The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread on this doc so I figured I'd start one and spread the word to everyone...

GO SEE THIS NOW!

I don't shower praise on movies very often, but this is one of the greatest "sports" movies of all time and definitely the best movie of the summer. It's got a delicious villain who you love to hate, a lovable loser who you desperately want to win, conspiracies, montages, interviews... and it's ALL real. Seriously, you couldn't write this movie if you tried (although New Line thinks differently, already purchasing the story rights to the documentary).

So, Cheese, what the hell is this about you ask?

DONKEY KONG - yup, you read that right, it's about trying to set the world record in points for freaking Donkey Kong. I won't tell you any more because to do so would take away from just how ridiculous this movie is. just go see it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like American Movie. That was great entertainment.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, Coven.

Dude, it's pronounced Coh-ven. Because Cuh-ven sounds too much like oven. I gave long thought to voting for Mike Shank for president.

OK, you talked me into it. Kong me.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's pronounced Coh-ven. Because Cuh-ven sounds too much like oven. I gave long thought to voting for Mike Shank for president.

OK, you talked me into it. Kong me.

Gad, you won't be disappointed. I don't throw praise around that often, especially to comedies and ESPECIALLY to documentaries, but this is just one of the best films I've seen in a looooooooooooooong time. I pretty much e-mailed everyone I know and implored them to go see this before New Line bastardizes it into a mediocre Ben Stiller movie.

and do not, I repeat again, DO NOT read anything else about the movie - it's 98% fresh on rotten tomatoes and pretty much universally loved. That's all you need to know - anything else will takeaway from just how ridiculous and ridiculously well done the movie is.

and now that I've hyped the crap out of this thing, everyone should note that I think Loaded Weapon 1 is a comedy classic.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gad, you won't be disappointed. I don't throw praise around that often, especially to comedies and ESPECIALLY to documentaries, but this is just one of the best films I've seen in a looooooooooooooong time. I pretty much e-mailed everyone I know and implored them to go see this before New Line bastardizes it into a mediocre Ben Stiller movie.

and do not, I repeat again, DO NOT read anything else about the movie - it's 98% fresh on rotten tomatoes and pretty much universally loved. That's all you need to know - anything else will takeaway from just how ridiculous and ridiculously well done the movie is.

and now that I've hyped the crap out of this thing, everyone should note that I think Loaded Weapon 1 is a comedy classic.

I made this mistake - I read an in depth article about the film. I pretty much know everything that happened (including updates since the film was finished). I don't care though because what I read made me really want to see it even more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
cheese took a friend (female) and i to see it yesterday. and all i can say is . . . OH MY GOD!

amazing. i mean, unreal . . . and yet terrifyingly REAL! i have never seen, and likely never WILL see a documentary as entertaining as this again.

and i completely concur with cheese . . . don't read anything about it prior . . . just go and enjoy. then you'll be driven to read everything about it afterwards (i've spent most of my day getting updates on the 'net).

a must see. as much as i loved superbad, this trumps it. currently organizing another crew in OC to go see it again. i will own it. in fact, cheese and i were talking about going to halloween as a couple of the people from the flick.

just go see it.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Here's one more reason to go see this... one of the producers is none other than former Arizona Cardinals offensive linemen, ED CUNNINGHAM!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2060819/

Weird.

Seriously, you are all ******** if you don't try and see this movie.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Holy Crap! Here's one more reason to go see this... one of the producers is none other than former Arizona Cardinals offensive linemen, ED CUNNINGHAM!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2060819/

Weird.

Seriously, you are all ******** if you don't try and see this movie.

Ok, this got me. I will make the effort to go see this movie.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Haven't seen a thread on this doc so I figured I'd start one and spread the word to everyone...

GO SEE THIS NOW!

I don't shower praise on movies very often, but this is one of the greatest "sports" movies of all time and definitely the best movie of the summer. It's got a delicious villain who you love to hate, a lovable loser who you desperately want to win, conspiracies, montages, interviews... and it's ALL real. Seriously, you couldn't write this movie if you tried (although New Line thinks differently, already purchasing the story rights to the documentary).

So, Cheese, what the hell is this about you ask?

DONKEY KONG - yup, you read that right, it's about trying to set the world record in points for freaking Donkey Kong. I won't tell you any more because to do so would take away from just how ridiculous this movie is. just go see it.

Not playing in Phoenix. :slap:

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to this website http://www.billyvssteve.com/
it wont be playing in AZ until the end of Oct. And you will have to endure the smells Tucson to see it. Nothing for the valley. :(

Ebert and Roepert praised this movie as the best movie of the year.

Unless the major theaters (AMC or Harkins) picks it up, I will have to wait for it to come out on Netflix.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye out for this for months. Good to hear it might be coming to PHX sometime.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw...if it does show up in Tucson...I say we make an ASFN road trip....

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The solution is easy. Put it in your netflix queues now, and then fret over the fact that TONS AND TONS of movies every year never see a screen in your "major market" city. And then sit back and wait for the next installment in the American Pie series. I'm sure that'll be huge out there. HA!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solution is easy. Put it in your netflix queues now, and then fret over the fact that TONS AND TONS of movies every year never see a screen in your "major market" city. And then sit back and wait for the next installment in the American Pie series. I'm sure that'll be huge out there. HA!

Oh go cook some pork and beans, why don't you Schutd Boyardee?!

:D

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese is dead on about this movie. So many great characters that take themselves and video games so seriously. The fact that this is a documentary makes these people that much more ridiculous.

5/5

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cheese is dead on about this movie. So many great characters that take themselves and video games so seriously. The fact that this is a documentary makes these people that much more ridiculous.

5/5

stoked someone else has seen it and supports our thoughts. the fact that it's REAL makes it 2000 times more hilarious (and frightening).