Duncan may get suspension!

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Jalen Rose was on ESPN and said the league is reviewing tape when Duncan left the bench in the 2nd quarter. This is when Elson dunked and came down on top of James Jones and fell to the floor.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been said countless times here that Jalen says he THINKS the league SHOULD look at that.

Boy, this is escalating quickly.

:thumbup: to Jalen...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a chance. If you listed to the interview, even Jalen Rose says "there was POTENTIAL for an altercation. There was no altercation on that play so I don't see how this incident even applies to the rule that clearly states "altercation".

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
db mindtrick: You want to listen to Jalen and suspend Tim Duncan.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
db mindtrick: You want to listen to Jalen and suspend Tim Duncan.

I.....I.....want to listen to Jalen and suspend Tim Duncan.

Dang it. I'm not a league official.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...=yhoo&type=lgns

Part of the article from Kerr

However, if the league decides to suspend Diaw and Stoudemire, it may have to suspend Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen as well.

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.

Stu Jackson will have a busy Tuesday trying to sort everything out. The right thing to do would be to reprimand the players who left the bench area with a fine but not suspended them. The series should be decided by the teams and the players, not by an inflexible rule. The NBA needs to show some guts, announce that no suspensions will be made and have the Spurs and Suns continue what is turning into a fantastic series.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, who turns the word want into a contraction? :shrug:

Honestly, who goes around checking spelling errors on a sports forum? I caught it after I did it. Thanks. I feel so complete knowing that I was corrected and plege....no plede...no pledge to do better next time. :doi:

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Honestly, who goes around checking spelling errors on a sports forum? I caught it after I did it. Thanks. I feel so complete knowing that I was corrected and plege....no plede...no pledge to do better next time. :doi:

:biglaugh:

Relax. I'm just busting your chops a bit.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

However, if the league decides to suspend Diaw and Stoudemire, it may have to suspend Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen as well.

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.

Stu Jackson will have a busy Tuesday trying to sort everything out. The right thing to do would be to reprimand the players who left the bench area with a fine but not suspended them. The series should be decided by the teams and the players, not by an inflexible rule. The NBA needs to show some guts, announce that no suspensions will be made and have the Spurs and Suns continue what is turning into a fantastic series.

I'm sure the suns found this incident, and kerr was in on seeing it. Hopefully, there is something to it, Kerr seems to think so.

It would be ridiculous if anyone (but horry) got suspended, but if amare/diaw do, we need everything we can to even the odds.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Relax. I'm just busting your chops a bit.

You just threw a forearm and sent me reeling into the scorers table. That was after you kneed me in the groin while head butting me gashing my nose. I am sure it was all incidental. ;)

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
You just threw a forearm and sent me reeling into the scorers table. That was after you kneed me in the groin while head butting me gashing my nose. I am sure it was all incidental. ;)

I'd better be careful then. I see you've been working on them guns, and I have no doubt about your ability to land shots to the body and score some points.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd better be careful then. I see you've been working on them guns, and I have no doubt about your ability to land shots to the body and score some points.

I don't need to do my own dirty work. Just look at the enforcers in my signature. :D

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The title of this thread is very misleading and should be changed...

It makes one heart beat fast potentially causing problems.

OP
OP
CardShark

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score

This just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Jalen Rose was on ESPN and said the league is reviewing tape when Duncan left the bench in the 2nd quarter. This is when Elson dunked and came down on top of James Jones and fell to the floor.

Personally, I don't want any suspensions. I think Horry did a dirty play but let's just let the best players decide the series.

OP
OP
CardShark

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't want any suspensions. I think Horry did a dirty play but let's just let the best players decide the series.

I hope nobody but Horry gets suspended and that should be for the rest of the series. The reason I say for the rest of the series is based on his actions after the body check. If he would've shown immediate remorse and went to make sure Nash was okay, that would've looked like he didn't mean to hit him like that. Instead he turned and walked away and then threw an elbow at Bell when he came at him.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Not a chance. If you listed to the interview, even Jalen Rose says "there was POTENTIAL for an altercation. There was no altercation on that play so I don't see how this incident even applies to the rule that clearly states "altercation".

When Amare and Diaw stepped on the court Bell hadn't rushed Horry. So thechnically there wasn't any altercation.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
That's much more in the immediate vicinity of the bench than where Amare went, and there wasn't an altercation. I don't think the rule applies there. I'd be surprised if it did, very surprised.

Thanks for posting it though.

I agree. I am just hoping that the league lets everyone play and let the players decide the outcome, not Horry with less than a minute left on the clock in game 4.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I am just hoping that the league lets everyone play and let the players decide the outcome, not Horry with less than a minute left on the clock in game 4.

Yeah, I was thinking that could turn out to be the biggest "shot" of Rob's career.

Definitely a momentum shifter.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter...no altercation going on.

Something I didn't notice before was that the ref looked like he cut off Ellson. Was Ellson going after him? Does a ref holding back a player grounds for calling it an altercation?

Man I wish the league would just make a decision and be done with it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duncan goes farther into the court than Amare, who went up the sidelines. As far as whether or not it's an altercation, that depends on the leagues ruling of what an altercation is. Looked like incidental contact caused the foul from Elson hanging on the rim and swinging his feet around. Still it was enough to make Duncan have a loss in judgement and come off the bench onto the court past the 3pt line. That's the kind of situation where a tech could easily be called during the game for complaining and/or having 6-7 players on the court.

I don't think Duncan is MUCH more in the vicinity of the bench at all. Amare didn't even get to the scorers table and was along the baseline and only stepped into the court to get around the other Suns players who stood up and looked out to see what was happening. Duncan, and eventually Bowen, went out into the court past the 3pt line while the game was going on (technically the game was paused to wipe up sweat). It did look like the ref had to stop Elson from going after James Jones.

Last edited: