Question about Cody

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The bench measures how much these guys bench.
Like the other events it's for comparison, but not to be taken as representative as their ability to push around another person.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bench measures how much these guys bench.
Like the other events it's for comparison, but not to be taken as representative as their ability to push around another person.

cosign.

It also can be an indicator on how much time they spend in the weight room and based on Cody's physique one could surmize this is an area of opportunity.

The other point is that people with longer arms won't bench as much as those with shorter arms. I didn't look up Cody's arm lenght but at 6' 4" I would guess they aren't short.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't look up Cody's arm lenght but at 6' 4" I would guess they aren't short.
Gerald McCoy (DT)
Arm Length:
33 3/4 in.

Ndamukong Suh (DT)
Arm Length:
33 1/2 in.

Dan Williams (DT)
Arm Length:
33 1/2 in.

Terrence Cody (DT)
Arm Length:
34 1/4 in.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gerald McCoy (DT)
Arm Length:
33 3/4 in.

Ndamukong Suh (DT)
Arm Length:
33 1/2 in.

Dan Williams (DT)
Arm Length:
33 1/2 in.

Terrence Cody (DT)
Arm Length:
34 1/4 in.

Thanks SS. Longest arms of the group, another reason he will be a stud. :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And another reason he didn't put up a ton of reps in the bench press.

cosign.

It also can be an indicator on how much time they spend in the weight room and based on Cody's physique one could surmize this is an area of opportunity.

The other point is that people with longer arms won't bench as much as those with shorter arms. I didn't look up Cody's arm lenght but at 6' 4" I would guess they aren't short.

Glad we agree.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think so. Although Dan Williams struggled with bench press as did Gerald McCoy and neither one of them have seen their draft stock plummet.

I don't think his bench press is as much of an issue as his Vertical jump is. He posted only 20" at the combine. Compare that to Williams with a 32" vertical or McCoy with a 31" vertical. Cody's 20" vertical and 7'6" broad jump suggest a lack of explosion.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I don't think his bench press is as much of an issue as his Vertical jump is. He posted only 20" at the combine. Compare that to Williams with a 32" vertical or McCoy with a 31" vertical. Cody's 20" vertical and 7'6" broad jump suggest a lack of explosion.

So when was the last time you tried jumping while weighing 350lbs?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when was the last time you tried jumping while weighing 350lbs?

I'm at 190 and probably couldn't clear 20". Then again I'm a tall skinny white guy.

All of the other big NT cleared 30". Suh hit 35". That's a huge difference.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I'm at 190 and probably couldn't clear 20". Then again I'm a tall skinny white guy.

All of the other big NT cleared 30". Suh hit 35". That's a huge difference.

And Cody still out weighs them. Remember Cody used to weigh 385lbs. He played in the SEC at a very high level if it were the Big Ten then maybe that would be different where it is a more run heavy conference with larger OL... As for his explosion he blocked a couple FGs...Went in at FB a few times and blew up the other teams DL. I could care less about in shorts explosion what I care about is in pads explosion...When in doubt go to the film. If you want to draft players by great combine numbers you can look at the Raiders and see how they did with that.

There is no doubt that Suh and McCoy are great players but that doesn't mean you should less the value of Codys because he is a different type of player. Suh is a 4-3 one gap DT or a 3-4 DE...McCoy is the same. Cody is a clog up the middle NT who you don't expect to get many tackles or sacks from. He is there to take up blockers so LBers can make the play. If you want to put pressure on the QB up the middle put Dockett at NT on passing downs like we have been doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwPPSXMy2E&feature=related

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And it continues. Player X played awesome in real games, while player Y was average to below average in games. Player Y did great at the combine and put up incredible numbers, while player X was kind of pedestrian at the combine. Suddenly, Player Y is shooting up the draft board, and everyone is starting to level criticism against Player X. Happens every year. It's absolutely ridiculous, but people will insist on getting carried away.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
And it continues. Player X played awesome in real games, while player Y was average to below average in games. Player Y did great at the combine and put up incredible numbers, while player X was kind of pedestrian at the combine. Suddenly, Player Y is shooting up the draft board, and everyone is starting to level criticism against Player X. Happens every year. It's absolutely ridiculous, but people will insist on getting carried away.

Cody was way bigger than whoever he went up against. That won't happen at the next level. There are questions about him. That's why he's not a sure fire 1st rounder. If he dominated games then he'd be top 15 like Suh or McCoy. But he isn't for a reason. Too one dimentional. You guys can sugar coat it if you want. I'm not buying into his skill set.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cody was way bigger than whoever he went up against. That won't happen at the next level. There are questions about him. That's why he's not a sure fire 1st rounder. If he dominated games then he'd be top 15 like Suh or McCoy. But he isn't for a reason. Too one dimentional. You guys can sugar coat it if you want. I'm not buying into his skill set.

Really? How many 340lbs centers are there in the NFL?

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am very ambivalent about the Cards drafting Cody. He kind of looks good on film but ask yourself these questions.

1. I saw him making tackles in the middle of the field on plays that were designed to go outside. The Alabama team flowed to the ball so well that Cody ended up making the tackle in the five hole. There did not seem to be any cutback lanes on the plays that I watched because with Cody's "great" speed he would get out to the offensive tackle position and clog the cut back lanes.

2. When he had all of the money riding on his performance why could he only do 22 bench press. You would think he would have been in the gym busting his butt. There are a lot of people that can not jump but lifting should not be considered a natural ability by the time you get as far along in your profession as the Combine.

3. Are you drafting the brightest light on the block? He did not go to Alabama straight out of hs. He came by way of juco. Were his grades bad enough in hs to keep him from direct entry into Alabama? This is important because it might reflect on his preparation habits and ability to learn plays.

4. You always hear how the defensive line and the silb were responsible for keeping Dansby clean so he could make the tackles. Well keep in mind that behind Cody resided the best college ILB last year. How much of Cody's success could be attributed to the presence of Orlando McClain?

Just some things to think about. I will say that he certainly looked like an immovable force in the middle.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How man even 300lbs centers are there even in the SEC?

The #1 rated Center in the draft did nothing against Cody (Pouncey who is 315)....not looking up every Center in the SEC but it is not like he played Sun Belt or CUSA football.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wish we could get him in the 2nd round, not sold on taking him over guys like Weatherspoon, Kindle, Hughes, Graham who could be there at #26 as well.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm not disputing that there are doubts about him, or saying your doubts don't mean anything here. Saying he didn't dominate games? You obviously didn't watch any of his games. Teams didn't run anywhere near him; he completely plugged the middle of the line. The top RB in the draft, CJ Spiller, said that they ran one running play into the middle and then, no matter what the call, he decided to bounce EVERY run play to the outside. That's coming from the top RB in the draft. Whatever other doubts you might have about him, Mount Cody absolutely dominated games.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that there are doubts about him, or saying your doubts don't mean anything here. Saying he didn't dominate games? You obviously didn't watch any of his games. Teams didn't run anywhere near him; he completely plugged the middle of the line. The top RB in the draft, CJ Spiller, said that they ran one running play into the middle and then, no matter what the call, he decided to bounce EVERY run play to the outside. That's coming from the top RB in the draft. Whatever other doubts you might have about him, Mount Cody absolutely dominated games.

How can you not have watched Bama last yr?! I'll agree he does what he does well. I wouldn't mind him. I think there will be various pluggers throughout this draft. Not from day 1, but they can grow into the role. Meanwhile Watson and Robinson could handle it and someone like Joseph, Troup or Thomas certainly would be vaible 2-3 rd. options.

I'd trade down and target one of either Washington, Cody or Brown (LT) early in round #2. This is an extremly deep draft for DL this yr. There will be solid good prospects through round 5-6 that can make dents into the NFL rosters.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as him being a 2 down player, it's a lot easier to get to the QB on 3rd and long than 3rd and short. With how much players are rotated in and out of the game plus all the various packages that defenses use I think the term "2 down player" is obsolete.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA