Antrel/Cards' get disrespected....AGAIN

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's not on the team page, either. Weird.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good players and teams don't need the media to validate their efforts - they know when they've done good (and when they haven't).

3 interceptions for TD's (2 of which counted) speak for themselves. Antrel doesn't need a stat sheet to know he did good.

And what I really liked about all this was 'Trel's post-game comments - especially the part about "feeling good about his performance, but everybody still having a lot to work on."

Media folks aren't going to tell him that - he'll get that (plus all the validation he needs) from his teammates, his coaches and himself.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I wasn't sold on the idea of Rolle at FS before Sunday, but I sure as hell am now.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think our collective skin is a bit too thin

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that Rolle wasn't playing FS against Cincinnati; he was playing Nickle CB.

Yes, but he showcased a skillset that he could use at FS that I honestly didn't think he had. Great hands, anticipation and speed. He already can tackle well...take away the responsiblity of covering man to man from the LOS and let him move around and he'd be a sick FS because he CAN cover well, just not run stride for stride and stay with a WR through his cuts/breaks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What Don said. I know he wasn't playing FS, but he was playing a very loose zone as a nickel.

Cracks me up how so many continue to try to place a name on the position Rolle played last week. I bet if Clancy were asked this question, he wouldn't spit out a name, but rather describe the strategy behind Rolle's deployment...
He wasn't a CB. And in many ways, he wasn't a nickel either - however if this is the forced comparison, he was certainly much more like a nickel than a CB.
You can also argue that he was much more like a FS/SS or even a LB than anything else...
Point is - there doesn't need to be so much focus on the name of the position he played. Rather, the strategy behind it is what was so effective... I'll call him a SS/FS/LB and would LOVE to see him used in this fashion for the balance of the year!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Rolle went in only when the Bengals were in a 3 or more WR set, then he was playing nickel CB--especially if Holt remained in the game.

But, I agree with you that it was "different" than the traditional rolle (haha) of the position. He roamed a lot more and was a hybrid in a hybrid defense.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If Rolle went in only when the Bengals were in a 3 or more WR set, then he was playing nickel CB--especially if Holt remained in the game.

But, I agree with you that it was "different" than the traditional rolle (haha) of the position. He roamed a lot more and was a hybrid in a hybrid defense.

There ya go you great, terrific, inhuman person you!

:thumbup:

Reaction score

This is to my point. In the "hybrid" rolle ;), Antrell may not have been as restricted as he would be in the traditional position of a FS.

Heck, I don't care what anyone chooses to call it, just keep putting him in a postion that enables Rolle to use his strengths to make plays! :cheers:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He reminded me of David Fulcher (for some of you older ASU guys) when he played the "Devil Back" position.

The way Rolle played on Sunday, I bet he reminded a lot of the people in Cincinnati of Fulcher, too.

JTS

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't imagine what would go through a QB pre-snap if he had Rolle yo-yo on one side then Wilson yo-yo on the other side as Rolle comes up the A gap for a sack, then the next time he has Wilson attacking the weak side with Rolle center-fielding. There is an incredible amount of havoc that those two can play. They can both cover, get to the QB and stop the run.

I think Sunday Rolle was a nickle but they were certainly playing some 3 saftey sets especially after Rolle was in Palmer's head. You could see Rolle being coached on the sideline when the O was on the field, it seems like they were making in game adjustments with him in the second half making him more of a rover.

Jureki was saying this morning that people within the organization were wanting to move him to saftey but wanted to wait until the off season. It's almost as if he was getting a trial by fire for the first time on Sunday.