Air date:

October 2, 2009

Channel:
Sci Fi Channel

Producers:
Brad Wright
Robert Cooper

Synopsis:
"SGU" follows a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians who must fend for themselves after they are forced through a Stargate when their hidden base is attacked. When they emerge they find themselves aboard the Destiny, an ancient spaceship that can't return to Earth because its course is locked on an unknown destination in deep space. The group must work together to meet their basic survival needs, unlock the ship's secrets and deal with those among them with their own, insidious agenda.

Cast:
Ming-Na - Camile Wray (IOC)
Lou Diamond Phillips - Colonel Telford (Expedition Leader)
Elyse Levesque - Chloe Armstrong (Senators Aid)
Alaina Huffman - MSgt. Tamara Johansen (Field Medic)
Robert Carlyle - Dr. Nicholas Rush (Scientist)
David Blue - Eli Wallace (Mathematician)
Justin Louis - Colonel Everett Young (team leader)
Jamil Walker Smith - Marine Sgt. Ronald Greer.
Brian J. Smith - Lt. Mathew Scott

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/1079/index.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to another Stargate series. I thought Atlantis ended prematurely. With BSG going out this season, we really need another good sci-fi space show IMO. I am guessing here some of these guys will die off after the pilot a la Stargate Atlantis but will update the cast list after the show airs.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lou Diamond Phillips. Pffft.

I own the entire SG1/Atlantis series from start to finish. I hope this isn't the only SG movie this summer. They owe me better Atlantis closure than what they gave me.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lou Diamond Phillips. Pffft.

I own the entire SG1/Atlantis series from start to finish. I hope this isn't the only SG movie this summer. They owe me better Atlantis closure than what they gave me.

The ending of that show seemed so abrupt and the story lines rushed. They should have at the very least turned it into a 2 hour finale or 2 parter IMO. At least they are going to do some DVD movies.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ending of that show seemed so abrupt and the story lines rushed. They should have at the very least turned it into a 2 hour finale or 2 parter IMO. At least they are going to do some DVD movies.

If they wanted to spin-off a cheaper version of the show, they could have done that by finding young actors who would stay behind in the Pegasus galaxy and start up an Earth-based civilization. That would've been cool. It could have been a low-tech version of the show. I wouldn't have had a problem with that, because the story lines might have improved.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.scificool.com/joseph-mallozzi-talks-stargate-atlantis-movie-and-universe/

Joseph Mallozzi Talks Stargate Atlantis Movie and Universe

Written By: Nix on February 9, 2009 2 Comments
You must be registered for see images
Longtime producer Joseph Mallozzi recently sat down to talk with About.com on all things he did right, wrong, and wished he could have done when it comes to the canceled Atlantis show. If you’re a fan of the show, I recommend reading the full interview, it’s quite the read. But what about the proposed Atlantis DVD movies and the future of the Stargate TV universe, in particular the upcoming Stargate: Universe? Mallozzi had lots to say about those as well.
About the Atlantis movie:

We have a detailed pitch and we’re going to be having an official discussion probably next week about how we want to proceed. And then Paul and I are probably going to start work on the script very soon. I’ve just got to get this Universe script out of the way, my first Universe script. I’m late into the fourth act at this point. By next week we should probably get started.

On Universe:

But on the other hand, it’s going to be a little bit more — I don’t want to use the word “space opera,” but it is more relationship-based, it is more arc-driven, it’s less monster- or situation-of-the-week. We’re focusing less on — in fact, we’re not even focusing at all on going to the planets and meeting the humanoid, English-speaking aliens. It’s less that focus on Our Hero and more on an ensemble cast. The past month or so have just been watching endless, endless auditions trying to cast these parts. We’re almost there — at this point we’re casting a dozen or more major roles. It’s exciting, introducing new characters, and starting something in a sense similar, but fresh as well.
That’s one of the things that Stargate did well in the past, and even though we still will be arc-driven, we will always take pains to ensure that first-time viewers will always be able to jump on at a certain point and get caught up fairly quickly, and be able to enjoy the show from there.
I want to liken it to something on TV, but I can’t really — I guess you can liken it to Battlestar Galactica, in that it’s science-fiction and it’s more arc-driven, but in terms of tone, in terms of situation, in fact in terms of the story it is very unlike Battlestar. I’d say it’s more Lost than Battlestar, but even then I’m reluctant to make that comparison.

He also talks about the overwhelmingly negative fan reaction to news of Atlantis’ premature cancellation and all the Stargate 90210 elements we’ve heard, read, or seen of the new Stargate show. It’s a good read, and I would recommend it for fans of the franchise.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this show even though I'm not sure about the premise. I really liked SG1 and Atlantis, I bought all the DVD's and really enjoyed both series. I have come to trust the Stargate franchise to produce an imaginative and interesting product so hopefully this show keeps up the standard.

I am however, still very upset over the cancellation of Atlantis. That show was still running strong and was canceled WAY before it's time. It had at least 3 good seasons left in it. I have to admit, the premature cancellation of Atlantis makes me a little weary of getting into another series for fear of seeing it to the same fate.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am however, still very upset over the cancellation of Atlantis. That show was still running strong and was canceled WAY before it's time. It had at least 3 good seasons left in it. I have to admit, the premature cancellation of Atlantis makes me a little weary of getting into another series for fear of seeing it to the same fate.

I think it was pretty universal that fans of the SG universe were PO with Atlantis being cancelled like it was. I would have been OK had they given us one more season and a full season's notice that the show was coming to an end a la SG1.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this show even though I'm not sure about the premise. I really liked SG1 and Atlantis, I bought all the DVD's and really enjoyed both series. I have come to trust the Stargate franchise to produce an imaginative and interesting product so hopefully this show keeps up the standard.

I agree with this all but the last two seasons of SG-1 were wasted for me. Never connected with the Col. Mitchell character. The loss of RD Anderson as a regular character was devastating to the chemistry of the show and really showed the weaknesses of the other characters, IMO ... they couldn't carry the show without him. Also, the story arc for Teal'c was so blatantly robbed from Star Trek's Klingons and Vulcans I had trouble maintaining my interest. The only interesting late-series character was Vala, and they really didn't go far enough with her, IMO.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this all but the last two seasons of SG-1 were wasted for me. Never connected with the Col. Mitchell character. The loss of RD Anderson as a regular character was devastating to the chemistry of the show and really showed the weaknesses of the other characters, IMO ... they couldn't carry the show without him. Also, the story arc for Teal'c was so blatantly robbed from Star Trek's Klingons and Vulcans I had trouble maintaining my interest. The only interesting late-series character was Vala, and they really didn't go far enough with her, IMO.

Have to disagree here. I loved Col. Mitchell. In fact, when I heard that he was the replacement and they were bringing in the Vala character, I was 99% sure I would stop watching the show because I was already feeling like it was time. Loved RDA but I felt like the show ran it's cours with RDA at least a season before he left.

The Col. Mitchell and Vala characters were surprisingly refreshing IMO and the new characters renewed my interest in the show. The show had probably run it's course anyway but I don't think those 2 characters cuased the demise of the show or RDA leaving for that matter. It was probably just time.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I enjoyed the last season mostly because of Vala, I absolutely loved that character. The interaction between Vala and Daniel Jackson was brilliant in my opinion and kept the show fresh for me. I like Mitchell a lot, but no one will ever be Jack O'Neil. That show lost something when they took Jack from the off world team and made him a "desk jockey."

The worst season for me was the 7th season where Jack was in charge of the SGC in Hammonds old role and SG-1 was just a 3 person team. That season was very drab for me, but I liked the rest of them. I totally agree with the above that Atlantis should have run one more year with the announcement that it's the last season. That clearly would have been a bettter approach in my opinion.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So, SG:U sounds like it's a mix of SG/Lost/ST:Voyager.

Meh - I was a huge fan of the SG1 / SG:A, but don't know how this is going to work out. Agreed that with the demise of BSA (which has about run it's course), we need a new original sci-fi series to sink our teeth into.

SG1 was never the same once RDA left - Jack made that show. Not that Mitchell didn't do a good job, it just seemed that it was a hollow shell of itself from that point on - which is more the responsibility of the writers than the actors, IMO. SG:A had some interesting points, especially with the introduction of the Asgard as bad guys, but it seemed that it was going towards it's death spiral as well to where it was:
1. Fight the wraith;
2. Fight human bad guys;
3. Fight technology;
4. Rinse and repeat.

It all comes down to the overall story arc of SG:U. Hopefully it will be good.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cast pictures:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Premieres Friday, Oct. 2 on Syfy. The two-part premiere of "Stargate Universe" is titled "Air" and features one hell of a guest star, Richard Dean Anderson as General Jack O'Neill.

:thumbup:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some news:

LD Phillips is only on for 7 episodes, so I may just be able to tolerate that. RD Anderson on for 3 episodes! Yay! Robert Carlyle is a cool edition. Love his work.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some news:

LD Phillips is only on for 7 episodes, so I may just be able to tolerate that. RD Anderson on for 3 episodes! Yay! Robert Carlyle is a cool edition. Love his work.

Just a guess here but I think that his Role will be similar to that of Robert Patrick from Stargate Atlantis. I predict a death in the line of duty scenario just like in that show.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
REMINDER. This starts tonight. If you are not going to watch it......remember to add to your DVR to do list.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they're going to replay later tonight because I have an appointment and I don't have DVR! Argh!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was interesting. All the camp is gone. It's a straight drama. Not even a dramedy. Not a single wink or grin. If they can pull it off week to week, I think it could be a very strong effort. Frankly, I think NBC should pull it into its network lineup. It's better than Trauma. Much better.

Not sure this one was very strong, but full of potential. They worked real hard to set the characters up and that's always promising in a first episode. I'll wait to pass judgment for a few more episodes. I'm in for now.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am gonna like this show. I think the tone is a tad different then I expected. I also think there are some planned deaths because I see some major confrontations between some of the main characters.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
That was interesting. All the camp is gone. It's a straight drama. Not even a dramedy. Not a single wink or grin. If they can pull it off week to week, I think it could be a very strong effort. Frankly, I think NBC should pull it into its network lineup. It's better than Trauma. Much better.

Not sure this one was very strong, but full of potential. They worked real hard to set the characters up and that's always promising in a first episode. I'll wait to pass judgment for a few more episodes. I'm in for now.

This was both good and bad though. While I think the story is solid and enjoyed the episode overall, it lacks one thing that's made Stargate consistently cool, and that's interesting characters. The one thing that's set Stargate apart for me from other Sci-Fi series are the inter-character relationships and dialogue. Stargate is famous for some of the most interesting, dynmanic and often humorous characters on TV. I kind of felt that part missing from Universe so far. In fact, after watching 2 hours of it, I can't from memory tell you the name of one single character on the show.

Still, I'm giving it time. Atlantis was slightly weak when it started out and ended up being one of my favorite shows ever. I just hope they develop the characters more, I need characters that I actually care about if I'm going to get into this show.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was both good and bad though. While I think the story is solid and enjoyed the episode overall, it lacks one thing that's made Stargate consistently cool, and that's interesting characters. The one thing that's set Stargate apart for me from other Sci-Fi series are the inter-character relationships and dialogue. Stargate is famous for some of the most interesting, dynmanic and often humorous characters on TV. I kind of felt that part missing from Universe so far. In fact, after watching 2 hours of it, I can't from memory tell you the name of one single character on the show.

Really? I thought Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush was way cool. Maybe I'm biased because I like Carlyle.