Good Read.....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I assume this is legit, but you never know.....

http://football.realgm.com/src_twelfthwriter/60/20100402/interview_with_the_scout_part_ii/

There's another link at the bottom of this one from last fall as well, pretty interesting stuff.

That was a great read as was the bottom link. And validates alot of the things I was feeling about certain prospects.

Gotta love what they said about Gronko. "Faster Jeremy Shockey"....hes going to make some team VERY happy.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Hookem-----I almost felt like I was there listening in on the conversation. Great stuff-----especially now during the dead-time waiting for the draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The scout in the old article from the NFC South sounds like the same guy in the current article.That means he's a scout from NO because they are the ony NFC South team outside the top 20. Plus he said Tebow won't go later than 33. They draft 32. Who is Drew Brees's backup anyway?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scout in the old article from the NFC South sounds like the same guy in the current article.That means he's a scout from NO because they are the ony NFC South team outside the top 20. Plus he said Tebow won't go later than 33. They draft 32. Who is Drew Brees's backup anyway?
You may be on to something. He also mentions someone moving up to get McCoy with a wink and a smile.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Mark Brunell is right behind him, but Chase Daniel (Mizzou) is the developmental guy.

If he's really a scout, then he has little impact on the actual draft. Lombardi over at the national football post had some interesting thoughts on this a couple weeks ago.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Two things found interesting:

JR: Give me a couple of players that most people like me believe are first round picks that you think will slide.

Scout: Brian Price, the fat kid from UCLA. I’ll tell you what, Terrence Cody is in a lot better shape than that kid and he’s (Cody) comfortable with his size. Price will flash you the ability to get into the backfield, but watch him against good teams and he didn’t do sh**. I know a lot of people that think he’s going to be a big bust. Enough people that I think he’ll get humbled a little come draft day.

He indirectly compliments Cody there. It seems to me like just about every professional scout I've read has a better view of Cody than half of this board. Maybe he is in better shape than he looks?

JR: Colt McCoy?

Scout: I bet someone goes up and gets him in the 20s (overall). Could be us, you never know (laughs with a very wry smile)

I don't think this is the Saints scout. If McCoy is going in the 20s and he is hinting that his team wants him it implies his team is drafting in the 20s. Looking at the teams in the 20s, I wonder if maybe Dallas would take him? Romo hasn't gotten it done and McCoy is a local boy after all.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Mark Brunell is right behind him, but Chase Daniel (Mizzou) is the developmental guy.

If he's really a scout, then he has little impact on the actual draft. Lombardi over at the national football post had some interesting thoughts on this a couple weeks ago.

Brunell is a FA and is visiting the Jets. Just FYI

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He indirectly compliments Cody there.
I don't know that it's so much an "indirect" compliment as it is a "relative" compliment. He's comparing fat kids to fat kids, so really, there are no winners in that statement.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think this is the Saints scout. If McCoy is going in the 20s and he is hinting that his team wants him it implies his team is drafting in the 20s. Looking at the teams in the 20s, I wonder if maybe Dallas would take him? Romo hasn't gotten it done and McCoy is a local boy after all.

The phrase goes up and gets him means a team would trade up into the 20's so no it's not a team already with a pick in the 20's. At least that's how I read it.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great read indeed, HookemCards! Thanks!

What it proves once again is that scouts have far different opinions and perspectives than draft gurus like Mel and Todd.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Scout: Well Jeff, I think you’re wrong about Okung there. He’s a top-five pick and he belongs there. That kid is mentally tough and I think that’s a factor that not enough people consider for tackles. You have to be mentally tough to accept getting beat, because everyone gets beat. That was what was wrong with Tony Ugoh. He couldn’t get past his own mistakes. Look at Jacksonville last year. The Monroe kid (Eugene Monroe) they took first has the same problem and we knew it. The other guy they took later (Eben Britton) is a better player and will be a real good one for a long time because he understands how to handle getting beat. Okung is like that, and he ain’t gonna get beat too much either.
...I do think people overrate Williams but that doesn’t mean I think the kid can’t play. We can start him next year on the right (right tackle) and not worry. He’s a kid you’re going to have to keep pushing though, if that’s what you mean. And I’ll tell you this about Bulaga--he’s got that mental toughness too. That kid competes. I think he might be a right-sider in the long run but he’ll be fine. I think he’s like Chris Samuels, one of those guys that isn’t in the Pro Bowl every year but you never have to worry about him either. You can win a lot with guys like that.

This is the stuff I find fascinating, and stuff you can't get from watching the combine, or sr. bowl, etc.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Alot of University of Arizona love in those two articles. Between Eben Britton, Gronko, and the scout saying the program is rising, it makes an alum's heart warm to read that stuff.

:cats:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
The phrase goes up and gets him means a team would trade up into the 20's so no it's not a team already with a pick in the 20's. At least that's how I read it.

Could be, but why would the Saints be interested in McCoy?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I loved this:

JR: We’ve talked about this before, but I’m not nearly as high on the offensive tackle crop this year as most people. How do you feel about it?

Scout: You know, I think some of the kids that people aren’t looking at as high are gonna be real good. That kid from Indiana (Rodger Saffold), that kid can flat out play. If he came from Oklahoma or Florida he’d be a top 10 pick, no question in my mind. I like (Charles) Brown out of USC more the more I see him. A lot of Brick (D’Brickashaw Ferguson) in that kid but he might be a little tougher. ...I know you really like Kyle Calloway. On the right side he’ll be fine but he ain’t no zone guy. Even that kid from Abilene (Christian, Tony Washington), he has everything you can want. Love his feet. He’s got some issues but for my money he’s better than that Bruce Campbell kid.

JR: What about the guys at the top that I find overrated? Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams, even Russell Okung to some extent.

Scout: Well Jeff, I think you’re wrong about Okung there. He’s a top-five pick and he belongs there. That kid is mentally tough and I think that’s a factor that not enough people consider for tackles. You have to be mentally tough to accept getting beat, because everyone gets beat. That was what was wrong with Tony Ugoh. He couldn’t get past his own mistakes. Look at Jacksonville last year. The Monroe kid (Eugene Monroe) they took first has the same problem and we knew it. The other guy they took later (Eben Britton) is a better player and will be a real good one for a long time because he understands how to handle getting beat. Okung is like that, and he ain’t gonna get beat too much either.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_twel...terview_with_the_scout_part_ii/#ixzz0kZewHDSw

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_twel...terview_with_the_scout_part_ii/#ixzz0kZewJUk1

There's talk that Saffold could wind up a first rounder to Indy and turn out very well, like Britton.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be, but why would the Saints be interested in McCoy?

I didn't really comment on whether it was a Saints scout or not.

It could be a Vikings scout? More likely a team that has a fairly early pick in Rd2 and "goes up and gets him".

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saffold seems to have come out of nowhere.

I can see how he could wind up as a Top 6 tackle or Top 6 guard, but it's hard to understand how he could have moved up from "nowhere" to being a "top 10" (BPA) pick if he had come from a major school. (That's an awfully big leap of faith).

It will be interesting to see if the scout's judgment is as good as he sounds. Suggest we all track Saffold and see (a) if he gets drafted in Round One and (regardless of where he's picked) (b) whether the scout is right and the kid goes on to become an O-line fixture in the NFL.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I like hearing scouts' thoughts on players mentally. The Ducasse and Eugene Monroe comments were very interesting.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did anyone read the draft article in ESPN the Magazine titled You Have Terrible taste In Prospects by Seth Wickersham? I couldn't find it online but it is maybe the best read from that otherwise useless magazine that I have ever seen.

It talks about the role of GM, Head Coach, Scout and owner and how different war rooms contrast from each other. I found it humorous where he said some Raiders scouts have taken to adding tenths of seconds to 40 times to make a particular player less attractive to Al Davis as he will overrule them too often and is enamored with speed.

In another part they rate our war room #9 overall in the NFL (Colts #1 and Raiders #32)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose