Update on Whitehurst

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know preseason doesn't mean much, but Whitehurst hasn't exactly torn it up in August.

Career preseason stats:

94/197 1031 yards 5 TDs 7 INT 13 sacks 6 fumbles 2 FL 57.3 rating

Combined with his college stats, I just don't see where all this talent translates to the field. Whis and Graves obviously know more than I do, but as of now, I can't support this move.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Also you are talking out your you know what saying Brady had TERRIBLE college stats.

http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/cmaster.php?pkey=83

C'mon Shane. Did you actually watch Brady play in college? I did. He was quite putrid and every NCAA fan who followed the sport at the time would have bet their house he would never be an NFL starter, let alone star.

Again my bigger point is sometimes guys translate better as pros then they do at college. Production in college is nice, but certainly not the be all end all.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I just want the team to sign at least one decent backup, at this point I really dont care who...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a Matt Schaub comparison then? Or maybe Priest Holmes to go to another position?

My bigger point is that because a guy can't beat out a Brett Farve, a Kurt Warner, or even Mike Vick (when he was the flavor of the month), doesn't stand as sound reasoning to say why we shouldn't consider a guy.

Matt Schaub would be a good comparison if Whitehurts ever played a snap or was at least 2nd on the depth chart like Schaub was... but he hasn't and he's not. And Priest Holmes would be another good comparison but Holmes also showed what he could do on the field before he signed with the Chiefs, starting and playing well in a number of games for the Ravens (and he also didn't cost a pick in the process).

It's not about beating someone out... it's about giving a sizeable contract AND a pick for someone who's literally accomplished nothing in the league. Schaub had played well in his two starts and was the #2 starter behind Vick and Holmes had shown flashes on the field and cost nothing pick-wise to give up to the Chiefs. Whitehurst hasn't seen a snap, hasn't even passed the #2 QB on the team and will cost dinero and a pick. Just seems weird to me.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the possible scenario.... The Cards really rate Marc Bulger ahead of Derek Anderson, however, don't want to be completely handcuffed waiting for the Rams to waive Bulger... Therefore, they're making this move to acquire Whitehurst as insurance #2, but really desire for Whitehurst for the next couple of seasons to serve as a #3 QB while Bulger (who hopefully will be made available before the draft, but obviously no guarantees) would become either the starter or #2.

IMHO, this is in essence why the Cardinals haven't made an immediate offer to Anderson... Just food for thought.....

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
My major gripe is that there are alternatives to Whitehurst, guys that have proven a lot more and that won't cost a pick. I would much rather save that third and get a young defender. I just think we would be making a big mistake by not saving the pick for a corner or ILB.

However, if we are absolutely set on drafting a QB in the third or fourth then I would rather spend it on Whitehurst.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I believe this is the possible scenario.... The Cards really rate Marc Bulger ahead of Derek Anderson, however, don't want to be completely handcuffed waiting for the Rams to waive Bulger... Therefore, they're making this move to acquire Whitehurst as insurance #2, but really desire for Whitehurst for the next couple of seasons to serve as a #3 QB while Bulger (who hopefully will be made available before the draft, but obviously no guarantees) would become either the starter or #2.

IMHO, this is in essence why the Cardinals haven't made an immediate offer to Anderson... Just food for thought.....

Giving up a 3rd for a third stringer is a horrible plan, if we bring Whitehurst in it is to compete with Matt and to give him a shot as our QBOF.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Giving up a 3rd for a third stringer is a horrible plan, if we bring Whitehurst in it is to compete with Matt and to give him a shot as our QBOF.

Are you familiar with THE PLAN? Must say, I'm not privy to it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think people may be over-valueing a pick in the bottom of the 3rd round. If Whisenhunt thinks this guy can eventually be an NFL starter a low 3rd round pick is nothing. Granted you can get a steal in the bottom of round 3 but you could also get a Dennis Johnson.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think people may be over-valueing a pick in the bottom of the 3rd round. If Whisenhunt thinks this guy can eventually be an NFL starter a low 3rd round pick is nothing. Granted you can get a steal in the bottom of round 3 but you could also get a Dennis Johnson.

Or you could draft a rookie QB who you would have even LESS to go on then you do with Whitehurst.

If Wiz intended to draft a QB in the first three rounds, then I gotts think Whitehurst is a better prospect then anyone not named Bradford or Claussen.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If Bulger is our big option im gonna puke, and Whitehurst does all the duties of the #2 QB he calls in the plays he gets more snaps in practice then Volek etc, if the the chargers werent contending for a SB Whitehurst would be the #2.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Or you could draft a rookie QB who you would have even LESS to go on then you do with Whitehurst.

If Wiz intended to draft a QB in the first three rounds, then I gotts think Whitehurst is a better prospect then anyone not named Bradford or Claussen.

Problem concerning Whitehurst is, the more you know, the less you want him ;)

Honestly, I don't know how so many people can be ranting and raving so much about a guy who hasn't shown a bit of anything real in the NFL. I think it's because we're interested in and supposedly trying to sign him, and IMO that's the ONLY reason everyone seems so high on him. If the team had given him the 'no thanks' treatment, and his name popped up, I bet 90 percent of the board would have been giving the 'thank God' reaction.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

...and he just might be better than they are right now!!!

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My major gripe is that there are alternatives to Whitehurst, guys that have proven a lot more and that won't cost a pick. I would much rather save that third and get a young defender. I just think we would be making a big mistake by not saving the pick for a corner or ILB.

However, if we are absolutely set on drafting a QB in the third or fourth then I would rather spend it on Whitehurst.

so would i....i gotta' believe the "suits" might have a better idea of whose who than many of us do.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I agree with this.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Honestly, I don't know how so many people can be ranting and raving so much about a guy who hasn't shown a bit of anything real in the NFL. I think it's because we're interested in and supposedly trying to sign him, and IMO that's the ONLY reason everyone seems so high on him. If the team had given him the 'no thanks' treatment, and his name popped up, I bet 90 percent of the board would have been giving the 'thank God' reaction.

I asked mitch about whitehurst and started a thread about him before the reports came out about the cards being interested and by your logic why bother talking about the draft its just all a bunch of kids who have never done anything in the NFL.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

can't agree with you any more...that is my thinking exactly...whitehurst just might be the safety net. bulger is going to go, it is just a matter of when and cards don't want to be holding the bag...can't have enough (3) qb's around if you can afford them....

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I asked mitch about whitehurst and started a thread about him before the reports came out about the cards being interested and by your logic why bother talking about the draft its just all a bunch of kids who have never done anything in the NFL.

"people" should take a look at the failure rate of first round draft choices...it is a whole lot highter than one might expect...total crapshoot

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

I trust my Charger fan friends who rave about the guy more than "rumor". There was a point when many of them were screaming for Whitehurst over Rivers (obviously looking back this is foolish). But that is the sort of reputation this guy has in San Diego, and respected guys like Michael Lombardi seem to echo it. Couple that with Arizona's apparent fascination for Chuck and I am on board. Plus I see this as much as a 2011 move as a 2010. We will be in the same boat with Leinart next year as we were with Rolle this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I went back to 2004 and looked at the guys drafted 88-89-90. Other than 2004, it's a pretty bad list. There's not a whole lot of production coming from the bottom round 3.
88 89 90
2009: Laderius Webb Jared Cook Chris Owens
2008: Bruce Davis Steve Slaton Marcus Harrison
2007: Andy Allerman Aaron Rouse Tony Hunt
2006: James Anderson Rashard Butler Maurice Stovall
2005: Sione Pouha Atiyyah Ellison Jordan Beck
2004: Darrion Scott Matt Ware Matt Schaub

2004 was, by far, the best year. It's too early to judge on 2008-2009 but overall,after 2004, Steve Slaton is the only player of significance and he was benched this past year.

Last edited:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Can anyone find his preseason snaps? The guy HAS played in the NFL, just not the regular season. I seem to remember him lighting US up a couple of years ago in preseason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I trust my Charger fan friends who rave about the guy more than "rumor". There was a point when many of them were screaming for Whitehurst over Rivers (obviously looking back this is foolish). But that is the sort of reputation this guy has in San Diego, and respected guys like Michael Lombardi seem to echo it. Couple that with Arizona's apparent fascination for Chuck and I am on board. Plus I see this as much as a 2011 move as a 2010. We will be in the same boat with Leinart next year as we were with Rolle this year.

LOL Really, I almost fell off my chair laughing. Remember when people in Arizona, fans in Arizona, were screaming to give Navarre a shot at QB? Remember when Preston Parsons and BSP had love-fest fans?

If Whitehurst had sniffed the field and looked good, I'd maybe be willing to trust what some Charger fan friends might have to say. They have NOTHING to go off of other than media pub, which as we know can just as easily turn out to be garbage.

Hey, maybe, somehow, he turns into the real deal. I don't believe it, but maybe. But THIS is the reason you bring to me? Really? Charger fans thinking he's really good without any kind of basis in reality? Hmmm.

It is often said that the 2nd-string QB is the most popular guy in town; I never thought the same would ever be said for the 3rd-string QB!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
LOL Really, I almost fell off my chair laughing. Remember when people in Arizona, fans in Arizona, were screaming to give Navarre a shot at QB? Remember when Preston Parsons and BSP had love-fest fans?

If Whitehurst had sniffed the field and looked good, I'd maybe be willing to trust what some Charger fan friends might have to say. They have NOTHING to go off of other than media pub, which as we know can just as easily turn out to be garbage.

Hey, maybe, somehow, he turns into the real deal. I don't believe it, but maybe. But THIS is the reason you bring to me? Really? Charger fans thinking he's really good without any kind of basis in reality? Hmmm.

It is often said that the 2nd-string QB is the most popular guy in town; I never thought the same would ever be said for the 3rd-string QB!

I trust this guy's football knowledge more than the medias, yours, or most of the fans on this board. No knock on anyone here, just this guy is right more than wrong (a lot). I have no doubt you don't trust him, nor should you. But don't assume everyone on this board knows nothing about him.

How about Michael Lombardi? That front office scrub? I am amazed at the value you assign him because of his depth chart ranking. Aren't you doing the same thing you are accusing me of doing, just the opposite way?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i guess my biggest problem with this is giving this guy a contract he hasn't even come close to deserving. Sure, he might be just as good as any QB we'd pick in the third round, but he's gonna COST like a 1st rounder with the contract I fear being talked about. I just don't like the idea of giving a 3rd stringer, who did very little in college and hasn't been able to beat out career back-up Billy Volek, a nice sizable contract and getting rid of a pick in the process. that's just a double whammy that makes it hard to swallow for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson