FlashForward (ABC)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Way too fast and cheesy. Felt like this should have been a 2 hour premier. (They crammed too much into the first episode.) And the slow motion running / D level script kind of got on my nerves. But the premise is interesting enough to get me to give it another try.

Watched the pilot last night. Completely agree, should have been two hours. Seemed like they were rushing things along way too quickly.

The scene in the stadium was really creepy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I enjoyed the 2nd episode much more then I did the pilot. I have to agree now that the pilot would have played out better had the first 2 episodes played together.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's certainly watchable, but I'm having a problem trying to get into the show. First, Joseph Fiennes voice is just so bad--it seems like his attempt to get rid of his English accent is making him sound like Batman.

It's an interesting premise, but right now the story doesn't seem like it will fill up a 22 episode season. And what happens after April? Seems like it's not really made to have a season 2.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's certainly watchable, but I'm having a problem trying to get into the show. First, Joseph Fiennes voice is just so bad--it seems like his attempt to get rid of his English accent is making him sound like Batman.

It's an interesting premise, but right now the story doesn't seem like it will fill up a 22 episode season. And what happens after April? Seems like it's not really made to have a season 2.

In the book, the entire world wanted a second flash-forward...it was timed so that everyone was sitting down or laying down so no one would die in some accident.

Once they find the cause, it's possible they'll want to do it again, or they wont be able to stop someone from doing it again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In the book, the entire world wanted a second flash-forward...it was timed so that everyone was sitting down or laying down so no one would die in some accident.

Once they find the cause, it's possible they'll want to do it again, or they wont be able to stop someone from doing it again.

Interesting, but I can't help but wonder that those people that haven't read the book might look at that as being contrived.

"Hey, we need a 2nd season!"
"I know, let's just have another flash forward!"

I'm not saying that in reality that's what it will be, but you'll see a lot of people thinking that.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've enjoyed both episodes. The lost "connections" are just marketing things, they're not trying to connect the stories. Like the Oceanic Airlines billboard in episode one, the daughter named Charlie, the actors from lost (Penny and Charlie) in this show. I also saw on the shows website that the episode that will take place on the day they flashed to, April 29th will actually air on April 29th.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Curious criticisms from a Lost lover ;) This show has WAY less holes than the lost premier.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Curious criticisms from a Lost lover ;) This show has WAY less holes than the lost premier.

I'm a Lost lover, yes, but I didn't watch Lost from the Pilot--I got into Lost after Season 1 came out on DVD. And I didn't watch Lost at first because I thought the same thing--I had no idea where they could go with a television series about a bunch of people stranded on an island.

And as far as holes--that's the issue I think. Lost had a bunch of unanswered questions that were explored over the next 5 years. Flashforward doesn't have nearly as many unanswered questions, which leads me to wonder how they're going to fill up the next 18 hours before April 29th.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

thats how I felt about the show Prison Break... but they did a pretty good job IMO

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Lost lover, yes, but I didn't watch Lost from the Pilot--I got into Lost after Season 1 came out on DVD. And I didn't watch Lost at first because I thought the same thing--I had no idea where they could go with a television series about a bunch of people stranded on an island.

And as far as holes--that's the issue I think. Lost had a bunch of unanswered questions that were explored over the next 5 years. Flashforward doesn't have nearly as many unanswered questions, which leads me to wonder how they're going to fill up the next 18 hours before April 29th.

I think I am with you on this one. Lost didn't have "holes" as far as I am concerned as much as mysteries/questions. I could tell from the very start of lost that everything seemed to have a purpose and I wanted to know what that was. Then the fact that with every answer came another question has kept me hooked.

With this show there seems to be very few mysteries in it for me. I also am having a hard time seeing how this can be stretched out. I didn't read the book and the only thing I could think of is that this show continues to have more flash forwards. So, if the writers have an overall mystery or direction in mind and are careful that they only reveal it in pieces over each flash forward event...I could see that happening. I just don't know if that will keep viewers hooked?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The absolute biggest question for me is how, if they are going to have multiple flash forward events, they are going to keep each flash forward from being a contrived coincidence. "Hmm, we're out of story. What should we do? I know, let's have another flash forward!!"

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With this show there seems to be very few mysteries in it for me. I also am having a hard time seeing how this can be stretched out. I didn't read the book and the only thing I could think of is that this show continues to have more flash forwards. So, if the writers have an overall mystery or direction in mind and are careful that they only reveal it in pieces over each flash forward event...I could see that happening. I just don't know if that will keep viewers hooked?

The absolute biggest question for me is how, if they are going to have multiple flash forward events, they are going to keep each flash forward from being a contrived coincidence. "Hmm, we're out of story. What should we do? I know, let's have another flash forward!!"

Well, look at the first two episodes. Right at the beginning, it's basically HOW it happened and WHO is that guy walking around?

Now it's, who is the second guy, and why did his daughter know him from her flash forward? And how does John Cho get murdered?

I just think as we get deeper into this, more mysteries will appear and we'll get answers along the day. It's like Lost even where the more you find out, the more questions you might have.

And as far as more flash forwards, we don't know the HOW and WHY yet, once we do...the idea of someone instigating a second FF might not seem so contrived.

I dunno...I'm going to give it time. The problem out there is that Lost gave us such a top notch serialized show, it's tough for new shows to be compared to it.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is FF show runners invited it. Welcomed it in even.

I disagree there, although I'm not sure I read everything I could. But I did see plenty where they tried to tell people that this WAS NOT Lost...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree there, although I'm not sure I read everything I could. But I did see plenty where they tried to tell people that this WAS NOT Lost...

Perhaps it was ABC then that made the decision to begin with, "from the producers of Lost ..." in their promo.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, I never watched an episode of Lost, but so far this show is great in my opinion. In fact this is probably my favorite show right now.

Two of my favorite shows from last season (Fringe, Crash) have started off disappointing in my opinion, this one has been a pleasant surprise though. I don't know how it compares to Lost, that show didn't interest me, but Flash Forward is a pretty cool concept. It's actually something different from other shows which is a nice change.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it compares to Lost, that show didn't interest me, but Flash Forward is a pretty cool concept. It's actually something different from other shows which is a nice change.

Lost is a show about time travel wrapped in character-driven storylines and a storytelling device using multiple points of view of the same series of events (or are they?), built on a foundation of epic (or maybe just timeless) philosophy.

FlashForward is a show about missing time wrapped in character-driven storylines and a (possibly) a storytelling device using multiple points of view of the same series of events (two points of view from the same people!), built on a foundation of epic philosophy (if they're smart and allow themes to pour out of the characters).

There are major differences, of course, but they share a very important kernel at the core, most notably they both share a central theme: predestination vs. free will. This 17 Century debate drove every single interesting plot line in Lost and will do the same for this show (assuming they recognize it needs to be central in every episode).

Even the term "Flash Forward" is central to Lost because it becomes the storytelling device for the last three seasons -- so much so that JJ Abrams added an anagram in the title of a funeral home so a few obsessive people (such as myself) could figure out we were done with the flashbacks and, for all intents and purposes, the character development (to my chagrin and I believe their failure). Of course, that's just a coincidence because FlashForward is actually a sci-fi novel and the series is loosely (very loosely) based on it. It's more conceptual really. But, of course, Abrams stole a few ideas from that book for Lost (as he does for pretty much every episode ... it's obtuse in a way that should be considered an homage, and not plagiarism).

Like I said at the beginning, FF will stand on its own or it won't. Right now I think it's way up in the air because character development is in process. I suppose viewers are supposed to be latching on to Joseph Fiennes' character, but his storyline (and the acting) is like chocolate-covered chalk ... the writing is there, but the delivery on expectation is not delightful. Then again, Lost more or less rode Matthew Fox as the central character for the second season, but they were smart to draw attention back to a much stronger actor -- Terry O'Quinn -- and I haven't seen anyone on FF to have those kind of acting chops.

We'll see. I'm not dumping on it. Just waiting for some real ingenuity. I do think it's too bad they've strayed so far from the book because the character Lloyd Simcoe is perfect for TV.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not characterize LOST as a show about time travel despite recent events in the show. There has always been elements but I wouldn't characterize it that way at all. At any rate, I do agree with alot of everything else you posted above though.

Also, I think Jack very much came back into the spotlight the last season or so. His need or most crack like obsession to get back to the island was great. Some of the best acting I have seen yet on the show. Terry O'Quinn is a great actor but his character was starting to grate on me. To each his own I guess.

So far much stronger characters in LOST and a better cast. However, it is still early in Flash Forward. I see alot of potential and I do like some of the actors. It just remains to be seen how deep this show really is.

Stout

Reaction score
I really don't get the 'better acting on Lost' statements at all. I mean, I get the idea that it became wildly popular, but watching the pilot and some of the first episode, I REALLY didn't see much quality acting at all. In fact, a big turn-off for me was how god awful Fox was. I looked at my friend and said, 'Really? THIS is going to be the lead actor for the show?' Fox has been okay in other roles I've seen him in, but at the beginning of Lost he was just awful.

I agree that Fiennes isn't doing a great job of it, but I don't think he's stinking up the screen either. We'll see how it goes. I'm really intrigued to see if the one actor (is it Cho?) has the chops for the role.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't get the 'better acting on Lost' statements at all. I mean, I get the idea that it became wildly popular, but watching the pilot and some of the first episode, I REALLY didn't see much quality acting at all. In fact, a big turn-off for me was how god awful Fox was. I looked at my friend and said, 'Really? THIS is going to be the lead actor for the show?' Fox has been okay in other roles I've seen him in, but at the beginning of Lost he was just awful.

I agree that Fiennes isn't doing a great job of it, but I don't think he's stinking up the screen either. We'll see how it goes. I'm really intrigued to see if the one actor (is it Cho?) has the chops for the role.

You do realize that you're pretty much alone in your opinion around here of Lost don't you? I mean you can continue to criticize the show based on your lack of appreciation of the pilot, but everyone else is just shaking their collective head. Yes, it has its flaws.. but very few and it's one of the best hour long shows ever on network television. Being critical of the show based on a few of the first episodes that were not meant to make any sense only shows you cheated yourself out of a wonderful ride. It's like watching the first preseason game of the Cards 2008 season and saying since they lost to N.O. and looked like crap, the rest of the season is sure to suck and you stopped watching.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that you're pretty much alone in your opinion around here of Lost don't you? I mean you can continue to criticize the show based on your lack of appreciation of the pilot, but everyone else is just shaking their collective head. Yes, it has its flaws.. but very few and it's one of the best hour long shows ever on network television. Being critical of the show based on a few of the first episodes that were not meant to make any sense only shows you cheated yourself out of a wonderful ride. It's like watching the first preseason game of the Cards 2008 season and saying since they lost to N.O. and looked like crap, the rest of the season is sure to suck and you stopped watching.

And I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread to turn it into a discussion about the merits (or lack thereof) Lost. I merely wanted to point out that I see a strong correlation between the two, both thematically and practically. As much as it's a coincidence because the book they pulled from was also similar to Lost, I also point out they abandoned the two character lead premise of the book and went with an ensemble cast (and probably unnecessary in my opinion, but I think the networks have learned this makes it better for the show to live beyond a few seasons and expands its appeal into multiple demographics).

Honestly, I really don't have a big problem if TV recycles the same stuff as long as the source material is good. The Greeks covered all the great tragedies, the French and the Brits invented modern, literate sarcasm, and all the world's religious litany covers the width and breadth of the condition of man. You're not going to reinvent any of that and you're certainly not going to improve on that. All I want from my entertainment is a recognition of those themes and provide me with a modernized catharsis.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread to turn it into a discussion about the merits (or lack thereof) Lost. I merely wanted to point out that I see a strong correlation between the two, both thematically and practically. As much as it's a coincidence because the book they pulled from was also similar to Lost, I also point out they abandoned the two character lead premise of the book and went with an ensemble cast (and probably unnecessary in my opinion, but I think the networks have learned this makes it better for the show to live beyond a few seasons and expands its appeal into multiple demographics).

Honestly, I really don't have a big problem if TV recycles the same stuff as long as the source material is good. The Greeks covered all the great tragedies, the French and the Brits invented modern, literate sarcasm, and all the world's religious litany covers the width and breadth of the condition of man. You're not going to reinvent any of that and you're certainly not going to improve on that. All I want from my entertainment is a recognition of those themes and provide me with a modernized catharsis.

I like Flash Forward, looking forward to flashing to the next episode. My favorite thing about lost is it's an intelligent show, it encourages thought. I mean they have to have a website to walk some folks through and really the only complaint I've read is folks that complain it's too hard for them to understand. We have a ton of ignorant tv, plots that hold your hand, I like that Lost allows for some to get lost. It's one of the rare shows that I will enjoy going back some day and watching it again from the beginning to see what I can pick up the 2nd time around.

Stout

Reaction score

Baaaaaah *sheep noises* Is that what you wanted? Sorry, just because the slobbering masses like a show doesn't mean I have to like it too. It was wildly popular and peopled loved it. The masses also love reality TV, Paris Hilton, and the Bee Gees.

I don't care if others like it; they're allowed to like it. And I didn't just watch the pilot and first episode. I had a friend try to force-feed me the show. It just sucked to me. I love a good puzzle, and I love mysteries, but it just didn't click for me. I thought Fox sucked, I found other actors severely lacking (don't know names), and the idiotic robot sound was just that--IDIOTIC. If it's meant to be mystical or magical, make that clear. Don't try to sell me on a giant robot that no one can see. That's not science fiction...that's science stupid.

But hey, to each their own. You loved it. Most others did too. I'm in the minority, I know. That doesn't mean I'll change my opinion, or stop chiming in when the topic arises. As sick as you are of my complaining about the show? Multiply that by about a gazillion, and that's as sick I am of people harping on it as great TV and bringing it up every two threads. That's not a knock on you at all, Gad, and I agree that the comparison is logicl on this thread. I just keep getting people that harp on me to watch more of it and maybe I'll like it. Hey, if I take a bite of food and hate it, why should I keep eating? The whole 'acquired taste' idea is ridiculously stupid. If you don't like it, why bang your head against the wall and try to like it?

So, to sum up...I don't like Lost, you don't like me talking about the dislike, but I'm going to keep remarking on my dislike whenever the topic of Lost comes up :)

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baaaaaah *sheep noises* Is that what you wanted? Sorry, just because the slobbering masses like a show doesn't mean I have to like it too. It was wildly popular and peopled loved it. The masses also love reality TV, Paris Hilton, and the Bee Gees.

I don't care if others like it; they're allowed to like it. And I didn't just watch the pilot and first episode. I had a friend try to force-feed me the show. It just sucked to me. I love a good puzzle, and I love mysteries, but it just didn't click for me. I thought Fox sucked, I found other actors severely lacking (don't know names), and the idiotic robot sound was just that--IDIOTIC. If it's meant to be mystical or magical, make that clear. Don't try to sell me on a giant robot that no one can see. That's not science fiction...that's science stupid.

But hey, to each their own. You loved it. Most others did too. I'm in the minority, I know. That doesn't mean I'll change my opinion, or stop chiming in when the topic arises. As sick as you are of my complaining about the show? Multiply that by about a gazillion, and that's as sick I am of people harping on it as great TV and bringing it up every two threads. That's not a knock on you at all, Gad, and I agree that the comparison is logicl on this thread. I just keep getting people that harp on me to watch more of it and maybe I'll like it. Hey, if I take a bite of food and hate it, why should I keep eating? The whole 'acquired taste' idea is ridiculously stupid. If you don't like it, why bang your head against the wall and try to like it?

So, to sum up...I don't like Lost, you don't like me talking about the dislike, but I'm going to keep remarking on my dislike whenever the topic of Lost comes up :)

Wow Stout, you are so weird about all this :) Such hate.

Making fun of the robot sound? lol...who cares, you don't/didn't even know if it was a rebot or not, so how can you judge the sound?

Also, not thinking the acting was great is insane. It's a fact. It WAS great. The show has been up for Emmy's, the guy who plays Locke was up for one, the guy who plays Ben, etc.

I know you can have your own opinion and all, it's just weird how wrong you have it :)

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't care if you like it or not. What you failed to comprehend is that I said your constant critique is falling on deaf ears around here. If others talk about how much they enjoy the show, why do you see that as your Bat signal to jump in and bitch? Here's an idea...how about just ignoring it?

So you are one of those that likes your plots spelled out, it's clear Lost isn't the show for you. All I'm saying is that making these claims of stupidity about something you clearly know nothing about just makes you look silly. For those who have watched the show, whether they like it or not, know that the first season makes no sense and it was never supposed to. It's not 24 where they follow the same formula every season and the good guys always win. It's an ongoing story from the pilot to the last episode and you won't know who's the good guys were until the end, if ever.

You're right, to each thier own. If you had actually watched the show and not just a few episodes I wouldn't have said a thing. But, your need to criticize about something you know close to nothing about.. and trust me, you know nothing about Lost based on your posts about it, it just looks silly. I stand by my comparison to the Cards last season.

Also, this isn't a show for the masses and the same crowd who likes reality tv and Paris Hilton do not watch this show. I'll choose to ignore your insult of the Bee Gee's.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson