Warner's blindside?

Look I hope your right, and that he flourishes there, i'm just not expecting it.

As the question did not arise, I don't know why it remains.

Gandy was hired to play LT and Levi was drafted to play RT.

When he was drafted at no. 5 there was no thought at the time of moving him to LT.

It was not a transition position.

Grimm obviously believed that Gandy to the left, Levi to right was the best use of their individual talents when putting his best 5 on the field.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It wasn't even considered, simply because Levi isn't better at pass protection than Gandy. And the best passrushers are on Gandy's side. It would be stupid thing to do, when we pass so much as we do, to move the better pass protector to the right side. No team does that. And we don't either. Therefore, it wasn't even considered. If it was an advantage, it would have been done.

Gandy's health is the reason we haven't signed him. In the end he showed that age and health was not the best, and that's the reason not to sign him. If he was healthy enough, he would have been signed and Levi would be just where he was so far, that is on RT spot. Gandy's career is over, he was not playing the football in the end of last season as he had used to do previously.

So that leaves us with Levi and two "rookies"... Well he has an advantage over them to meet the best passrushers. But that doesnt make him a Joe Thomas.

Nice post.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Early, neither Herman Johnson nor Brandon Keith are rookies, so you are mistaken. We also have Bridges on the roster.

That is why i put those signs arround the word..."rookies"... They are not rookies literally, but kind of, because they have basically no experience. The only reason Levi is going to play at LT is because he is up against two guys that have never played a down in a regular season game. So yes, it's not much different.

As for Bridges, he sucks. I'm sure we prefer both House and Keith over him, despite his experience in NFL.

Levi is a decent lineman, he has a tough job, because we pass so much. But he is not a great lineman at all, not even close. And defenitely not paying back what we invested.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is why i put those signs arround the word..."rookies"... They are not rookies literally, but kind of, because they have basically no experience. The only reason Levi is going to play at LT is because he is up against two guys that have never played a down in a regular season game. So yes, it's not much different.

As for Bridges, he sucks. I'm sure we prefer both House and Keith over him, despite his experience in NFL.

Levi is a decent lineman, he has a tough job, because we pass so much. But he is not a great lineman at all, not even close. And defenitely not paying back what we invested.

There may be another reason. He's simply a more talented lineman.

BIM: Definitely

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
As the question did not arise, I don't know why it remains.

Gandy was hired to play LT and Levi was drafted to play RT.

When he was drafted at no. 5 there was no thought at the time of moving him to LT.

It was not a transition position.

Grimm obviously believed that Gandy to the left, Levi to right was the best use of their individual talents when putting his best 5 on the field.

Gandy struggled for must of his career, most of that at guard. Your going to tell me that we signed him to blindly be the LT for years, all the while drafting a college LT with the plans to move him to RT for his career.

I think it would be more logical to assume that Gandy was brought in to hold the LT position until Brown was ready to take over. Only problem was he never was able to take over.

I agree that Grimm believed having Gandy on the left and Brown on the right was the best plan, because Brown has struggled against secondary passrushers, and him going against primary speed rushers would be scary.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I gotch. I thought you were making the argument that we didn't have anything else on the roster at OT that would make it through camp, or some such.

I wouldn't say Bridges sucks. He is a very serviceable and versatile backup. Now, if he's starting for us from day one, then we're in trouble, but I like him as a backup. For my money, I see Herman playing a swingman backup role with Keith at RT and Brown at LT. Sendlein will be at C, and I think Hadnot and Lutui will be at OG. With Wells, Hadnot, Bridges, and Herman all able to play multiple positions, or at least having training at multiple positions, our line isn't in bad shape. I think we should add some later prospects from the draft to the mix, and we'll be ready to roll.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gandy struggled for must of his career, most of that at guard. Your going to tell me that we signed him to blindly be the LT for years, all the while drafting a college LT with the plans to move him to RT for his career.

I think it would be more logical to assume that Gandy was brought in to hold the LT position until Brown was ready to take over. Only problem was he never was able to take over.

I agree that Grimm believed having Gandy on the left and Brown on the right was the best plan, because Brown has struggled against secondary passrushers, and him going against primary speed rushers would be scary.

Again, you pursue the premise that Levi was drafted initially to play, or eventually play, left tackle. He wasn't. And, yes - Gandy, who had some experience at tackle, was signed to see if he could fill the role at LT.

It now makes sense for the team to move Levi over to the left. I, for one, am not scared by the prospect. He's returning to a more natural position, and most important, we plan to run a more balanced offence that takes advantage of his run blocking talents.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, you pursue the premise that Levi was drafted initially to play, or eventually play, left tackle. He wasn't. And, yes - Gandy, who had some experience at tackle, was signed to see if he could fill the role at LT.

Can't agree that the Cards spent the 5th overall pick on a RT, at least I HOPE not. Circumstances (Ross injury) rushed Levi into the starting lineup at RT. I believe the Cards liked Levi's run blocking ability at RT more then Gandy's and that he would be exposed less at RT for his lack of pass blocking skills. Due to the lack of progress by Levi in year one and to establish some cohesiveness along the line Levi wasn't moved the next year either.

It now makes sense for the team to move Levi over to the left. I, for one, am not scared by the prospect. He's returning to a more natural position, and most important, we plan to run a more balanced offence that takes advantage of his run blocking talents.

Totally agree with this part.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Totally agree with this part.

People seem to be forgetting that Levi was drafted with Leinart era in mind. He was a guy they thought could transition to the blindside coverage for Matt.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People seem to be forgetting that Levi was drafted with Leinart era in mind. He was a guy they thought could transition to the blindside coverage for Matt.

Valid point.

This would indicate that they have a ton of faith in Keith to protect ML's blindside. I won't repeat your insight on why Levi is being moved.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Valid point.

This would indicate that they have a ton of faith in Keith to protect ML's blindside. I won't repeat your insight on why Levi is being moved.

I'm reminded that Ron Wolfley said, on first seeing Keith, that he looked like a first round talent. He dropped in the draft because some questioned his attitude after leaving one school for another. So... just maybe... he's a gem.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted him there the second after he was drafted...I hate when we draft players and move their position....IE Leonard Davis....he was a guard throughout and we moved him to tackle...went to Dallas and is an ALL PRO GUARD.
Levi was always a left tackle....we moved him to RT...hopefully he can regain his ability after 2 years away.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Leinart throws left handed...So in this case Levi will be the more run blocking tackle and they will find a better RT (which would be LT) in this case that can pass block better since that would be his blind side.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Leinart throws left handed...So in this case Levi will be the more run blocking tackle and they will find a better RT (which would be LT) in this case that can pass block better since that would be his blind side.

I think we've worked that out... ;)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wanted him there the second after he was drafted...I hate when we draft players and move their position....IE Leonard Davis....he was a guard throughout and we moved him to tackle...went to Dallas and is an ALL PRO GUARD.
Levi was always a left tackle....we moved him to RT...hopefully he can regain his ability after 2 years away.

Davis was a tackle at Texas.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Davis was a tackle at Texas.

Also for those who have forgotten Davis played RG his first season in Arizona, RT his second and RG again in 2003.

He was also a Defensive Tackle for awhile at Texas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave