Update on Whitehurst

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cardinals | Talking contract with Whitehurst
Comment (0)
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:48:31 -0800
Kent Somers, of The Arizona Republic, reports the Arizona Cardinals are negotiating a contract with San Diego Chargers restricted free-agent QB Charlie Whitehurst.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0i66scV9Z

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I hope they aren't giving up a pick for this guy. :(

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a plan to use San Diego's cap in 2011.
Their going to decide to match the contract.
Machiavellian Graves.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we give up a 3rd for this guy I will :barf:

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
The only way I won't be mad at this is if the FO were leaning towards selecting a QB in the mid rounds anyway. Whitehurst is better than any mid round QB out there this year and has experience.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The only way I won't be mad at this is if the FO were leaning towards selecting a QB in the mid rounds anyway. Whitehurst is better than any mid round QB out there this year and has experience.

I agree, I would hate to give up a 3rd though. I wouldn't mind if we negotiated a 4th, most people had us taking a QB by the 4th round anyways.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think it's been expected that the Cards are going to draft a QB. If that's the case, I'm sure Whitehurst is already way ahead of any rookie that would be brought in. I've seen people have us taking McCoy, Tebow, Skelton, the kid from WVU, Lefevour, and others. Those are likely 3rd/4th round picks. I'd take Whitehurst over any of them.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am still not sure what to think about this. One one hand a 3rd round rookie QB probably has more upside. On the other hand Whitehurst has been sitting behind two good Veteran QB's, has been trained by a great offensive mind and good QB coaches for 4 years now. :confused:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we get Whitehurst and give up a third, the end results of the Boldin trade will be:

Boldin and a 5th for Kerry Rhodes and Charlie Whitehurst.

I'm not sure what two draftees we could get that would be better than them, on paper, right now. I think it's pretty smart to get a little experience to fill those spots, rather than relying on two rookies. Starting FS and backup QB are not minor roles on any team.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
All we need to know is that Whiz likes him...and he'd be Whiz's first acquisition at QB, so that will mean a lot.

That said...we saw what Aaron Rodgers presented to us...Whitehurst has an Aaron Rodgers-type arm and very similar mobility.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If we get Whitehurst and give up a third, the end results of the Boldin trade will be:

Boldin and a 5th for Kerry Rhodes and Charlie Whitehurst.

I'm not sure what two draftees we could get that would be better than them, on paper, right now. I think it's pretty smart to get a little experience to fill those spots, rather than relying on two rookies. Starting FS and backup QB are not minor roles on any team.

Good points, AJ.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All we need to know is that Whiz likes him...and he'd be Whiz's first acquisition at QB, so that will mean a lot.

That said...we saw what Aaron Rodgers presented to us...Whitehurst has an Aaron Rodgers-type arm and very similar mobility.

I can see where you are going to go with this if it happens... :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Both Arizona and Seattle bring in Derek Anderson for a visit.
Both Arizona and Seattle don't start negotiating with Whitehurst until after they brought in Anderson.

Could both teams be using Whitehurst as a ploy to lower Andersons demands?

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I would not be happy if we gave up a 3rd for Whitehurst...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Both Arizona and Seattle don't start negotiating with Whitehurst until after they brought in Anderson.

Could be.

Bottom line... both teams have fall back possibilities.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Tactics my friend, and I believe that they are being used to get a longer deal with more incentives. I am sure that Derek wants a short contract with less incentives that way he is not stuck, where the teams want a contract that won't blow up in their face if their QB situations goes well.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
My friend is a die-hard Chargers fan and he said most fans prefer Whitehurst over Volek. He has had some glimpses of brilliance in preseason, but I can't find any stats to support this.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

It's a possibility, but it might be an indictment of Anderson more than anything else. His visits might have been very underwhelming, thus compelling the Cardinals and Seahawks to pull the trigger on the kind of deal that would require compensation to the Chargers.

I'd rather not give up a third round pick, but since we have two of them, I think I'd be more comfortable giving one of them up than going through some of the latter rounds without a pick. If we were to give San Diego a 4th, we'd be without a draft pick for two full rounds, and could miss out on some value guys that we've traditionally picked well. Drafting a quarterback somewhere between the 3rd and 6th round this year seemed to be an inevitability, since we have to fill two roster spots at the position anyways. Whitehurst was drafted in the same area a few years ago, and his experience in the NFL probably makes him more valuable than any rookie we'd choose in that range.

Articles I'd read mentioned Whitehurst as one of the more appealing RFA's in this year's free agency class, even before the Cardinals showed any interest. There's a history in the league of players who were backups, and even third stringers, coming into a starter's role and having a great deal of success. Matt Schaub, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Brett Favre, and Steve Young stand out as examples of guys who were either stuck behind a fantastic player, or didn't suit the system they were in, that found a great deal of success once moving to another team.

I'm not ready to anoint Charlie Whitehurst as the next great NFL quarterback, but his experience sets him above a rookie, were Matt to get hurt, or even just play terribly.

No matter what, I'd prefer him over Derek Anderson. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing both in, but Whitehurst has the benefit of not playing some of the worst football I've seen from a quarterback in the past year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave