Legal moves in Donaghy case

nowagimp

Reaction score
Here is an interesting article on the Donaghy case. it appears that Donaghys federal testimony was impounded, not accessible to the public. The public letter that Donaghys lawyer sent is the only source of his testimony available to the public. the letter only came out in response to the NBA's insistence on 1 million in restitution for the damages of the scandal(highly unusual in a case where money wasnt stolen). Before the NBAs insistence on restitution, Donaghy was probably going to see a reduced sentence of a few years, but his inability to pay restitution would keep him in prison and prevent that. The response of Donaghys lawyer was to send this public letter -a means to hit the NBA back for trying to prevent his reduced sentence- by releasing information to the public that was previously not available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=3436503

the interesting thing is that now it is uncertain whether the NBA broke any laws if they rigged games, but the public letter opens up the "pandoras box" of possible investigations in cities where the allegations took place.

I guess the NBA's lawyers werent as smart as they thought they were as none of this happens if they dont try to screw Donaghy. Surely the damage of this public letter far exceeds 1M, and getting to screw Donaghy may come at a pretty high price.

Last edited:

CardinalsFan11

Registered
Reaction score
The NBA was so close to getting out from under this scandal almost completely unharmed. I can't believe they couldn't foresee the consequences of asking for $1M in restitution. Looks like it might be time to hire a few new lawyers.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I was just about to post an interview Henry Abbott did with a professional gambler. He makes an interesting point about a game we were all up in arms about, back in January 2, 2006, Suns v. Knicks. That game was egregious. Donaghy worked that game:

"[Q]Be very interested in your reaction to the retroactive analysis here. Does that jive with your own?
[A]As far as the retroactive analysis in the article you linked to goes, some of the line moves that are mentioned the line moves were due to injuries. After the scandal broke I have done a lot of research regarding what games were likely fixed and which ones weren't. I have also made some contacts with some bookmakers who have given me information on some of the games Donaghy bet -- some of the stuff in that article is just conjecture and speculation, but some of it is accurate.

I can say with a large degree of certainty that this game was one of the more blatant fixes. That Phoenix vs. New York game was a game that I was told was bet by the crew associated with [alleged Donaghy co-conspirator James "Baa Baa"] Batista, it was also a game where Phoenix shot 14 free throws in regulation and New York shot 36.

There aren't that many games in the last five or six years where a team had a 20 point free throw edge. In a sample of 6,373 games I show there being 167 games where the home team shot 20 more free throws than the visiting team, and 78 where the visiting team shot more. I hate trotting out numbers to prove my point because you can cherry-pick whatever statistics you want, but I think if someone with an objective eye goes and watches this game, focusing on Donaghy especially they'll come away thinking that it was pretty clear the Knicks got a huge advantage in the game."

Here's the link to the interview: http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thing will go to Congress, no question.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

thank god. someone has to look into this. leave items such as rising unemployment rates, education, world peace to organizations better suited to deal with those issues!

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Under this very topic on the ESPN boards, I went into detail that talked about Stern's reaction to the allegations. Stern said that an investigation has happened and there isn't any evidence that any fixing or gambling by HIS refs other than Donaghy. Here's what I wrote:

Why does it matter if STERN has had anything investigated? He's the main culprit. Any investigation into fixing games or malpractice by the league, wether it be concerning officiating or Lottery standings, would have to be done by an outside agency, ala Senate or Congress arranged investigation like the whole steroids thing in MLB. Stern can say that it was all investigated and unfounded, but true basketball fans, no matter their team affiliation, knows by watching teams play, that there are some crazy calls and no calls that happen EVERY game. Their hasn't been a SMALL market team win the Championship under Sterns regime. The only team that you could even consider calling a small market team to win the Championship would be Miami. I think that had more to do with the fact that Stern hates Mark Cuban and wanted to add fire to the whole Shaq-Kobe feud. Everyone knew this summer, once Boston was able to "ACQUIRE" Ray Allen AND Kevin Garnett that Boston would make the Finals. Who better to play against the Celtics in the NBA Finals, then the Lakers. The Lakers were a team I watched as much as possible to see how the refs called the games to see if there was any fixing or odd calls or mass of calls for the Lakers. During the year the Lakers were getting a MASS amount of calls in their favor. Once Bynum went down with injury, the Lakers-Celtics revival in the Finals was tarnished, the Lakers miraculously get Gasol in a MAJOR lopsided deal? There isn't a GM in the league that would've signed off on that deal from the Grizzlies standpoint. The surprising thing to me was that Memphis didn't get the #1 or #2 pick as compensation from Stern and his cronies. Imagine that, the Bulls (another one of the Major Market teams needed MAJOR help to get to the ELITE level again, had a 17% chance of getting the top pick and BAM they get the top pick.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you sure? All those wealthy owners wear Teflon suits. None of this would be done without their complicity. I just want to see Stern go down.

OP
OP
N

nowagimp

Reaction score
Under this very topic on the ESPN boards, I went into detail that talked about Stern's reaction to the allegations. Stern said that an investigation has happened and there isn't any evidence that any fixing or gambling by HIS refs other than Donaghy. Here's what I wrote:

Why does it matter if STERN has had anything investigated? He's the main culprit. Any investigation into fixing games or malpractice by the league, wether it be concerning officiating or Lottery standings, would have to be done by an outside agency, ala Senate or Congress arranged investigation like the whole steroids thing in MLB. Stern can say that it was all investigated and unfounded, but true basketball fans, no matter their team affiliation, knows by watching teams play, that there are some crazy calls and no calls that happen EVERY game. Their hasn't been a SMALL market team win the Championship under Sterns regime. The only team that you could even consider calling a small market team to win the Championship would be Miami. I think that had more to do with the fact that Stern hates Mark Cuban and wanted to add fire to the whole Shaq-Kobe feud. Everyone knew this summer, once Boston was able to "ACQUIRE" Ray Allen AND Kevin Garnett that Boston would make the Finals. Who better to play against the Celtics in the NBA Finals, then the Lakers. The Lakers were a team I watched as much as possible to see how the refs called the games to see if there was any fixing or odd calls or mass of calls for the Lakers. During the year the Lakers were getting a MASS amount of calls in their favor. Once Bynum went down with injury, the Lakers-Celtics revival in the Finals was tarnished, the Lakers miraculously get Gasol in a MAJOR lopsided deal? There isn't a GM in the league that would've signed off on that deal from the Grizzlies standpoint. The surprising thing to me was that Memphis didn't get the #1 or #2 pick as compensation from Stern and his cronies. Imagine that, the Bulls (another one of the Major Market teams needed MAJOR help to get to the ELITE level again, had a 17% chance of getting the top pick and BAM they get the top pick.

Two things:

1) the spurs are a relatively small market teama ndhave won a few times

2) I thought the bulls chances were quoted at 2% or 1/50, just incredible that they got the #1.

the rest I can agree with. I suspect that if the league manipulates(am I still saying if??) they are cognizant to some degree of suspicious patterns in their manipulations, so they will tend to hide them a bit(and I think they do) if they are not morons.

another thing, great defense is alot easier with alot of no calls, and this is the part of the game that is hardest to track objectively for suspicious behavior. How would you count the no calls, not too easy(no stat for no calls). This is why I suspect that the use of no calls is the most powerful manipulative tool.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Although this is true, the state of Texas has almost 1/10th of the population of the United States. If even a tenth of that is interested in watching them, much less a 3rd of the state, which is what the NBA would hope for, that is still a massive amount of people. Obviously this didn't reflect in the ratings of the Finals they played in, but you can see where a bean-counter type might it see it that way. You can also surmise that there might be a reason to believe that non-market people will tune in, just to root against them, based on their reputation across the league.

OP
OP
N

nowagimp

Reaction score
Although this is true, the state of Texas has almost 1/10th of the population of the United States. If even a tenth of that is interested in watching them, much less a 3rd of the state, which is what the NBA would hope for, that is still a massive amount of people. Obviously this didn't reflect in the ratings of the Finals they played in, but you can see where a bean-counter type might it see it that way. You can also surmise that there might be a reason to believe that non-market people will tune in, just to root against them, based on their reputation across the league.

OK, I agree that texas with its 26M people is hardly a small market compared with the 6 mil in AZ.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
That January 2nd Knick game was rigged. There is no doubt in my mind.

And, I would bet my life that MANY more games were rigged by DIFFERENT referees. The mob didn't just spin a web on 1 referee.

A clean sweep of every ref in ther league will be needed before this is over and done with. This will be the only assurance to Congress that this matter is being met head on. It sucks for the good guys, but needs to be done.

Just wait until more information comes out about his little soldiers in suits. This will end up being David Stern's legacy.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
And, I would bet my life that MANY more games were rigged by DIFFERENT referees. The mob didn't just spin a web on 1 referee.

A clean sweep of every ref in ther league will be needed before this is over and done with. This will be the only assurance to Congress that this matter is being met head on. It sucks for the good guys, but needs to be done

Eddie F. Rush needs to be first in line. That guy has made some really, really questionable calls in the past, most notoriously in the Spurs/Suns game that Donaghy also reffed. I am surprised he still gets to officiate games.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Eddie F. Rush needs to be first in line. That guy has made some really, really questionable calls in the past, most notoriously in the Spurs/Suns game that Donaghy also reffed. I am surprised he still gets to officiate games.

I say Tony Brothers. At one point a few years ago, he was worse than Donaghy. Wish I had the games to go back on and view.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

The inherent policy for any professional sport is that no one should know the name of any of the officials on the court/field/ice. When their names keep popping up, that means they are doing something overtly wrong.

Eddie Rush is just one example of someone's name that keeps popping up due to incompetence. Others include Violet Palmer (not because she is a girl, but because she sucks) and Joey Crawford.

The only reason I know about Dick Bavetta was because of the race against Barkley at last years All Star game. Other than that, he keeps his name out of controversy.

I hope there is an independent investigation into this. Too many fans are being ripped off by the unscrupulous doings of the league. If someone conducts an independent investigation, start the "shot clock" on David Stern's career

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Two things:

2) I thought the bulls chances were quoted at 2% or 1/50, just incredible that they got the #1.

the rest I can agree with. I suspect that if the league manipulates(am I still saying if??) they are cognizant to some degree of suspicious patterns in their manipulations, so they will tend to hide them a bit(and I think they do) if they are not morons.

another thing, great defense is alot easier with alot of no calls, and this is the part of the game that is hardest to track objectively for suspicious behavior. How would you count the no calls, not too easy(no stat for no calls). This is why I suspect that the use of no calls is the most powerful manipulative tool.

#1. San Antonio by US Markets is a relatively small market yes, however you add in all their International Market value and they are up there with LA, Chicago and New York.

#2. Chicago actually has a 1.7% chance to gain the 1st pick.
Coming off a miserable season and still without a coach, the Bulls vaulted from the No. 9 spot, where they had just a 1.7 percent chance of landing the top choice. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3405648

CaptainInsano

Reaction score

Agreed. If any ref could be a potential Tim Donagy part 2, Eddie F. Rush is the #1 candidate on the list.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I remember in the infamous youtube vid (6:05 into the film) from the suns spurs matchup last year, there was as clip of nash driving to the basket and he gets hacked by 3 spurs players, two on the arm and one on the head, Eddie Rush is facing nash from 4 feet away and starts brushing his hands back and forth indicating that there was no contact. Blew my mind.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How is David Stern going to show his face in Phoenix next year at the all star game?
Via satellite........
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

"Congratulations to the city of Phoenix for hosting the 2009 NBA all-star game,and further more etc........."

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Via satellite........
You must be registered for see images

"Congratulations to the city of Phoenix for hosting the 2009 NBA all-star game,and further more etc........."

Stern will not be able to get a single word off because the boos will be so loud. He would be a wise man to just not show up to this event and let his lackies do the work for him

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember in the infamous youtube vid (6:05 into the film) from the suns spurs matchup last year, there was as clip of nash driving to the basket and he gets hacked by 3 spurs players, two on the arm and one on the head, Eddie Rush is facing nash from 4 feet away and starts brushing his hands back and forth indicating that there was no contact. Blew my mind.

That brought back some horrible memories. Here's a good Bavetta ECF screwup.