Breaking News: Suns near deal with Matt Barnes

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am speechless. Barnes isn't all-world or anything, but I figured he would command more than the minimum. This is a coup by the Suns if this is indeed true--he's becoming a solid all-around player and with minutes should do very well with us. So it looks like our second unit is going to be Lopez/Diaw/Barnes in the frontcourt. That's not too bad--got some defense there and some scoring pop assuming Diaw isn't passive and Barbosa is still with us.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am speechless. Barnes isn't all-world or anything, but I figured he would command more than the minimum. This is a coup by the Suns if this is indeed true--he's becoming a solid all-around player and with minutes should do very well with us. So it looks like our second unit is going to be Lopez/Diaw/Barnes in the frontcourt. That's not too bad--got some defense there and some scoring pop assuming Diaw isn't passive and Barbosa is still with us.

Barnes may lead that group of three in rebounding if he receives comparable minutes.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is an exciting minimum signing. I would have thought he would get a LLE somewhere, or something to that effect.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Its now being reported on Suns.com, so I think we can toss the 'assuming its true' out the window- its true!

damo

Registered
Reaction score
Sucks for Tucker, but great signing all things considered.
Until an article comes out tomorrow saying he's signed for more in Charlotte or some junk.

Edit: Scratch that, didn't see that up there.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
My read on it is that Barnes is going to be mostly at SF and Tucker at SG. We keep hearing that Tucker is a lot shorter than his listed size.

Someone suggested that Barnes MIGHT b a kind of "Marion Lite". He's very atheletic, finishes well, and is a solid rebounder. I don't expect his defense to be at Marion's level (or close), but he could be similar to Marion in being a streaky three point shooter that requires guarding..

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I only wish the SUNS would've locked this guy up long-term somehow. I'm telling you guys....he's going to have a breakout season and will command alot of attention next year.
*no jinx

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I only wish the SUNS would've locked this guy up long-term somehow. I'm telling you guys....he's going to have a breakout season and will command alot of attention next year.
*no jinx

That's WHY he signed. Some buys like Rose have come here an failed. But the list of guys who signed for minimum that went on is bigger things include Steven Hunter, Tim Thomas, and Gordan Giricek.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, really a shocking news!

Barnes supposed to be a MLE guy! Pietrus got full MLE in Orlando, his performance was about same good as Barnes in regular season, and Barnes was way better in playoff!

How could Kerr got him by Veteran Minimal?? That's really really amazing!!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great signing in Barnes i'm happy just like everyone hopefully he can bring some rebounding,energy, and denfense for us in the playoffs :) can't believe we got him for this price very nice

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good signing. Barnes must be thinking one year alongside Steve Nash will earn him a bigger contract from someone next year. He's probably right too.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Great addition considering the price. I just hope that coach Porter doesn't envision him as a power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Barnes is a great value signing. The East Valley Tribune article by Jerry Brown acts like it is a done deal. I know the link has already has been mentioned but here is what caught my eye from the article.

The Suns put a shot of adrenaline into their team and what had been a sleepy free-agency period by signing ex-Golden State small forward Matt Barnes to a one-year contract.

“He’s the perfect player for us, an athletic guy who runs the floor, finishes at the basket and can shoot the outside shot,” Suns general manager Steve Kerr said. “He’s also a guy who has had big games in the playoffs for Golden State and likes the big stage.”

I also found the mention of the PG situation encouraging.

Kerr said he remains optimistic that second-round pick Goran Dragic can be a Sun in the fall, despite his comments last week to a Spanish newspaper that he expects to play for Tau Ceramica. “That’s not a door we’ve closed by any means,” he said.

There could be some definitive news on the Dragic situation within a week.
Sam Cassell, Damon Stoudamire and Jason Williams also remain as free-agent possibilities as a veteran backup to Nash.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/121245

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good signing, but what the hell with the back up PG?? Put some priority where it should be on backup PG!!!!!!!!!!!