Did You Ever Wonder Why ...

J4Cards

Veteran
Reaction score
QBs pat the ball with their nonthrowing hand just before passing? Doesn't that tip off to the D that the pass is imminent, thus giving the D some kind of advantage?

Folks, clue me in. I know it's the dumb question of the day, but I honestly don't know the answer.

J4Cards

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think its just how QBs are trained to settle the ball and grip the laces before making a throw. I think it also gives them more confidence if they hold and control the ball using both hands.

Otherwise they will have to start to pat the ball on running plays also, I think some QBs do especially on those delays and draw plays.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Moreover, have you ever noticed that right before Kurt is about to take a snap, his right leg goes back about a foot's length? Im sure pass rushers have caught on to that, but he has such a quick release, it does not matter.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Why do they put that non-throwing hand up out in front of them like a dancer? Is that a sighting thingy?? THey all seem to do that!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with grip, when your holding the ball with one hand the whole time, it gets a little slippery. When you pat the ball with your other hand, it allows your fingers to get a better grip. That's what i do anyways, not sure if that's the real reason.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I always wondered why Jake Plummer licked his hands after he threw the ball.... or when he came up from center, which creeped me out

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
I would think its a combination of these things in timing and a better grip.. I may have only played powderpuff football, but I,m an all around athlete, and that's why I do it.