TV hook up question? Red, white and Yellow cords vs S-video?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might already have that. All 5 speakers work for everything.

If that is the case, then for most of your components, you should not need to connect the red/white cables. If you have a digital connection, an analog one is not necessary.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If that is the case, then for most of your components, you should not need to connect the red/white cables. If you have a digital connection, an analog one is not necessary.

Yeah, I am figuring that out. I had everything hooked up more than once. I think it is confusing my tv.

Once the cable arrives I will figure it out. Thanks for the help, I might have more questions, though.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I got the cords and hooked it up. It is a noticeable improvement.

I don't see a s-video hook on my x-box 360. Is my only choice to use the rca cables since I don't have hd?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chaz. I went ahead and ordered it. Might as well do the whole system.

I almost bought an hd tv today, but I am going to hold out until next year at this time. :thumbup:

It is not a bad idea to wait, as the technology keeps getting less and less expensive. If you have the money, I'd say go for it. If not, you can join us in HD next year.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It is not a bad idea to wait, as the technology keeps getting less and less expensive. If you have the money, I'd say go for it. If not, you can join us in HD next year.

I have the money but I am going to build a buffer due to my unstable health issues.

I am getting nickle and dimed to death by the hospital bills and doctors charges.

Or should I say hundred to thousand to fifteen hundreded to death.

:bang:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer pro-scan dvd player and the instructions clearly state that composite is superior to S-Video (for whatever that is worth).

Here's a site that looks at the different video connections fairly objectively:

http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/video-connections.html

Then I would throw those instructions out the window, and never buy another Pioneer product again. I don't see how anyone can argue composite over S-video.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apologies.... That should read component video, not composite video. My bad.

And btw, fat chance on throwing away the Pioneer. It's one of the best for playing a wide variety of DVD formats. See http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers To see how your DVD player stacks up. It's a very nice compatibility chart. :thumbup:

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apologies.... That should read component video, not composite video. My bad.

And btw, fat chance on throwing away the Pioneer. It's one of the best for playing a wide variety of DVD formats. See http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers To see how your DVD player stacks up. It's a very nice compatibility chart. :thumbup:

phew, component >>>>>> composite

I already use the Oppo 970. Hands down the best DVD player under $200.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already use the Oppo 970. Hands down the best DVD player under $200.
People seem to agree, in general. However, the Pioneer DV-588-AS would be the best under $100. Only real problem with it is no HDMI, but it has both component and S-Video and plays virtually any and every format (obviously, it's what I own). However, when mine goes belly up, I'll probably splurge and get the OPPO.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Where would the digital coaxial cord run from and to?

I see the coxial "in" on the receiver but no out. Also I see the out and in on the Tivo receiver. I don't have a dvd player or vcr right now (lost a dual in the divorce).

So I am guessing plug the cord I ordered in from the tivo to the receiver? This will eliminate the need for any red or white plug ins?

The more I get it, the more I confuse myself.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would the digital coaxial cord run from and to?

I see the coxial "in" on the receiver but no out. Also I see the out and in on the Tivo receiver. I don't have a dvd player or vcr right now (lost a dual in the divorce).

So I am guessing plug the cord I ordered in from the tivo to the receiver? This will eliminate the need for any red or white plug ins?

The more I get it, the more I confuse myself.

Yep, connect the Coax out from the Tivo, to the Coax in on the receiver. As long as the rest of your speakers are connected correctly, you should be able to use your stereo speakers for your TV viewing.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, connect the Coax out from the Tivo, to the Coax in on the receiver. As long as the rest of your speakers are connected correctly, you should be able to use your stereo speakers for your TV viewing.
:thumbup:

Cool. That is the dolby digital right?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Cool. That is the dolby digital right?

If you are watching movies, etc that display in 5.1, yes. You have to use a digital connection (either coax, or optical) in order to get Dolby Digital.

P.S, if your receiver has another connection for your DVD player for example. You need to use that too. Most, if not all DVD's these days are in 5.1. You can't get it without those connections

technically you could use analog connnections, but digital is easier

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are watching movies, etc that display in 5.1, yes. You have to use a digital connection (either coax, or optical) in order to get Dolby Digital.

P.S, if your receiver has another connection for your DVD player for example. You need to use that too. Most, if not all DVD's these days are in 5.1. You can't get it without those connections

technically you could use analog connnections, but digital is easier

I don't have a dvd player or vcr right now. I used to have a dual unit but it was a casualty of the divorce.

The only things that run through this receiver, right now, are the Directtv tivo box and the xbox 360.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a dvd player or vcr right now. I used to have a dual unit but it was a casualty of the divorce.

The only things that run through this receiver, right now, are the Directtv tivo box and the xbox 360.

Your 360 has a optical connection on its side for the 5.1 surround sound too. Does your receiver have any optical connections?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go back to the monoprice.com and purchase an optical cable for your 360, (if you don't already have one. The optical cable connection is near the base of the cables, where it plugs into the back of the 360. It is a squarish type hole that it fits into.

I can suggest one, (find one) if I knew how long of a cable you needed.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Your 360 has a optical connection on its side for the 5.1 surround sound too. Does your receiver have any optical connections?

Speaking of the 360 what is the optimum connection for that system to an LCD TV?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the 360 what is the optimum connection for that system to an LCD TV?

VGA with optical out for audio.

the VGA is the only connection the 360 currently allows for 1080p

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Go back to the monoprice.com and purchase an optical cable for your 360, (if you don't already have one. The optical cable connection is near the base of the cables, where it plugs into the back of the 360. It is a squarish type hole that it fits into.

I can suggest one, (find one) if I knew how long of a cable you needed.

Which one should I get? A 6ft cable is more than long enough to go from the xbox to the receiver.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Alright.

The s-video connector came in the mail today for the xbox.

I plugged in the hookup to the xbox and then the red and white plug ins into the vcr2 on front of the receiver. I plug the s-video cord into the s-video plug-in on the front as well.

Sound but no picture. I think the problem is from the receiver to the TV. The only s-video hook up on the back of the tv is used for the direct tv.

Help?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose