Supporting Member
Reaction score
District 9

Release Date: August 14, 2009
Studio: TriStar Pictures (Sony)
Director: Neill Blomkamp
Screenwriter: Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell
Genre: Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: R (for bloody violence and pervasive language)
Website: District9movie.com | MultiNationalUnited.com | MNUSpreadsLies.com | MathsFromOuterSpace.com

Starring: Sharlto Copley, David James

Plot Summary: 28 years ago, aliens made first contact with Earth. Humans waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world. The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa's "District 9" as the world's nations argued over what to do with them.

Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been contracted out to Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare – they will receive tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work. So far, they have failed; activation of the weaponry requires alien DNA.

The tension between the aliens and the humans comes to a head when an MNU field operative, Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), contracts a mysterious virus that begins changing his DNA. Wikus quickly becomes the most hunted man in the world, as well as the most valuable – he is the key to unlocking the secrets of alien technology. Ostracized and friendless, there is only one place left for him to hide: District 9.

You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Going tonight, I was a little apprehensive, but it's gotten excellent reviews all around.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Saw it earlier today. 8.5/10. Very, very solid movie. Wanted to rate it a 9/10 but the first 15-20 minutes or so seemed to drag on. After that it was an excellent film. And completely wide open for a sequel.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this tonight as well. Thought it was a pretty good movie but I went in with way too high of expectations and ended up not enjoying it as much as I could have, so I'll give it a 7-7.5/10. Agreed that the first part did drag a bit

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I saw it this afternoon...It was just very different. Not what I expected so it was nice to see something new in theaters, but it was also boring in parts. 7.5/10 is about right in my opinion.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Best movie of 2009.

Almost agree. I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I saw it last night.

My only complaint and it's a small one is that Wikus dropped way too many F bombs.

A great example of man's capacity for inhumanity.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Very good movie, definitely one of the better ones I have seen this year.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The movie was ok, but I gues I am in the minority, because I didn't really think it was "great"

I liked it, did not love it, and unfortunatly I went into it expecting to LOVE it so I was a little disappointed and let down...

worth seeing though

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
The movie was ok, but I gues I am in the minority, because I didn't really think it was "great"

I liked it, did not love it, and unfortunatly I went into it expecting to LOVE it so I was a little disappointed and let down...

worth seeing though
This.

Also agree with those who said the first part dragged. Different movie, worth seeing. Not one I'm going to actively try and watch again though.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Started off kind of...dumb

have it as a torrent so I stopped watching it

Let me guess? Shaky hand cam? I would hate to watch ANY movie like that. Especially District 9. (Which looked and sounded fantastic in the theater.)

Yes, it starts off slow. But it becomes an entirely different movie about 20 minutes or so in. I understand what they were trying to do in the beginning. Just wasn't that entertained. But it really takes off after the first 20 minutes.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
All I know is after the movie I went to my local Japanese spot and ate a boat load of of friend--I mean fried-- prawns.

Yummy, prawns...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the fact that the main character wasn't actually the hero. Christopher was the hero. Nice little juxtaposition for a morality tale, from a country that probably has a strong first-person knowledge of inhumanity. Thought every thing was strong from a filmmaking perspective, though South Afrikan accents can be difficult to maneuver for my ears at times.

Biggest complaint was the love affair exploding heads. Was like a chef who finds a fresh spice for an old dish and proceeds to overwhelm the dish with the spice until that's all you can taste. When I left the theater, I had to think really hard about what the story was about because all I could remember as I walked out what all those exploding heads. Felt a little bit like I'd just seen some war-front action. It was a bit like the first 20-minutes of Saving Private Ryan, only drawn out over the final 70 minutes of the movie.

AZZenny

Reaction score
What an unusual movie. Just saw it, and I liked it a lot -- 7.5 or 8/10. And yes, went out for shrimp tempura afterwards.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely craptastic. Could only handle 45 minutes before I Walked out.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Could only handle 45 minutes before I Walked out.

My wife was the same way. She had enough after 15 minutes or so.

I gutted it out, and I actually enjoyed it.

The actor playing Wikus did a really good job of bringing genuine quality of realism to the film, but I thought that Christopher's son was the coolest character in the movie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson