The Official: Who Do You Want to Coach Next Year?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I'll take Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich.

Maybe they'll want to step away and take on a real challenge to prove their coaching eliteness. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take someone of their caliber to turn around this mess. I can't see the usual retreads making much of a difference.

Iavaroni's about to be available....wouldn't that be ironic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? What has he ever done?

he got a horrendous #8 seeded Knicks team to the Finals, even losing Patrick Ewing during the ECF. That's more than DA's ever accomplished with a hell of a lot more talent.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be incredibly interested in JVG coaching this team. It could either be good, or a complete trainwreck. Under his strict style, after Pringles' free and loose system...man. It would be worth the price of admission.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The reason I like Van Gundy is that, even though he's a hardass, he exudes a passion for the game and an enthusiasm for what he's doing. Brown and Skiles, by contrast, always just seem grim, like they've been saddled with an unpleasant responsibility. Being a demanding leader is a much easier sell if your troops believe that you respect them and will share in their triumphs.

Van Gundy is the guy, but not with this nucleus. The Suns need to get out from under O'Neal's contract, and we all know there's only one way to do that.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
If there's no Larry Brown, then I think that Carlisle and Van Gundy are about even. I'll give the nod to Van Gundy, considering what he did to the Knicks team w/o Ewing. Van Gundy's teams always play hard physical defense, and he got it pretty raw in Houston last year. There's no shame in losing to a very good Utah team, and it's a miracle that Houston was one of the best defensive teams in the league, considering neither Yao or T-Mac are good defensive players.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
we need a tough coach...like this person in the pic:)

Attachments

• chuck-norris-002.jpg
    chuck-norris-002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 138

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I like Van Gundy is that, even though he's a hardass, he exudes a passion for the game and an enthusiasm for what he's doing. Brown and Skiles, by contrast, always just seem grim, like they've been saddled with an unpleasant responsibility. Being a demanding leader is a much easier sell if your troops believe that you respect them and will share in their triumphs.

Van Gundy is the guy, but not with this nucleus. The Suns need to get out from under O'Neal's contract, and we all know there's only one way to do that.

And should Amare and diaw leave the bench again... they would know JVG would have Duncans ankles covered! :D

I think Brown would be a good fit. He thinks defense first and is better with a rebuilding program.

CardinalsFan11

Registered
Reaction score
Larry Brown is going to Charlotte. Him and MJ have the UNC connection and he has a home in the area, you can lock that one up now.

As for JVG, he has already indicated that he would like to stay in broadcasting for another year. Could an offer from the Suns pull him away from that, maybe. But is JVG really that much of an improvement? IMO, hiring an assistant with a defensive background would help the Suns more than bringing in a new head coach.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
pat riley or larry brown, we need a coach with rings.
What about Rudy T? Haven't heard much about him lately. Besides Larry Brown, I think he's the only other coach with rings who might be available.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Interesting...

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/114949

ABC commentator and former Houston and New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy scoffed at the notion that Suns coach Mike D’Antoni should play his bench more in the interest of player development.

“Who do you want him to play?” Van Gundy said, incredulously. “(Eric) Piatkowski? (Sean) Marks? D.J. Strawberry? Are you kidding me?

“Now if you had said Marcus Banks (before he was traded to Miami) I might have said ‘OK, you paid money and you had a part in the evaluation of getting him as the coach.’ Maybe he should have played. But when (Steve) Nash bloodied his nose last year (in Game 1 against the Spurs), was anybody saying ‘Marcus Banks hasn’t been playing. That’s what got in our way?’ No.

“So who should he develop? Alando Tucker? You’re going to tell me that a late-first rounder’s development is critical to the Suns winning a championship this year?

“I think the Suns do develop their players. Nash went from being a really good point guard to being an MVP. Shawn Marion went from being a pretty good forward to an All-Star. Amaré Stoudemire went from being a pretty good player to being a great player … Who haven’t they developed? A bunch of (expletive) on the end of the bench? Those guys can’t play in the NBA in a playoff series. They do what they’re supposed to do. Be enthusiastic and be great on the bench.”

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Adding O'neal in the roster, would call a change in coaching style. So, from an offensive minded to a defensive one, I think that's JVG.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Van Gundy is singing D'Antoni's praises.

No matter who you get, no one is going to be able to polish this turd of a roster. It doesn't matter what coach you find, this team is not a championship team.

We can care about the new coach when the current Owner and GM are gone.

nowagimp

Reaction score
most coaches that win titles usually are.

So Phil Jackson was on a 5 year plan, right? Anyone who takes over the suns is 4-5 years away, so they should trade away talent for draft picks and salary cap room. The question is what good coach would want the suns job? Its been difficult int he past, the phx market is a second tier coaching job.

trade amare: by the time the team is ready, his knees with have 4+ more years NBA mileage on them.

trade Nash: only has 2 years left

trade shaq: if you can

trade Bell: 3 years left

trade LB: maybe the raptors want him

draft, draft, draft, then get some FA's, more FA's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose