Im Sorry, But Lance Long Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You say any NFL player "sucks"? That says something about you.

I will defer to Whisenhunt, who took the pitiful Cardinals' franchise from zero to its first Super Bowl appearance. He observed Long and the other receivers first hand over the past two seasons.

BTW, what has Early Doucet done to stand out ahead of Long in your minds?

How does being here, watching him play in preseason and camp the past two seasons justify a lack of credibility? Sounds like YOU are the one who lacks it. Most of the local individuals here have seem him up against NFL talent and make a sound judgment... sucks. I'm sure he was a man among gods in his small school / high school. I don't know of any NFL player who wasn't. However it's not how they played against other slow kids, it's how they stack up against the other elite players in this country. Long doesn't have that talent. Sorry that is painful for you to hear

It's funny, the people who are 3000 miles away think he's the cat's meow. He's a dime a dozen player but will make more money this year than me.... so for that I'm jealous.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
In short, Early Doucet's college QB is starting for the Raiders (JaMarcus Russell).

Lance Long had about 7 QBs in college. When he was a senior at MSU, the starter was a freshman (Wesley Carroll - ever heard of him?).

Again, Lance runs a 4.35 forty yard dash. What's Doucet run, a 4.6?

All I'm saying is Lance is not a slouch and certainly doesn't suck as the original post says. They're all talented - making 53-man roster cuts is difficult every year for every NFL team.

Whisenhunt, who is far more knowledgeable than you guys, said Long was overworked at the time of the fourth preseason game. With all the injuries, you don't believe that is a reasonable explanation?

If the dude really sucks, as you guys are arguing, what does that mean about you?

Lance is that you?

Don't worry about we think of you as fans. It's ok, don't cry we don't hate or dislike you. we want to win games and you're not going to help us accomplish that. This is the NFL and you simply don't be"long" pardon the pun. But you just aren't an NFL WR and never will be.

GFTempleton

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You could also say that Jamarcus had Early to throw to, while Wesley had Lance Long and the argument would make just about as much sense as yours.
nobody is saying he sucks at football. it's a relative suck. Like compared to what he should be for being on this roster, he sucks.

Okay, so you really think JaMarcus Russell is in the NFL today because he had Early Doucet, who averaged 13 yards per catch in college, to throw to? Do you really believe that? That is insane.

And, Wesley Carroll didn't make it to the NFL because he had Lance Long to throw to?

Okay, guys - you've made your "arguments" while I defer to Whisenhunt. I'm out.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are you guys even posting this crap?

Long has just made the team. He's a Cardinal now who has never done anything to give you a reason to criticize him. How's about we congratulate the man on beating the odds and making it to the NFL and let him eff something up before we start hating?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Long has just made the team. He's a Cardinal now who has never done anything to give you a reason to criticize him. How's about we congratulate the man on beating the odds and making it to the NFL and let him eff something up before we start hating?

Technically, he hasn't made the team until the first game, but I agree with you.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently the only people who believe the slogan "We do this together" are the players themselves. I just don't understand what this kid has done to make some Cardinal fans hate him. He hasn't even played in a game that matters as of yet, but he already sucks? I'm glad Whis isn't propelled by his biases and whims. We'd still be "the same old Cardinals".

GFTempleton

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Finally, some SENSE! Go Cardinals! I'm with the man with the evidence, Mr. Ken Whisenhunt. Lead the way, big Whisser!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the 2002 WR group?

David Boston (only played 8 games)
Bryan Gilmore
Arnold Jackson
MarTay Jenkins
Kevin Kasper
Jason McAddley
Nathan Poole
Frank Sanders (past his prime)
Jake Soliday

Long would have started on that team, but now he is the 7th WR. I can deal with that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Personally, I would've kept Jones, because I thought he had more upside. Either way, we're arguing about the 7th receiver. We have questions on STs with returners and we need a fireplug in practice that can show the 1st teamers some speed. I have no problem with it. It's not like we let Tim Brown go to keep him. Welcome aboard, for now, Mr. Long.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Okay, so you really think JaMarcus Russell is in the NFL today because he had Early Doucet, who averaged 13 yards per catch in college, to throw to? Do you really believe that? That is insane.

And, Wesley Carroll didn't make it to the NFL because he had Lance Long to throw to?

Okay, guys - you've made your "arguments" while I defer to Whisenhunt. I'm out.

no, I was turning your terrible point around to you. And again you don't know what you're talking about and are just spewing out what comes to your mind, Carroll is still in college. This argument isn't about the quarterbacks, it's about Lance Long, who looks frantic and over matched so far against NFL talent.

GFTempleton

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no, I was turning your terrible point around to you. And again you don't know what you're talking about and are just spewing out what comes to your mind, Carroll is still in college. This argument isn't about the quarterbacks, it's about Lance Long, who looks frantic and over matched so far against NFL talent.

My apologies for not quoting the comment asking about Doucet and Long in college. The fact is, Long played in one of the worst passing offenses in the NCAA and didn't start but two games as a senior. Doucet played in one of the best programs in the country.

Long has slipped through the cracks and Whisenhunt was smart enough to sign him after last year's draft. I can't fathom a true Cardinal fan slamming one of our players before the season starts - but these are anonymous posts, right? Real honorable, guys.

It's not good enough that everyone agrees that the WR unit is as strong as ever in Arizona.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Ditto! I don't care if he's white, black, purple, or the first Martian to make an NFL roster, he's a Cardinal now, and I wish him well.

BTW, I'm not sure that Rams fans were sold on Kurt Warner in August of 1999. Sometimes you've just got to trust the coach.

GFTempleton

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BOOM!

Ditto! I don't care if he's white, black, purple, or the first Martian to make an NFL roster, he's a Cardinal now, and I wish him well.

BTW, I'm not sure that Rams fans were sold on Kurt Warner in August of 1999. Sometimes you've just got to trust the coach.

Maybe you Cardinal player haters should move on to become Rams, 49ers, or Seahawks fans. For those who missed it, Long runs a 4.35 40, jumps 39" and benches 225 14 times. These tests are a part of the NFL combine for a reason - these are predictors of NFL success. The dude is off the charts. Go log in and hate some other teams' players anonymously, dudes.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe you Cardinal player haters should move on to become Rams, 49ers, or Seahawks fans. For those who missed it, Long runs a 4.35 40, jumps 39" and benches 225 14 times. These tests are a part of the NFL combine for a reason - these are predictors of NFL success. The dude is off the charts. Go log in and hate some other teams' players anonymously, dudes.

Okay man, seriously, you're killing me. Yeah, we're going to root for him to do well because he's a Cardinal. That goes without saying, even though some may wish that another player had made the roster instead. No Cards fan is going to root for a Card player to fail.

That said, you're killing me with your ramblings about his 'numbers'. Those combine numbers mean absolutely nothing when it comes to playing NFL games. Those numbers are good for just about one thing: getting drafted and/or getting signed. After that, you have to prove it on the field. These numbers are NOT predictors of NFL success. Too often, when teams get sucked in by the numbers, the 'workout warrior', the guy who has good numbers but can't play in the NFL, will fool them. Yeah, they're a helpful barometer in the evaluation process, but that's just about all they're worth.

None of this is a bash of Lance Long. The problem is, you keep saying Long will succeed because of these numbers, and that's just incorrect. Lance Long will succeed if he gets a full chance (which he is currently getting), plays and practices well, impresses the coaches, and in short, earns it. His combine numbers will have zero impact on that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do not question the fandom of others just because they don't agree with your opinion on your favorite player. There is no place for that here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

If Long runs a 4.35 40 then my name is Barnaby Jones.

Lance is not going to be on this roster Long.

If he is sooooooo good then why has he sat on our practice squad for two years?

GFTempleton

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evidence and Opinions

You guys have said he sucks. You have no evidence to back your claim. Several people, including myself, have provided evidence that you are wrong. Back your opinions with evidence and I'm all ears.

Stout

Reaction score
You guys have said he sucks. You have no evidence to back your claim. Several people, including myself, have provided evidence that you are wrong. Back your opinions with evidence and I'm all ears.

Hold on now, you haven't presented any evidence other than that he's on the roster and that Whis spoke highly of him. For me that's good enough, and though I would have kept Jones, I'm cool with Whis keeping the guy he wants.

Other than that, you have no evidence. Again, combine numbers prove nothing towards playing in the NFL.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

you're clearly all talk and zero ears. 40 time doesn't prove crap. other than that all you have proven is he wasn't good enough to get onto an LSU team that Doucet was good enough to... Maybe Usain Bolt for MVP of the NFL?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

NFLdraftscout.com, which ranked more than 300 prospective available wideouts, did not rank Long on their lengthy list.

Hmmm not in the top 300 of college receivers? There's some evidence.

But then I don't think Long totally sucks just that there were better players we could have retained.

Imo if Freddie Kitchens weren't the Cards TE coach Long would be long gone. The good ol' boy network in football is one of several reasons I never blindly go along with what coaches do.

Also I think that Early Doucet isn't that great either because he can't stay healthy and seems to have juggler hands as well. Its even worse than Long because the Cards spent a 3rd round pick on him.

Finally wearing the Cardinal uniform doesn't make guys immune from criticism. Poor play will be called out just like exemplary play will be commended.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
This conversation is making me a Lance Long hater, which I'm not, I love the guys hustle and he's a great dude, I just don't see it in him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again the mistake here is seeing him as a receiver. His upside is to be a Sean Morey type guy.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Again the mistake here is seeing him as a receiver. His upside is to be a Sean Morey type guy.

Agreed, however, I actually think he's not up to Morey's level either...

He seems smaller and slower than Morey to me. I love the guy and would really enjoy seeing him make plays, either as a WR of on Special Teams. I just don't see it though... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.