Can Brandon Graham convert to OLB?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Jamie Dukes was on Path to the Draft last night talking about the Cards. He said his first choice for us at 26 would be Brandon Graham, because he's a fireplug and would give us a pass rush. Now, is Graham projected to move to OLB, or is Dukes just another talking head that doesn't realize we're a 3-4 defense?

Btw, he also gave Graves and company some props about our ability to draft BPA.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
:confused: I thought people on here said he was an OLB.

Okay, good! I hadn't seen anything on him for a while and, knowing he was a DE in college, I was just wondering. Chalk it up to me not knowing enough, although if you repeat that I'll deny it...we all know that I know everything :D

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Well from what i remember reading of his high school career he was actually a highly talented Linebacker coming of high school so it wouldnt be far fetched to assume he could transition well into an OLB. However im not a fan of drafting players to change their position as its often a high risk maneouvre you cant take with your premium picks.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well from what i remember reading of his high school career he was actually a highly talented Linebacker coming of high school so it wouldnt be far fetched to assume he could transition well into an OLB. However im not a fan of drafting players to change their position as its often a high risk maneouvre you cant take with your premium picks.

Thing is, Monty, when you play the 3-4 in college, you usually have to draft DEs and transition them to OLBers. That's why scouting that position is more important that scouting any other when running this defense. Most college teams simply don't have 3-4 OLBs, and college 4-3 OLBs usually don't transition to pro 3-4 OLBs.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I think he will be a good conversion guy at least I hope so because Graves and Whisenhunt seem to have a pipeline to Michigan players. If he there I really think he will be our pick unless Weatherspoon falls to us.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Brandon Graham is my #1 option. I just don't see him getting past the Patriots.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
The other conversion guy I hope we look at in the 3rd is Dexter Davis I think he could turn into a beast in the 3-4 he has plenty of speed and seems very aware in space. I haven't seen him mentioned much, so I'm kinda curious what some Sun Devil fans think about him.

Monty

Reaction score
Thing is, Monty, when you play the 3-4 in college, you usually have to draft DEs and transition them to OLBers. That's why scouting that position is more important that scouting any other when running this defense. Most college teams simply don't have 3-4 OLBs, and college 4-3 OLBs usually don't transition to pro 3-4 OLBs.

Good point and for the reason that you state (no genuine college talent currently playing 3-4 OLB available in the draft ) id like us to go for a player that is actually good at playing the position we want him to play in the NFL. I dont like us to gamble on a player being able to transition well (even though i do think that Graham COULD transition to being an excellent OLB for us) and would rather go for a McClain or Weatherspoon in the first round if they are available. I dont mind taking risks with the 3rd and lower round picks but wouldnt do so freely with the 1st and 2nd is all.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Seen him all 4 years at Michigan very good player could be a DE or a OLB and be very good at it and has a great motor and work ethic. But i don't see him falling to us.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good point and for the reason that you state (no genuine college talent currently playing 3-4 OLB available in the draft ) id like us to go for a player that is actually good at playing the position we want him to play in the NFL. I dont like us to gamble on a player being able to transition well (even though i do think that Graham COULD transition to being an excellent OLB for us) and would rather go for a McClain or Weatherspoon in the first round if they are available. I dont mind taking risks with the 3rd and lower round picks but wouldnt do so freely with the 1st and 2nd is all.

Right now I'd agree with you, both because ILBer is the much bigger need, and because I put Graham, Weatherspoon and McClain about on par with McClain a little ahead of the other two.

On the other hand, if you always want to shy away from drafting transition players, you'll probably never have a viable 3-4 OLB.

Monty

Reaction score
I wouldnt shy away from drafting Graham if we didnt have so many other holes in the team. If the rest of the defense was fairly set id jumping at the chance of drafting a talent like Graham in order to move him to OLB.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
at 6-1, 268 -- that isnt really a linebacker build

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt shy away from drafting Graham if we didnt have so many other holes in the team. If the rest of the defense was fairly set id jumping at the chance of drafting a talent like Graham in order to move him to OLB.

You use Free Agency to fill holes and the draft to select best player available IMO.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

:thumbup:

You use Free Agency to fill holes and the draft to select best player available IMO.

Unfortunately, we've painted ourselves into a corner with the gaping holes at ILB on our roster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Unfortunately, we've painted ourselves into a corner with the gaping holes at ILB on our roster.

Yeah. :(

We'd better hope there is a ILB available on the clock and he happens to be the BPA. Sometimes it helps to be lucky.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

In most cases I agree with you. On occasion if someone special shows up or a very very big need can be filled with a very very good prospect there can be an exception.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In most cases I agree with you. On occasion if someone special shows up or a very very big need can be filled with a very very good prospect there can be an exception.

To me, the only exception is franchise QB.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
The one dissapointment with the way the Cards have drafted IMO is that we haven't drafted LB's if we are going to play a 3-4 we need to draft 2-3 conversion guys every year for a couple of years because of the bust factor. Does anyone have any idea how many college teams play the 3-4 i heard Cal does and thought maybe Virgina Tech but not positive.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
With Dansby's signing in Miami and the earlier predictions they would take an ILB like Rolando McClain at #12 (which is no longer a need), don't be surprised if OLB/DE Brandon Graham goes there. I bet Parcells is all over this kid.

Monty

Reaction score
With Dansby's signing in Miami and the earlier predictions they would take an ILB like Rolando McClain at #12 (which is no longer a need), don't be surprised if OLB/DE Brandon Graham goes there. I bet Parcells is all over this kid.

Good point. Miami might not take McClain but itd be hard to see the Giants passing up on McClain unless they believe him having Crohn's disease will impact on his ability to perform long-term. If they would believe that to the extent that they would pass up on the best talent they could use what is to suggest we would be willing to take a risk on McClain. Either way chances are very slim he falls to us but you never know. Exhibit A of the you-never-know rule in the NFL Draft Book = A Chris Wells.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Big Bill does know OLB'ers. I would salivate if he was there at #26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson