TV hook up question? Red, white and Yellow cords vs S-video?

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nevermind, once I took the game out it started working.

Stupid computers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the 360 what is the optimum connection for that system to an LCD TV?

That is a loaded question. Not all connections for all TV's are created equal. GENERALLY speaking if your TV has VGA out that is the way to go because the 360 can ouputs 1080p via VGA.

If your LCD limits your picture adjustment capabilities like it does on some HDTV's using VGA, you could end up with a washed out picture. In that case you might be better off using componant even though it will only be 1080i. If you can try both, compare then decide which one looks best on your TV.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a loaded question. Not all connections for all TV's are created equal. GENERALLY speaking if your TV has VGA out that is the way to go because the 360 can ouputs 1080p via VGA.

If your LCD limits your picture adjustment capabilities like it does on some HDTV's using VGA, you could end up with a washed out picture. In that case you might be better off using HDMI or componant even though it will only be 1080i. If you can try both, compare then decide which one looks best on your TV.

No HDMI for 360. It is either component or VGA.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right. Didn't mean the HDMI part. I am getting ahead of myself with the rumored new HDMI version of the 360. Fixed it.

Thanks.

Agreed. I will buy another, if they do get the rumored port, and the cooler running chips.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I will buy another, if they do get the rumored port, and the cooler running chips.

Ditto. I want the HDMI port. My HDTV VGA connection bites. My Mits limits picture adjustment capabilities via VGA. So I get a better picture using HDMI or component. Not to mention that I want the HD-DVD player. I just don't see a point in getting it yet though for my 1080p HDTV until the HDMI version comes out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided that I didn't want to spend $500 more for a VGA connection that will most likely be inferior. I don't even think that the Mitsu TV's display 1080p out of the VGA anyway.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided that I didn't want to spend $500 more for a VGA connection that will most likely be inferior. I don't even think that the Mitsu TV's display 1080p out of the VGA anyway.

The new Mit's HDTV's do. The problem is that the VGA port was intended for PC hookups via VGA. So they didn't intend for that port to be used by other sources and don't have the picture adjustment capabilities of the other ports. I also tried hooking up a upconverting (to 1080p) dvd player to test another video source and the TV info displays 1080p as the source on that as well but the picture is washed out.

So for me it's 1080p via HDMI or bust.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Mit's HDTV's do. The problem is that the VGA port was intended for PC hookups via VGA. So they didn't intend for that port to be used by other sources and don't have the picture adjustment capabilities of the other ports. I also tried hooking up a upconverting (to 1080p) dvd player to test another video source and the TV info displays 1080p as the source on that as well but the picture is washed out.

So for me it's 1080p via HDMI or bust.

Exactly. That is why I decided to save $500 and buy the TV that didn't have that VGA port.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Now I remember why I never used an S Video connection. Can't get them to plug in. Anyone have any tips or tricks to make the connection? I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I remember why I never used an S Video connection. Can't get them to plug in. Anyone have any tips or tricks to make the connection? I must be doing something wrong.

The S-video connector should have 4 pins and a flat tab. Looks like this when you look at the cable connection.

. .
. .
-

Better image here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video

The S-video connection on your components should have matching slots to fit the pins. Depending on the cable, the top should be flat and/or there is a notch on the connector that you want to point straight up and plug it in. Pretty easy. Just match the pins to the slots.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pretty easy. Just match the pins to the slots.

Can't be that easy. I spent a half hour trying to plug one in last night with no success. I guess the pins are just so small its impossible to match the pins to the slots. Did do a good job of scratching up the black plastic though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You just have to line them up. Use that little rectangular prong at the bottom of the cable as yoru vantage point. There really is only one way that they fit.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There really is only one way that they fit.

I haven't found that one way yet. I feel like the GM of the Cardinals. No matter how I try to plug guys into the roster nothing works.

Anyway the dish installer is coming today so maybe he can do it for me.

Thanks for trying guys.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
When I plug in my S-video cord, the TV goes black and white. Any ideas why?

Sounds like a bent pin or a bad cable.

Color is carried on a separate line in the cable.

And Duckjake about the plug; there should be a mark on the cable for top. Looking inside the cable it will be opposite the square guide. Sometimes they put the connector upside down but once you find the mark it usually goes straight up or straight down.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bent pin or a bad cable.

Color is carried on a separate line in the cable.

And Duckjake about the plug; there should be a mark on the cable for top. Looking inside the cable it will be opposite the square guide. Sometimes they put the connector upside down but once you find the mark it usually goes straight up or straight down.

Agree with was SirChaze said. If you wiggle the cable at the point of insertion do you get any color popping in and out? If not the pin might be done. Try another S-Video cable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.... You win.... I just ordered the OPPO DV-970HD. Thanks forthe heads-up!

You should post back when you have it hooked up to give us your opinion. I wanted to get the 981, but the Oppo website states that it has macroblocking issues on DLP sets.

How many manufacturers do you know that will actually list stuff like that?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should post back when you have it hooked up to give us your opinion. I wanted to get the 981, but the Oppo website states that it has macroblocking issues on DLP sets.

One? ;)

I spent a long time researching the 970 and outside of a few complaints about the disk tray appearing a bit flimsy, everyone is just crazy about it. And for a question back atchya, how man manufacturers do you know that actually include an HDMI cable with their machine? :)

I ordered it 2nd day air, so I should have it on Monday. I'll post a review then.

Again, thanks a million for the heads up!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One? ;)

I spent a long time researching the 970 and outside of a few complaints about the disk tray appearing a bit flimsy, everyone is just crazy about it. And for a question back atchya, how man manufacturers do you know that actually include an HDMI cable with their machine? :)

I ordered it 2nd day air, so I should have it on Monday. I'll post a review then.

Again, thanks a million for the heads up!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Definitely not Sony :)

No problem at all about the heads up. I decided to go with one of these, rather than the HD-DVD addon for the 360, and a HD-DVD player. Haven't regretting my decision at all.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't even know what it means. Sounds awesome. I'll take two.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not Sony :)

No problem at all about the heads up. I decided to go with one of these, rather than the HD-DVD addon for the 360, and a HD-DVD player. Haven't regretting my decision at all.

How's the "upconverted" regular tv picture look to you? The various reviews I looked at indicated that a lot depended on the HD TV, and the improvement ran from slightly better to noticiabley better (but none as good as HD). Whaddaya think?