NEW: Another Spurs Signing That Will Come Back To Sting

Sunsman43

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53493/20080709/spurs_sign_roger_mason/

Spurs just signed youngster combo-guard stud from Washington, Roger Mason.

You see, certain moves go unrecognized in the NBA and in the media. It is these moves that end up haunting opponents.

Brandon Bass, anyone? Yup. He had an amazing year with the Mavs - and nobody knew his name.

Jamario Moon, anyone? Who? He too had an amazing year with the Raptors. A slam-dunk king and a starting small forward.

Ime Udoka, anyone? Oh yeah. Spurs got him last year and he ended up playing some killer defense down the stretch.

Leon Powe, anyone? Hmm. Some 2nd round scrub who got an extension from the Celts. BTW - he killed the Lakers and won a championship.

Now, consider this latest signing to be the silent killer move of the season: Roger Mason to Spurs will really hurt the Suns. Not only do they have Bruce Bowen to wear out Nash, but now they have an over-sized point guard to wear him out..........that is, after Tony Parker and Manu have done their job.

Ugh.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Roger Mason did a nice job this year, but did not show much his previous three years. Hoopshype gives him a positive writeup except that he is described as not being very athletic.

http://hoopshype.com/players/roger_mason.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------
Every year there are guys that nobody heard of that makes good. Unfortunately, the sad part is that most nobodys stay that way.

The Bass situation was a bit odd. He was the 33rd pick in the 2005 draft. Draft Express points out that he is 6'7.75" and was taken after his sophomore year.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Bass-53/

His first two years were undistinugished:

2005-06 2.3 ppg, 40% shooting, 2.3 rpg in 9.2 minutes (total of 268 minutes)
2006-07 2.0 ppg 34.1% shooting 2.0 rpg in 7.7 minutes (total of 162 minutes)

His rebounding was acceptable, but not remarkable. Overall, his stay with the Hornets was very undistinguished. I'll give the Mavs people credit, I'd have never figured he'd turn his game around so quickly, although his rebounding per minute is lower.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Leon Powe? My God, the guy has one good game and everyone is making him out to be this great steal.

A scrub is still a scrub, even when he scores 21 points in a single game and returns to anonymity the next.

OP
OP
S

Sunsman43

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Leon Powe? My God, the guy has one good game and everyone is making him out to be this great steal.

A scrub is still a scrub, even when he scores 21 points in a single game and returns to anonymity the next.

Either you are a Leon Powe hater who has a personal grudge against this fine athlete -OR- you are jealous the Suns cannot find cheap, hidden gems to sign or draft and hence why they run up their salary cap with junk players.

I think scouting, both rookies and offseason for free agents, is extremely important. If you have fantastic scouting and a below-average coaching staff - you can still win a championship. Just look at the Spurs.

However, if you have horrible scouting and a decent or good coaching staff, you won't get out of the first round or so. Just look at the Suns.

Enough said.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Powe fell in the draft because of history of injuries. He's sure not as obscure as Mason.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Sunsman, aren't you the one who said the Suns wouldn't even make the playoffs last year?

For some reason I have a hard time believing your talent evaluation skills are top notch.

We'll see, though.

OP
OP
S

Sunsman43

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For some reason I have a hard time believing your talent evaluation skills are top notch.

We'll see, though.

Talent evaluation skills?

Just go check Roger Mason's statistics on ESPN with the Wizards. Add that to the fact he is playing for the Spurs - who somehow transform every scrub's career into a valuable role player - and you have yourself a golden signing by the Spurs.

Yet another player Suns have to worry about off the bench for the Spurs.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Just go check Roger Mason's statistics on ESPN with the Wizards. Add that to the fact he is playing for the Spurs - who somehow transform every scrub's career into a valuable role player - and you have yourself a golden signing by the Spurs.

They sure turned Damon Stoudamire into a productive player last year didn't they?

This guy may turn out alright for them, but to say that they turn other people's trash into gold all the time is ludicrous.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I wouldn't be overly excited about Rodger Mason for over $3.5 million per season. He is a good defender, and when he got some minutes he shot the ball pretty well. He is a shooting guard though. If you get him in the game manager point guard there better be somebody else in there who can create. He's a nice eighth man off the bench or something like that.

Joe

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know. I wouldn't be overly excited about Rodger Mason for over $3.5 million per season. He is a good defender, and when he got some minutes he shot the ball pretty well. He is a shooting guard though. If you get him in the game manager point guard there better be somebody else in there who can create. He's a nice eighth man off the bench or something like that.

Joe

No kidding. Ginobili will log BIG minutes, so Mason won't be that big of a problem, even when he's playing well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

i'm saving this to replace the name "Leon Powe" with "Robin Lopez" and quote it to you next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

dude also played pretty well against the suns last year. in 2 games:

16.5 pts
13-26 .500 fg%
7-15 .467 3fg%
4 rebs
1 assist
1.5 stls
1.5 TOs

not happy to see him joining the spurs. he's better than damon or jacques vaughn. which means they're better.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy averaged 9.1 PPG in what could be called his first OK year. He played about 20 MPG because of injuries. He will not get 20 MPG on the Spurs with Parker and G-floppy out there. So basically we can look for this guy to come off the bench and put in a couple buckets per game?? I think you overstating this guys impact. He won't even be on the floor long enough to play defense in long stretches.

No offense but I would rather sign a backup PG then this guy back up our 2. We need a backup PG more. If you want to look at impact regardless of position then again then let's assume we get Tyrone Lue.

He shoots for a better percentage from the floor and at the 3 Point line. Averaged about 1 assist less per game playing HALF the minutes. Has basically the same career average in steals per game. If Lue had played more minutes I think it's safe to say he would have had close to identical numbers.

The NBA is full of guys who can get these numbers. So what if the Suns missed out on this guy. There is a bunch more out there the Suns can get just like him. If we get Lue then IMO we did counter that move.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Another smart, craft signing by the Spurs. Mason can shoot, and is an athletic 1/2. He's just now coming into his own. The Wizards will miss him.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Maggette on the Spurs worried me, because he's always given the Suns trouble. Mason is a guy with one good season and average athelticism.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This guy averaged 9.1 PPG in what could be called his first OK year. He played about 20 MPG because of injuries. He will not get 20 MPG on the Spurs with Parker and G-floppy out there. So basically we can look for this guy to come off the bench and put in a couple buckets per game?? I think you overstating this guys impact. He won't even be on the floor long enough to play defense in long stretches.

No offense but I would rather sign a backup PG then this guy back up our 2. We need a backup PG more. If you want to look at impact regardless of position then again then let's assume we get Tyrone Lue.

He shoots for a better percentage from the floor and at the 3 Point line. Averaged about 1 assist less per game playing HALF the minutes. Has basically the same career average in steals per game. If Lue had played more minutes I think it's safe to say he would have had close to identical numbers.

The NBA is full of guys who can get these numbers. So what if the Suns missed out on this guy. There is a bunch more out there the Suns can get just like him. If we get Lue then IMO we did counter that move.

i don't think anyone is arguing that WE'RE missing out, but rather pointing out a good signing for the spurs. there IS a difference there, you know?

is he better than vaughn/damon? likely, yes. that improves their team. that's all this thread is about (or at the very least, all i'm willing to concede).

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sunsman43? Sunsmann44? Great just when you thought the board was decent again. Anyway so what this is a scrub signing onto an over the hill Spurs team big deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sunsman43? Sunsmann44? Great just when you thought the board was decent again. Anyway so what this is a scrub signing onto an over the hill Spurs team big deal.

lol, an over the hill spurs team that knocked out our suns in 5 games in the first round, and just got a tiny bit younger with this signing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think anyone is arguing that WE'RE missing out, but rather pointing out a good signing for the spurs. there IS a difference there, you know?

is he better than vaughn/damon? likely, yes. that improves their team. that's all this thread is about (or at the very least, all i'm willing to concede).

The thread starter specifically stated "Signing That Will Come Back to Sting the Suns". That seems a little different to me then saying "good signing Spurs". :shrug:

Maybe I just read into. Just seemed silly to me for a player that probably won't get much playing time. If we get Lue then it's a push.

OP
OP
S

Sunsman43

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ohh stop it with your nonsense rubbish again.

The bottom line is this - as some people already mentioned above:

-Spurs just got better, younger. Check the stats yourself.
-Spurs just upgraded from Vaughn/Damon to Mason.
-Spurs, as "over-the-hill" as you claim they are, haved kicked the Suns' butt with pre Roger Mason roster and don't see how they cannot kick the Suns butt with this fine Roger Mason upgrade.

Now what is your argument?

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your a goofball, the Spurs did not kick the Suns butt as you say this year they squeaked by the Suns. The Spurs got a SCRUB, here real slow for you Sunsmann they got a SSCCCRRRUUUBBB not real concerned about it. We now know the Spurs aren't really the power in the west anyway, we should be readying our team to play the Hornets, Jazz, Lakers, Portland and the rest of the west. The Spurs had their run its about to be over. We don't even know what are team is yet so to proclaim this move is anything besides the Spurs signing a scrub that replaces another scrub is going to hurt us is just stupid.

nowagimp

Reaction score
If the spurs dont resign KT, they did not improve their team, it just got worse, mason or not. Without KT boarding and helping out on D with shaq and amare, the spurs cant beat the suns. I would just love to see POPs forced to defend either amare or shaq with oberto for 30 minutes a night. And I understand pat riley is interested in KT to play some post defense for that heat team that has NO center. I think KT will get the PT and perhaps do better than the veteran min in miami.

nikko

Reaction score
If the spurs dont resign KT, they did not improve their team, it just got worse, mason or not. Without KT boarding and helping out on D with shaq and amare, the spurs cant beat the suns. I would just love to see POPs forced to defend either amare or shaq with oberto for 30 minutes a night. And I understand pat riley is interested in KT to play some post defense for that heat team that has NO center. I think KT will get the PT and perhaps do better than the veteran min in miami.

Spurs fan here.

I am agree with you, the Spurs need to resign KT.
Spurs will offer him a 4/5 mil/year contract for 2 years... not the veteran minimum !

Don't forget that the Spurs have also a new young athletic PF/C : Ian Mahinmi.

And the Spurs have drafted a promising athletic PG : George Hill. He's better than Vaughn.
George Hill Highlights :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEb3MS8bK24

Mason defense >>>> Finley defense.
Mason offense > Finley offense.

So i would say, the Spurs did improve their team... Not much, but they are younger and more athletic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson