Jimmy Clausen workout

Early

Registered
Reaction score
According to Mayock, and everyone else i heard, it was a flawless workout. Outstanding mechanics and accuracy. He talked to alot of people at ND regarding his character and he believes he has matured alot the latest year and a half.

Golden Tate is raw in terms of route running, stiff hips according to Mayock, but is a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

They also talked how Clausen's workout was lightyears ahead of the one Quinn made earlier, it wasn't even comparable.

I hope we trade up to get this kid

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to Mayock, and everyone else i heard, it was a flawless workout. Outstanding mechanics and accuracy. He talked to alot of people at ND regarding his character and he believes he has matured alot the latest year and a half.

Golden Tate is raw in terms of route running, stiff hips according to Mayock, but is a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

They also talked how Clausen's workout was lightyears ahead of the one Quinn made earlier, it wasn't even comparable.

I hope we trade up to get this kid

Good news because that means he won't get past the Bills.

That's just crazy talk (again) Early. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a top 10 pick. He'll be better than Flacco and Sanchez.

OP
OP
Early

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Good news because that means he won't get past the Bills.

That's just crazy talk (again) Early. ;)

Crazy in trading up to get a real franchise QB? It's not impossible to trade up, I don't think it's crazy at all. In fact, I think there is a chance we do this.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy in trading up to get a real franchise QB? It's not impossible to trade up, I don't think it's crazy at all. In fact, I think there is a chance we do this.

We have our franchise QB, you just won't/can't see that.

ZERO chance we trade up for Pickle and I'm the one that keeps telling people never say never.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Here is how important pro days really are:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-03-15-russell-pro-day_N.htm
JaMarcus Russell's 'Best of All-time' Pro-Day

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-proday031605
Alex Smith's 'Paramount' Pro-Day

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2787845
Brady Quinn's 'Impressive' Pro-Day

http://texas.scout.com/2/512258.html
Vince Young's 'Impressive Accuracy' Pro-Day

Pro days are really useless. They are just a more scripted combine, which we all know is useless. Hell, if I had 3 months to prepare I bet I could go out and have an impressive pro day.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have our franchise QB, you just won't/can't see that.

ZERO chance we trade up for Pickle and I'm the one that keeps telling people never say never.

Yup.

You will catch me paying to put super-unleaded in a rental car before this happens.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wager against you too.

If I lose, I will send you around 10DVDs in the mail. If you lose, you have to send me Portillos. Deal? This is for the top 10 selection...

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Pro days are really useless. They are just a more scripted combine, which we all know is useless. Hell, if I had 3 months to prepare I bet I could go out and have an impressive pro day.

Agreed, pro days are useless. That said I think Clausen will be the best rookie QB this season and McCoy is the only one with the potential to ever be as good as Clausen will be. Bradford I see as too fragile and I just don't think Tebow will ever develop into an elite passer.

OP
OP
Early

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Here is how important pro days really are:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-03-15-russell-pro-day_N.htm
JaMarcus Russell's 'Best of All-time' Pro-Day

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-proday031605
Alex Smith's 'Paramount' Pro-Day

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2787845
Brady Quinn's 'Impressive' Pro-Day

http://texas.scout.com/2/512258.html
Vince Young's 'Impressive Accuracy' Pro-Day

Don't take it seriously what Kiffin said. That's why he is not part of the NFL any more. You can interpret a workout in million different ways as well.

Mayock's opinion is much more valid. He hated Russell as a prospect, and everything he said about him was dead on as we see years and years later. He is a good evaluator of QB position.

Everything is important. Workout shows how healthy you are in the moment, besides giving you impression of which throws you can make. If you can't make some throws, you can't make them in workouts, no matter how much you script the workout.

Obviously, his toe injury is gone, and he can step up even better into his throws on the left side. That's important news as well

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Don't take it seriously what Kiffin said. That's why he is not part of the NFL any more. You can interpret a workout in million different ways as well.

Mayock's opinion is much more valid. He hated Russell as a prospect, and everything he said about him was dead on as we see years and years later. He is a good evaluator of QB position.

Everything is important. Workout shows how healthy you are in the moment, besides giving you impression of which throws you can make. If you can't make some throws, you can't make them in workouts, no matter how much you script the workout.

Obviously, his toe injury is gone, and he can step up even better into his throws on the left side. That's important news as well

Mayock agreed that Russell's pro-day was the best ever. He may not have liked him as a prospect but said the pro-day was fantastic.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/mayock-jamarcus-russells-pro-day-a-cautionary-tale/

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
LOL! Claussen will be more Kelley Stouffer than Joe Flacco... I pray to God he never ends up in a Cardinal uniform...

OP
OP
Early

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Mayock agreed that Russell's pro-day was the best ever. He may not have liked him as a prospect but said the pro-day was fantastic.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/mayock-jamarcus-russells-pro-day-a-cautionary-tale/

He was refering to his physical ability, size and arm strength, all which make sense and I agree with, there has never been a QB with that size and arm. But he also pointed out how those things are redicilous compared to the passion of playing, accuracy, heart , leadership etc etc. He didn't like him at all as prospect, as well as any good QB evaluator, the guy is flat out horrible. When you lack that, you are not worth any pick.

Clausen has passion for the game, Mayock pointed that out as well today.

I like Clausen based on all the tape I have seen from him, so the workout changes nothing. However it shows that he is more healthy than on the tapes, his toe is fine now.

His remark on Golden Tate also fits well with gametape.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think the people bashing Claussen are way off base. I have questions about his make up, but if he truly has matured, his mechanics, accuracy, and touch are all A+.

I believe in Matt so I wouldn't think trading for Claussen is the best idea, but if he has matured, I have no doubt hes going to be a stud. I'm actually a little shocked he hasn't gotten more love then he has with his production and overall physical makeup.

I also love Locker and Matt Barkley so if I am going to trade up it will be in the next two years and after I have definitively come to the conclusion that Matt is not the answer.

Check this link out as well as the Walterfootball site and it might change your mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I heard about Clausen's good workout I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping he would drop to us and we could trade out of the spot to a team who wanted to move up to grab him.

However this might be a good thing. Perhaps this creates an early run on QBs which causes a better defensive player to drop to us.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I heard about Clausen's good workout I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping he would drop to us and we could trade out of the spot to a team who wanted to move up to grab him.

However this might be a good thing. Perhaps this creates an early run on QBs which causes a better defensive player to drop to us.

Kind of agree and disagree.

Disagree with trading out of that spot, It is not high-value enough to get a great return, and we need D-guys.

Agree that that is good news and that is one or more QB's that might be taken to let better players fall to us.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was thinking close to the same thing. Clausen goes top 10 so a blue chipper gets pushed down. This could create a domino effect that slides someone we want to us. It also could help create the need for McCoy and Tebow so the trade down isn't out of the question.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's not fully back from injury, and could not roll out or bootleg in his workout, reported on ESPN2.

If we needed a QB, sure, I'd go after him. We are clearly not entertaining a high draft pick at the QB position, so I think it's a moot point.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
So explain to me why would we need to draft a QB in the 1st round when we clearly have bigger needs on the team such as OT, NT, ILB, CB, and TE?

I swear this "Lets take this QB in the 1st" and this "We should trade this for this QB" talk is getting stupid.

I am not a Leinart fan or anything but damn guys let him get a chance. If he doesn't pan out well there is Jake Locker from Washington next year :)

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
He was refering to his physical ability, size and arm strength, all which make sense and I agree with, there has never been a QB with that size and arm. But he also pointed out how those things are redicilous compared to the passion of playing, accuracy, heart , leadership etc etc. He didn't like him at all as prospect, as well as any good QB evaluator, the guy is flat out horrible. When you lack that, you are not worth any pick.

Clausen has passion for the game, Mayock pointed that out as well today.

I like Clausen based on all the tape I have seen from him, so the workout changes nothing. However it shows that he is more healthy than on the tapes, his toe is fine now.

His remark on Golden Tate also fits well with gametape.

I don't know what you are arguing. Here is Mayock's direct quote:
"The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell"

It is well known that Russell had one of the best workouts of any player on a pro day. It isn't even debatable. To base the reason you are sold on a guy on a pro day is absolutely crazy. If you come out with a poor pro day then it would effect my judgement since you control absolutely everything. Every single person seems to have a fantastic pro day, you just can't take anything from it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wager against you too.

If I lose, I will send you around 10DVDs in the mail. If you lose, you have to send me Portillos. Deal? This is for the top 10 selection...
ya ya, I haven't seen any DVD's since the Borns.

NAh, he probably will be top ten. Won't play much or well next year, if at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose