Amare and Sun Tzu

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on Sun Tzu although I watched two hours about him on the History Channel tonight. :D

I know Amare likens himself to Sun Tzu but the "Art of War" (attributed to Sun Tzu) is so much more than being a good warrior. There is significant focus on planning, knowing yourself and the enemy, attacking weaknesses and deception. Also Sun Tzu was a great leader. Anyway, Amare comparing himself to Sun Tzu caused me to watch the program.

I'm hoping Amare can apply some of the techniques he learned in the study of Sun Tzu.

Last edited:

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Dont get your hopes up too high. According to Amare, he honed his leadership skills by reading wikipedia entries on leadership. I can imagine how studying Sun Tzu looked like...

cly2tw

Reaction score
Who cares what Amare talks. It's all good that his words got you learn something about SunZi, or SunTzu or SunTze, though. ;)
Nash is supposed to be the general and should take soemthing from Sun Tzu, particularly the teaching that you don't waste your energy too much for insignificant battles. Play fewer than 30 min and let others handle the ball a little more in regular season games! ;)

HooverDam

Reaction score
Im just surprised that Amare has heard of someone who existed on this planet before 1980.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think SunTzu would approve of the Suns offensive philosophy with their lack of defensive players. However, I'm sure he could suggest some defensive concepts that can be applied at least sporadically such as springing a pressing defense.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need a big who studies the art of boards.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Stoudemire has learned O'Neal's mastery of continually finding new, attention-grabbing ways to talk about how great he is. But O'Neal, to his credit, understands that eventually you have to back up your talk with on-court performance, or no one will take you seriously. This reality seems to elude Stoudemire. Stoudemire is fast becoming a self-caricature, like a WWE villain who keeps needing new ways to say the same thing, lest interest in his character fall off and ratings decline.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stoudemire has learned O'Neal's mastery of continually finding new, attention-grabbing ways to talk about how great he is. But O'Neal, to his credit, understands that eventually you have to back up your talk with on-court performance, or no one will take you seriously. This reality seems to elude Stoudemire
The problem is that Amare believes that he has already proved everything on the court. I doubt Amare would think of himself as a bad defender, for example, or feel like he has any weaknesses to his game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stoudemire has learned O'Neal's mastery of continually finding new, attention-grabbing ways to talk about how great he is. But O'Neal, to his credit, understands that eventually you have to back up your talk with on-court performance, or no one will take you seriously. This reality seems to elude Stoudemire. Stoudemire is fast becoming a self-caricature, like a WWE villain who keeps needing new ways to say the same thing, interest in his character fall off and ratings decline.

Great post. I tend to agree with that. O'Neal might talk but the guy does tend to backup his talk on the court. He brings it. Amare's problem is he does all this jawing about being a leader, being a good teammate and wanting to be one of the best ever. Yet he disappears on the boards and the defensive end every other game.

I am frankly numb to anything Amare says anymore and I cringe every time I hear him talk about himself. If Amare spent as much time backing up what he says on the court instead of figuring out new nicknames, changing his jersey number and talking about how great he wants to be......he would already be talked about around the league in the same tier as a Kobe or Wade or LeBron.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am frankly numb to anything Amare says anymore and I cringe every time I hear him talk about himself. If Amare spent as much time backing up what he says on the court instead of figuring out new nicknames, changing his jersey number and talking about how great he wants to be......he would already be talked about around the league in the same tier as a Kobe or Wade or LeBron.

I agree with you about not listening to Amare blowing hot air anymore. However, Amare does not belong in the same tier as Kobe or Wade or LeBron. Amare's history of injuries and missing a season and a half has eroded this perception. Another way to look at it, what is Amare's trade value compared to Kobe or Wade or LeBron? Not much.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about not listening to Amare blowing hot air anymore. However, Amare does not belong in the same tier as Kobe or Wade or LeBron. Amare's history of injuries and missing a season and a half has eroded this perception. Another way to look at it, what is Amare's trade value compared to Kobe or Wade or LeBron? Not much.

I agree with you but If Amare brought it every night on both ends of the court that is how the rest of the league would view him. The fact that he doesn't is why Amare is not on the same tier as those other guys.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
Stoudemire has learned O'Neal's mastery of continually finding new, attention-grabbing ways to talk about how great he is. But O'Neal, to his credit, understands that eventually you have to back up your talk with on-court performance, or no one will take you seriously. This reality seems to elude Stoudemire. Stoudemire is fast becoming a self-caricature, like a WWE villain who keeps needing new ways to say the same thing, lest interest in his character fall off and ratings decline.

Outstanding post.

Amare should spend more time studying game film and rebounding techniques instead of reading up on dead generals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA