Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
WIZ...................finaly got his way , He wanted to cut Hodel last year after he got rid of player, especially since they wer both player's reps for the union..........each coach tries to make a statement to the rest of the roster

That cant be any more inccorect. First it was during Wiz tenure that Hodel got a new contract. He wanted to always get rid of him yet signed him to a new 4 year deal? Next Player sucks and couldnt find a job after leaving whih proves a such. Finally Wiz practices are not even close to anything even to worry about with the players reps. The player reps would love the way we dont hit or play in pads in practices.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That cant be any more inccorect. First it was during Wiz tenure that Hodel got a new contract. He wanted to always get rid of him yet signed him to a new 4 year deal? Next Player sucks and couldnt find a job after leaving whih proves a such. Finally Wiz practices are not even close to anything even to worry about with the players reps. The player reps would love the way we dont hit or play in pads in practices.
HOW DARE YOU SAY ONE-BAR SUCKS.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Next Player sucks and couldnt find a job after leaving whih proves a such.

About time somebody said that...Player was a below average punter who couldn't directional punt to save his life.

TJAM

Registered
Reaction score
Joe...............It was not Wiz who offered the 4 year deal, and now with the Superbowl in his back pocket.....................he,s got more clout................and now you see the worth of a any multi year deal........not the paper it;s written on.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Anyone find out yet why Hodel was released? :mad:
It makes no sense to cut a player that has never missed a game, was quality at what he did, and didn't really cost anthing anyways. :(

I do agree with the signings of the other players tho.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Everybody that's poo-pooing the cutting of Hodel, go ahead and ask the Cowboys what lacking a perfectly consistent long snapper can do to your season. Yeah, it's rare, but it happens. If this was a cap move that saved us, like, even a million in cap space, okay. To cut him for no apparent reason is just not smart.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Whats done is done. I hope they find someone on the roster who can double as a LS and another position on the field, plus help out on ST coverage.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Remember when Trey Junkin blew a snap on an extra point and cost the Giants a playoff game against the 49ers? I sure do. They lost 39-38, all they had to do was kick an extra point and the game goes to OT.

Garcia and Owens led the way for the 49ers, though Giants long snapper Trey Junkin also helped out with two terrible snaps in a monumental momentum shift that wrung every drop of emotion out of a sellout crowd at Candlestick Park.

So yeah a long snapper can affect the outcome of a game. Hodel replaced Junkin BTW and Junkin went off on the organization--so I was happy when he fell on his face in the playoffs.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Why in god's name was Pope tendered? I said a couple of years ago this guy won't amount to squat because you CAN'T COACH DUMB! Pope and Vince Young are neck and neck in a race for dumbest NFL players.

Also, why is Alan Branch still holding a roster spot? Talk about a waste of money and talent.....they cut Hodel but kept Branch? I don't get it.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why in god's name was Pope tendered? I said a couple of years ago this guy won't amount to squat because you CAN'T COACH DUMB! Pope and Vince Young are neck and neck in a race for dumbest NFL players.

Also, why is Alan Branch still holding a roster spot? Talk about a waste of money and talent.....they cut Hodel but kept Branch? I don't get it.
I was wondering when you were going to chime in... :D

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Joe...............It was not Wiz who offered the 4 year deal, and now with the Superbowl in his back pocket.....................he,s got more clout................and now you see the worth of a any multi year deal........not the paper it;s written on.

So you dont think Wiz had any say so what so ever in who the teams signs or doesnt sign?

Also Hodel's contract was worth a lot of paper. 400k to be exact. he negotiated a 400K signing bonus for a 4 year contract. Guess what he made that in just one year and can now sign with another team and get another signing bonus. The only thing a cut player misses out on is their future base salaries, which they will make when they sign with another team, along with the added bonuses of getting yet another bonus. The player is not left out in the cold and walk away with a lot of money in their pocket. The woe is the players act is getting old. They are the ones that sign the contract and they are the ones who voted for the current structure of the CBA allowing the teams to cut them. So if we still want to use the woe is the players act which is false you can only blame the players for being in that situation in the first place.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And still almost everyone's calling Q an *** for not honoring his contract.

I call him an ass because he speaks out in the media and badmouths the organization. He speaks when he should shut up. He should let his agent do the talking. (which Rosenhaus has no problem doing) If he wants to do the talking, he should represent himself.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the same brain trust that messed with their ackknowledged headcase placekicker by cutting his long-time holder, and scrambled for more than a year to find a viable replacement. Now they've cut the reliable longsnapper who gets the ball to the holder? Is there a DENSA for football coaches and GMs? If so, these knuckleheads should be honored guests at their annual meeting. "Pennywise and pound foolish."

If the salary cap is so tight that they can't pay Hodel the modest salary he's earned, then the team is in big trouble. Rod Graves has never impressed me as an astute GM. Remember the 2003 draft fiasco? He's only still got the job because Mr. B rewards loyalty over competence.

I don't want the front office to be patsies and cave in to player's demands if they're unreasonable (Q, I mean you), but they have to be smarter than this.

Leonard Pope is a waste of a roster spot. Did anybody else see his play in the SB, when the bonehead almost kept Fitz out of the end zone? That guy has a football IQ of 0. He does not belong on an NFL team. He should get Kurt Warner's old job of stocking groceries -- he can reach the top shelf.

Speaking of KW, both sides need to compromise on an incentivized two-year deal. $12 mil guaranteed, and $20 mil overall. Progressive bonuses for playoffs and Pro Bowl. Bada boom, bada bing. Done.

I still don't get why they franchised Dansby ... again. No Pro Bowls, no double-digit sack totals ... what am I missing? I think this is their old fear of losing a decent player to free agency causing an overreaction. "The Core" be damned -- consistently good teams accept as a fact of life that they'll lose some good players each year. The solution is drafting well and making smart free agent signings of your own every year. Alas, that's never been a hallmark of "The Cardinal Way." Some things never change.

Edge? Let him go already. You can't bench a guy for half the season then expect him not to be ticked off about it. One game, maybe and you've made your point. Hey, Marcel Shipp is available. LOL

Alan Branch is a big, fat, lazy, unproductive, inactive SOB. Why is he still on the roster? Get him out.

J4Cards

You get today's first prize in the... those who can post on message boards, and those who can't manage, coach and play the game... sweepstakes.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Harley, tendering him does not mean he'll make the team. He can be cut in training camp if needs be without much cost, if I'm not mistaken. All we did by tendering him is give ourselves a leg up on other teams in employing him this year.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Harley, tendering him does not mean he'll make the team. He can be cut in training camp if needs be without much cost, if I'm not mistaken. All we did by tendering him is give ourselves a leg up on other teams in employing him this year.

Good call, wasn't thinking about that. :thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the case of Nathan Hodel, he has not yet signed elsewhere and we also do not know if the Cards have another guy in mind they like better.

Watching it play out will be interesting to me. It is annoying to many of you and that too is entertaining to watch on this board. This time of year most NFL message boards, not just this one, are taken over by draftniks and moaners who hate everything GMs do or do not do.

Some posters can't stand the negativism and disappear for a while. Others thrive on it. I just skip a bunch of the threads or don't participate in many others I do read.

It is still wonderful that we have a place to do all this and it does not cost a thing. So have at it. All ye who disagree with me are goofamingos.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the case of Nathan Hodel, he has not yet signed elsewhere and we also do not know if the Cards have another guy in mind they like better.

Watching it play out will be interesting to me. It is annoying to many of you and that too is entertaining to watch on this board. This time of year most NFL message boards, not just this one, are taken over by draftniks and moaners who hate everything GMs do or do not do.

Some posters can't stand the negativism and disappear for a while. Others thrive on it. I just skip a bunch of the threads or don't participate in many others I do read.

It is still wonderful that we have a place to do all this and it does not cost a thing. So have at it. All ye who disagree with me are goofamingos.

:thumbup:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ask the New York Giants about Trey Junkin and how important a long snapper is

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Watching it play out will be interesting to me.
This plus the fact that they didn't tender Pat Ross makes me suspect the very same thing - they may have a FA center locked up who can long snap (and/or may feel very confident that they're sure to get one of the 4 or 5 very good centers in the draft - assuming of course they all can long snap).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA