Swedish Rock Bands

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Whats their secret ingredient? What do you think? Why are there so many truly great Rock, Alternative, Punk Rock and Metal bands coming out of Sweden especially in the last 10 years or so?

From the top of my head..

in Flames
Soilwork
Dead by April
Sonic Syndicate
Millencollin
Mando Diao
The Hives
The Sounds
Refused
Opeth
Arch Enemy
Tiamat

and many many more..

Considering Sweden has a population of just 9.2 Million..compared to Los Angeles with 13 Million in the Metropolitan area.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That's pop and from like the 70s-80s. : )

But yeah historically they also had good bands.. Abba, Roxette, Ace of Base, The Cardigans..

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered that too. Add Raised Fist and Bombshell rocks to that list. Millencolin is one of my top ten favorite bands and my old band was named New Noise after the Refused song. So many amazing bands from such a small country.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They spend like 11 months out of the year inside hiding from the freezing cold. LA has beautiful weather year around.

Mystery solved.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whats their secret ingredient? What do you think? Why are there so many truly great Rock, Alternative, Punk Rock and Metal bands coming out of Sweden especially in the last 10 years or so?

From the top of my head..

in Flames
Soilwork
Dead by April
Sonic Syndicate
Millencollin
Mando Diao
The Hives
The Sounds
Refused
Opeth
Arch Enemy
Tiamat

and many many more..
You can add Pain of Salvation to that list. Also, in the hard rock genre, Europe (the band) was pretty big back in the day.

The whole Scandinavian region has tons of great bands.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They spend like 11 months out of the year inside hiding from the freezing cold. LA has beautiful weather year around.

Mystery solved.

Thinks that is a bit simple analysis..

Was Seattle in the 90s so successful because it is always raining?
Or Liverpool in the 70s because it was a workers city.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I've often wondered that too. Add Raised Fist and Bombshell rocks to that list. Millencolin is one of my top ten favorite bands and my old band was named New Noise after the Refused song. So many amazing bands from such a small country.

Grew up on Millencolin. Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come was one of my favorite albums of the time. Arch Enemy is one of my favorite female-led bands. I think I might move to Sweden.