Hill May Retire

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/115171

Suns notebook: Nash’s 3 turnovers in last 2 minutes hurt

Jerry Brown, Scott Bordow, Tribune The Suns turned to their two-time Most Valuable Player in the closing minutes of Game 5 Tuesday. For one of the few times in his career, Steve Nash didn’t respond.

SLIDESHOW: See photos from Game 5

Nash committed three turnovers in the final two minutes of Phoenix’s 92-87 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

The uncharacteristic finish ended an uncharacteristic game for Nash, who made just 4 of 16 shots and had more turnovers (five) than assists (three).

“I know I made a couple of key turnovers that cost us,” Nash said.

Suns coach Mike D’Antoni believes Nash was thrown off when Phoenix ran its offense through forward Boris Diaw to take advantage of the mismatch he had in the low post.

“When we do that through Boris we are a different team,” D’Antoni said. “We had to switch identities and that takes adjustment periods for everything you do. We have to adjust or change the points of reference on the floor, ball movement on the floor — you are affected without a doubt.”

Nash said he thought the Suns “improvised too much” offensively.

“We didn’t run sets that we were used to running,” he said. … “We probably should have calmed down a little bit. I’ll take responsibility for that.”

HERNIA FOR HILL?
With an ever-present ice bag tucked inside his practice shorts at the morning shootaround, Grant Hill was resigned to not playing in Game 5. He was inactive for the first time in the series, replaced on the bench by rookie Alando Tucker.

And after playing in 70 games and resurrecting his injury-prone career during the regular season, to have to watch another chance to win his first NBA playoff series is yet another in a series of professional disappointments.

“We looked better without me (in Game 4), so let’s keep winning,” Hill said. “The last two weeks have been hard. Thinking about the whys … the hows … it’s a pretty tough thing. I just have to keep hoping that I have more to give, that there will be enough time.”

Hill’s abdominal/groin injury has some of the telltale signs of his second sports hernia — a tear in the muscles of the lower abdomen that can lead to the muscle pulling away from the bones. An MRI taken before Game 3 didn’t confirm the fears, but a true diagnosis is only possible through an arthroscopic examination.

After finally overcoming foot and ankle problems, Hill missed all but 19 games of the 2005-06 season with the hernia, which required surgery. At that time, he said he would consider retirement if he was faced with another surgery.

SAME SCRIPT
For the third time in as many games in San Antonio, a good first half of work by Phoenix unraveled in the final minutes of the first half.

The Suns reeled in a 30-22, late-first-quarter deficit with a 17-6 run, capped by a Shaquille O’Neal dunk and a 39-36 lead. But the Spurs, who cut deeply into Phoenix leads in Games 1 and 2 just before halftime, outscored the Suns 18-6 over the final 5:40 and ended the half with seven straight points. Tony Parker’s 3-pointer with 4.9 seconds left gave San Antonio its biggest lead (54-45) at intermission.

DON’T EVEN ASK ME

First, Dallas’ Jason Kidd avoided a suspension for his horse-collar tackle on Janero Pargo of New Orleans on Sunday. Then Monday, neither Boston’s Kendrick Perkins nor Atlanta’s Marvin Williams were suspended after both admitted going on the court to “observe” the skirmish between Kevin Garnett of the Celtics and Zaza Pachulia of the Hawks — with NBA Commissioner David Stern watching from the stands.

But none of the Suns were interested in comparing the decision to Game 4 of last year’s Suns-Spurs series — when Amaré Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were suspended a game from “leaving the vicinity of the bench.”

D’Antoni’s only reaction was, “I have enough problems of my own.”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach D' said:
“I have enough problems of my own.”

He's definitely a good soundbyte coach....that's for sure.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Terrible news for Hill if it's true. Looks like good guys really do finish last.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
"Suns coach Mike D’Antoni believes Nash was thrown off when Phoenix ran its offense through forward Boris Diaw to take advantage of the mismatch he had in the low post.

“When we do that through Boris we are a different team,” D’Antoni said. “We had to switch identities and that takes adjustment periods for everything you do. We have to adjust or change the points of reference on the floor, ball movement on the floor — you are affected without a doubt.”

Nash said he thought the Suns “improvised too much” offensively.

“We didn’t run sets that we were used to running,” he said. … “We probably should have calmed down a little bit. I’ll take responsibility for that.”

Is that code for the coach never practices set plays for half court style playoff basketball, therefore he didn't have the team prepared, even though they had the player talent to compete?

Maybe Boris' lack of effort during the season had more to do with the fact that the coach didn't use him properly until the playoffs. Which makes me even more sick to my stomach thinking about what this team might have done with a coach who actually ran set plays and practiced even some defense.

Same goes for Amare. I don't blame him for his lack of defensive ability or back to the basket post up game. I blame the coach for not teaching him these skills.

There is simply no excuse for this team not being prepared. And don't get me started on the coaches inability to call the right plays, adjust or have the right players in the game during the last moments of games one and five. Hell, he even left the starters in the last moments of game 4 when it was a blow out - risking injury.

So many coaching mistakes in this series that it baffles the mind.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
That would be sad for me as Grant has always been one of my favorite players. I hope he's able to give it one more go.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

Lack of preparation, you should be ready for this. See ya D'Antoni.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
As much as I love Hill, if he plans to play I hope its not with us. He is great and when healthy he is still one of the smoothest basketball players on the court but I can't sit through the whole season expecting an injury which is a guarantee. See ya Hill, thanks for playing for us!

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Hill, if he plans to play I hope its not with us. He is great and when healthy he is still one of the smoothest basketball players on the court but I can't sit through the whole season expecting an injury which is a guarantee. See ya Hill, thanks for playing for us!

Well he just confirmed today that he will be back next season, i dont mind hill coming back as long as he understands his limitation and not try to run himself into the ground before postseason

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Well he just confirmed today that he will be back next season, i dont mind hill coming back as long as he understands his limitation and not try to run himself into the ground before postseason

Did he confirm to be back in Phoenix with the Suns? Or possibly with a different team? Where did you here about it?

If with Phoenix, that's a good start to our offseason. :raccoon:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Id love to have Hill back next year, but it should probably be in a much reduced role. Id like to see him coming off the bench (possibly starting Giricek or Diaw) and playing less minutes, to hopefully keep him healthier.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If D'Antoni is fired, Hill will probably leave. Part of the reason he came to PHX is because of his short and less taxing practices. The new coach will probably have longer practices and have more defensive drills.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
If D'Antoni is fired, Hill will probably leave. Part of the reason he came to PHX is because of his short and less taxing practices. The new coach will probably have longer practices and have more defensive drills.
Yes, however a condition of D'Antoni's return may be that he agrees to modify his style to a more conventional approach and thus will have to have more detailed or intense practices. I doubt that "shootaround" practices will continue to be the norm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson