The 2009-10 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the "trade" is great too, short term. Artest is the far superior (yet crazier) player. Ariza has long term potential, but he's going to be stunted in Houston, IMO. Artest gives the Lakers a sick defensive 2-3 spot, with Pau and Bynum locking the inside down. Offensively, he's a better option and if HE gets the open looks that Ariza got, GOOD NIGHT!

Sign Odom now, and we get back to back...book it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we sign Odom and Shanwow, this is going to be one SICK team. Better offensively. Better defensively.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron:

I made my decision after I had lunch today with Dr. Buss, and I realized what a great organization I’m joining. I'm very, very excited to be a Laker. I look forward to helping the Lakers defend their championship, and it will be great to finally not get booed in the Staples Center.

:notworthy

it is gonna be fun!

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
That was really dumb of Ariza. Say goodbye to title hopes, and you make the same money you'd have made anyway.

And the Lakers sign Artest.

So, we basically made a trade. Odd.

Trevor, good luck my man.

I was thinking the same thing Donald, just really stupid of Ariza. He's going to make the exact same money he would have made in LA but have zero chance of winning a title.

The interesting thing will be to see how Ariza fares with being the best player on his team. I mean, if you think about it, with Yao and McGrady out, and Artest no longer there, Ariza is their second best player. I mean who else does the defense worry about other then Luis Scola?

Ariza got his numbers as a #3 or #4 option, how is he going to handle being the guy the defense focuses on? His easy open shots are a thing of the past playing for Houston. He won't have Kobe, Pau or Lamar to get him open shots anymore.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just as sad to see Ariza go as I was Caron Butler. I wish him much success.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Pretty good take on the situation. Ariza should fire Lee, like yesterday. Ariza and his agent way overplayed their hand, IMO.

Lakers look to Artest to fill dramatic role
By Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports

Kobe Bryant always admired that Ron Artest never acted like he wanted an autograph when duty demanded that he defend him. He loved that Artest was combustible and crazy and always left people wondering: Is this the moment when Ron-Ron loses his mind again, when all hell breaks loose?

Deep down, Bryant wanted Artest on his side. Artest gives a thirtysomething Kobe what Dennis Rodman gave a thirtysomething Michael Jordan: A belligerent, tough guy bearing the burden of protecting the superstar’s back.

And as far back as the Western Conference playoffs, the Lakers believed Artest wanted to trade Houston for Hollywood, that the Rockets’ decaying cornerstone of Yao Ming(notes) and Tracy McGrady(notes) turned that team into a temporary rehab assignment.

“If they couldn’t get Trevor [Ariza] cheap,” said a source with knowledge of the Lakers’ free-agent plans, “they had Ron in their back pocket.”

Change is good for a defending champion. When the rest of the NBA’s elite – Cleveland, Orlando and Boston are getting better – the champion can’t just stand pat. As an executive and a player chasing repeat titles, Detroit’s Joe Dumars says, “I like to make one significant change in that second year.”

This gives the Lakers something to incorporate, to work through, across a long training camp and regular season. This way, they aren’t tempted to just coast until the playoffs. This changes the dynamic for everyone, and give Artest this: Around him, there’s never complacency.

Bryant never campaigned for Artest over Ariza, his loyalty with the hot-shooting kid who helped him win a championship without Shaquille O’Neal(notes). In the long run, the Lakers were wiser to keep the young Ariza to transition into a post-Kobe stardom. Yet, general manager Mitch Kupchak barely blinked when Ariza’s agent, David Lee, started talking like a tough guy, parading his client on what one rival GM called “a leverage tour.”

The Lakers don’t believe he’ll leave, Lee kept barking. Surprise, surprise: Lee didn’t think the Lakers would tell him to get lost, sign Artest and leave Ariza to take the five-year, $33 million deal in Houston he could’ve had in L.A.

“I told Mitch that it was never about the money; it was about respect,” Lee told NBA.com.

Well, take your respect and pack your client’s bags for post-Yao lottery land in Houston. Respect? Yes, there are American soldiers and missionaries in faraway lands cheering for David Lee and this noble stand for the neglected and disenfranchised everywhere. It is about respect, and God knows a $33 million offer for Ariza’s eight points and four rebounds a game rates a disgraceful act.

No, this wasn’t about the money, nor his client’s needs. This was a failed power play, an embarrassment of the highest order. Looking back, Ariza will rue the day. He’s a good player, but he’ll never be a star elsewhere. He’ll just be another player on another team.

“He was way too emotional about this,” said a league executive who had talked to Lee in recent days.

Yet, you can be a star without being a star with the Lakers. When L.A. is winning championships, the role players become commodities. They get endorsements. They get television careers. Ask Rick Fox. Or Derek Fisher(notes). Ariza was an L.A. kid living a dream, 24 years old, a gifted, young talent on the defending champion, and his agent’s bluff backfired.

Now, Artest trades places with Ariza, and the Lakers get a dimension they haven’t had in a long, long time. Perhaps three or four years ago, Artest couldn’t have handled living and playing in L.A. He gives the Lakers sheer nastiness, and as an executive with one of his past teams said Thursday night, “Ronnie will show everyone that he can win. I think he’s matured, and overall, he’ll be on his best behavior. Phil [Jackson] has been through this before with Rodman. He’ll handle this.”

Ultimately, it wasn’t Jackson who made it work for two titles with Rodman in Chicago, but Jordan. The locker room is policed by the superstar, never the coach. Artest is the right player, right time for Bryant. As Kobe hits his 30s, he can’t be chasing the best player on defense every night. Now, Artest gets the job. What’s more, Kobe gets a maniac who will want to please him, get his approval. Anything is possible with Ron-Ron running roughshod in Los Angeles.

“I hope it’s chaos,” a Western Conference GM texted Thursday night.

And maybe, in some ways, that won’t be the worst thing in the world for the Lakers. Chaos? That’s letting your agent’s agenda and big mouth get your butt shipped from the Los Angeles Lakers for lottery land in Houston. Kobe Bryant had been willing to take back his whole team, but Ariza made the mistake of giving the Lakers what they always wanted, what they always believed was available to them: the combustible and crazy Ron Artest.

Kobe Bryant gets his Rodman now, and yes, this is how all hell breaks loose in Hollywood.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-artestkobe070309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Good article Renz, Ariza's agent is an idiot for sure. Too bad it ended up screwing over Ariza in the end, I really liked that guy. I agree though, the Lakers need some more attitude and Artest brings plenty of that.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Lakers pull Odom offer

LAS VEGAS -- Lamar Odom and the Los Angeles Lakers had reached an agreement on annual salary before the Lakers pulled out of contract talks with their versatile sixth man, sources with knowledge of the talks said on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN.com that Odom and the Lakers had reached an accord entering the weekend on a per-season wage of $9 million for the 29-year-old. But Odom balked at L.A.'s unwillingness to extend an offer spanning more than three years in length and spent the past few days weighing his options.

The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site earlier Tuesday night that Lakers owner Jerry Buss, upset that he was still waiting for Odom's response, has decided to take the offer off the table. Yet one source told ESPN.com that Odom was never given a deadline to accept or pass on the Lakers' three-year, $27 million pitch.

read on..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4328376

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom

I wonder how much validity this article has...

Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom

LAS VEGAS – Pat Riley has listened to Dwyane Wade(notes) express his unease with the Miami Heat sitting out the Eastern Conference’s arms race this summer. As the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic elevated themselves as championship contenders, the Heat president sold his superstar on patience, promising a plan to surround him with talent for the long run.

Now, the Heat are working furiously to deliver Lamar Odom(notes) and Carlos Boozer(notes) to the shores of Biscayne Bay. The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

The essentials of a possible deal would include Miami sending forward Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorell Wright to Utah. Because Memphis is under the cap, Utah could move Wright’s $2.8 million salary to the Grizzlies and save itself approximately $5.6 million with salary and luxury-tax payments. Memphis would probably get cash and picks for its trouble. The Heat would have to send one more small contract to make the math on the salary exchange work.

Miami could pay Boozer his $12.7 million salary this season and own his Bird rights to sign him to an extension next summer.

The deal isn’t considered imminent, but the Jazz are working hard to find a suitable trade for Boozer. Utah is determined to match the Portland Trail Blazers’ $32 million offer sheet for restricted free agent Paul Millsap(notes). Utah has until the end of the week to match or lose the young power forward to the Blazers. Most league executives believe that Utah will match the offer, regardless of whether they’ve moved Boozer.

Portland is still trying to pry Tayshaun Prince(notes) out of Detroit in a three-way deal with Utah, but Pistons president Joe Dumars hasn’t shown an inclination to move Prince and extend Boozer’s contract, league sources say. Several league executives are dubious of Boozer as a $14 million-a-year player, which his agent, Rob Pelinka, has told teams it will take to sign him to an extension. Miami could be the suitor willing to pay it.

The Los Angeles Lakers’ standoff with Odom is still fluid, but a source close to Odom insists he would probably only leave L.A. for Miami, not the Dallas Mavericks, who are also pursuing him. Odom’s agent is trying to get a five-year, $45 million deal out of the Lakers, who have offered four years and $36 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-odomboozer071509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers onlilne poster with pretty good credibility (has a credible "source" and has been right many times in the past) says that Lamar is about to sign the 4 year 36 million offer from the Lakers.

:fingerscrossed:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Odom will resign, it's just a question of when. He's not even talking to other teams and he's been in negotiations strictly with the Lakers. He's finally at the top of the mountain, he's not looking to head back to the bottom.

I would trust that info Donald, Odom will be a Laker when the season starts.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I think Odom will be back, but if not, a starting 5 of Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Fisher & Bynum is still good enough to repeat. Odom's departure would hurt the bench, but it wouldn't be a fatal blow by any means.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Report: Lamar called Dr. Buss Thursday
By Vincent Bonsignore on July 17, 2009 8:26 PM

Our good friend Jim Hill over at KCBS is reporting that Lamar Odom personally called Lakers' owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday to try and rebuild any bridges damaged by Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, during contract negotiations.

Dr. Buss pulled his last offer to Odom off the table earlier this week after Schwartz didn't respond back. Looks like Lamar might be taking charge of the negotiations, or at least trying to bring Dr. Buss and the Lakers back to the table.

Stay tuned.

http://blogs.dailynews.com/lakers/2009/07/report-lamar-called-dr-buss-to.html

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Report: Lamar called Dr. Buss Thursday
By Vincent Bonsignore on July 17, 2009 8:26 PM

Our good friend Jim Hill over at KCBS is reporting that Lamar Odom personally called Lakers' owner Dr. Jerry Buss Thursday to try and rebuild any bridges damaged by Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, during contract negotiations.

Dr. Buss pulled his last offer to Odom off the table earlier this week after Schwartz didn't respond back. Looks like Lamar might be taking charge of the negotiations, or at least trying to bring Dr. Buss and the Lakers back to the table.

Stay tuned.

http://blogs.dailynews.com/lakers/2009/07/report-lamar-called-dr-buss-to.html

Good news, hopefully it leads to them getting a deal done soon. Apparenly, Miami is after Odom as well, but I can't see why he would want to go there instead. If Buss and Odom are talking directly they should be able to get it done soon. The Lakers still want him back, and it's obvious by the fact that Odom isn't out talking to other teams that he wants to come back. They just need to make the numbers work, but I remain confident it will get done.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
:thumbup:
Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal
Updated: July 30, 2009, 4:59 PM ET
By J.A. Adande and Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Lamar Odom will return to the Los Angeles Lakers, according to an NBA source.

Odom will sign a four-year contract, with the fourth year at the Lakers' option.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the four-year deal is worth $33 million if the Lakers exercise the final year of the contract.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined comment. Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not return a message immediately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4367213

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers raise championship banner, get rings

By GREG BEACHAM (AP)
LOS ANGELES —

Nine former Los Angeles Lakers showed up to welcome the franchise's latest bunch of champions into their fraternity.

The Lakers received their rings and unveiled the franchise's 15th championship banner Tuesday night in a ceremony before their season opener against the Clippers.

NBA commissioner David Stern and Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss presented the rings before Derek Fisher led the sellout Staples Center crowd in a countdown to reveal the new banner.

Jerry West and Magic Johnson were among the representatives of Los Angeles' nine previous title teams. The Lakers also won five titles in Minneapolis.

Twelve members of last season's team are back with the Lakers this season.

----------------------------------

:jedi:

Go Lakers !!!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh. I can read the game thread on the Suns board but just can't bring myself to post in it. It seems like you have to believe in a league-wide conspiracy theory that puts everyone in the NBA against the Suns and for the Lakers in order to belong in the thread.

:rolleyes:

WTG Lakers !!!

Love the hook from Bynum. Powell and Brown strong off the bench too !!